Manhattan Beach Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to learn more about Manhattan Beach. Any information would be appreciated. I would really like to know what the town and beach are like. Also hoping to find out about schools and how the commute is to Santa Monica.

Thank You,
Gem
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:57 PM

Housing is very expensive, public schools are good, and traffic is horrible.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM

I've lived here 50 years so I think it's a pretty great town. It's a mix of people my parent's age who settled here after WW2 and live in mid century homes, new families with young children who can afford to buy the million+ dollar new homes which are replacing the older homes, and everything in between.

Manhattan Beach has a casual feel to it and is very hometown oriented. There is a yearly 10k run and Fair in Oct., and next Sunday, for example, is Fireworks at the Pier for the holidays. Much of the community goes to the pier with lawn chairs, strollers, wagons, etc. to enjoy the musical program and display. There are concerts in the park in the summer.

The beach plays an important part in growing up. Kids learn to play volleyball on the sand through the recreation program, or join Jr. lifegards or surfing or swimming classes.

Schools are top notch. Income is high.

My husband commuted to Santa Monica area for 10 years. Takes about a half hour if you take Vista del Mar along the beach, it's faster than the freeway.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Hi Sparklegem,

My input is 2nd hand - only what I've heard. MBANCY knows the place better...

I heard that its a mac-daddy pretty piece of costline. Pricey, Fancy RE.

Next, I heard that vollyball is the mac-daddy sport there. Which is, I think, a cool sport to play AND watch.

Santa Monica is just lovely. No kids so, dunno the schools.

Wish you well and future happiness. ;-)
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:11 PM

MB is fantastic. Great little community for vacationing or for primary residence. A mix of singles, marrieds, kids, no kids....

I have friends who moved from a 3500 sq. ft. suburban Raleigh-Durham home to an 800 sq ft. apt. two blocks from the beach at MB with no regrets. She was the only black chick in her Raleigh neighborhood and appears to be the only black person in her MB neighborhood too so not alot of racial diversity.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What's not to like about MB?

I mean, it's the home of the Mighty Mira Costa High School Mustangs! Go Micohi!

(Also some hodads that go to Aviation High. Hrmph.)
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, MBNancy beats me by 20 years. I've only been here for 30. Housing is expensive, no doubt about it. But if school test scores are an accurate indicator, we have some of the best schools in the state. The weather (and clean air) along the coast from Malibu to the Palos Verdes Peninsula is the best in L.A. Clean air and moderate temps make for lots of outdoor activities. Lots of joggers, cyclists, surfers, v-ballers and walkers out every day.

I suppose the traffic might be considered horrible by some (mlgb), but it all depends on where and when you're going. Within M.B., it's not bad (and I live on a fairly "main" street).

I suppose racial diversity is low compared to other places, as amwosu mentioned, but at one time there were four inter-racial households in a row on my street (mine was one of them).
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Hey, MBNancy - remember the Burger Buffet on Sepulveda? How about the soda fountain in the drugstore on Manhattan Ave? Or the way the LaMar smelled down front? By cracky.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:42 PM

MB is a great place to live. I lived in the tree section in the north part of MB and west of the PCH. Lots of trees, of course, and flowers and plants, and narrow streets so it was quiet.

It is also close and convenient to LAX airport. MB is only 3 or 4 miles south of the airport, which is good because the runways are aligned east-west. So, there's a major international airport very nearby and you don't suffer from it.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I'll add my endoresement to Manhattan Beach, having lived here for 20 plus years in the Sand Dune section. Lots of families on our block as well as a few older couples. Our block has had block parties every September for the last 7-8 years, and a lot of others do similar projects. Our children are grown, but the MB schools are supposed to be great and the parents are very active in supporting the district and Mira Costa. Plenty of nice restaurants, especially out on Rosecrans. Only thing that is a problem is if you want to go someplace downtown parking can be a problem (and they actively ticket) but the new complex on Manhattan Beach Blvd that includes the new hotel, shops and new police and fire department will add quite a bit more parking which should help.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM

I'm also a former Mira Costa alumni and grew up in MB. I say, if you can afford to live there, it would be a top notch choice.

I do agree that there isn't a ton of diversity within the school system in MB...at least when I was there. I was one of about 5 asians in my class it seemed. Maybe there were a few more. But I thought the schools were great when I attended and felt fortunate that my parents worked their butts off so we could afford to live there.

Back in the day, if you lived "east of sepulveda" (which we did), it meant you were on the "poor" side. Now of course all of it is pretty expensive. Parking is still more of a pain west of sepulveda, but even in downtown, I never have a tough time finding a spot. And as a point as to how community oriented this place is, downtown manhattan beach (as well as hermosa) offer free parking for 3 hours on the metered spots during the holidays. I love this time of year!

And yes, volleyball IS the sport in MB. We started playing early, and by the 6th grade it was a full part of the curriculum (I went to Begg middle school...if anyone remembers that!) Some recognizable volleyball names (Holly McPeak comes to mind since she was in school when I was) are turnouts from the area. Since there are lots of kids who are great at volleyball, if you stink at it, (like I did) there isn't a whole lot of chance of you ever getting better through the school system.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the great information. Sorry about my delay- I kept clicking on my name, every day, and it would say that there were 0 replies. What a nice surprise to find all this help. Thank You!!! It is definitely on our list. We will be coming down in February to look around and visit the schools.

One more question: Is there an elementary school that is the best of the bunch in MB?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:58 PM

One more question: Is there an elementary school that is the best of the bunch in MB?

My answer would be Pacific Elementary school, as I live a block from it and everyone in the neighborhood is very happy. It's in the center of town. However, I remember reading something in the newspaper, and all our schools were ranked in about the top dozen in LA County. The others who posted here seem to live around the 3 sq. mile city, so they would probably suggest their schools too, and would be correct.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, MBnancy. It amazes me to hear so many wonderful things about a town from the people who live there. It also makes me feel a lot better about moving!

Thank You!!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I agree with MBNancy re Pacific School (go Panthers!), but I admit to bias since I'm friends with the principal! Another friend volunteered at Grand View School and raved about it. (Nancy, we're practically neighbors! I live on Pacific...)
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Jean, I attended Kindergarden at Grand View School when my parents lived in their first little house, but then they built on Laurel/23rd where I grew up.
Now I'm somewhere around the corner from you!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 05:49 AM

This is so spooky to have people on Fodors talking about my elementary schools and streets (Laurel) where I lived (then moved from the Tree Dist up to the hillside a block above Pacific.) But hell, might as well ask, who was your fave teacher at MCHS?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:00 AM
lvk

I agree with MBNancy (as usual!) I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the MB schools. I have friends whose kids attend Meadows Elementary and they have nothing but great things to say.

For later years, they have the new, state-of-the-art Manhattan Beach Middle School. This is notable because there aren't very many brand new schools being built in L.A. County.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM

I went to Meadows...I thought it was a great school, but it was only the opinion of a kid. But I still remember my teachers...they were all wonderful.

MCHS...favorite teacher...hm. I remember a lot of my social studies teachers. Quigley, Sumpter, Lang. Dr. Whirry recently passed away...she was my English teacher.

But my favorite teacher was my 9th grade English teacher...Ms. Paulsen.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Pacific/31st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -