Manhattan Beach Hotel Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am heading out to LA next week on a last minute work trip, and am trying to figure out where to stay in the Manhattan Beach area.

Suggested to me so far have been Shade Hotel and the Belamar. Can anyone suggest any other nice, comparable options in Manhattan Beach? I need to keep it under $275-300/night and bonus points for something that is walkable to dining, shopping, etc. if I have down time in the evenings. Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM
lvk

Well, both locations offer "walking distance to dining, shopping, etc." The location of Shade allows you to do this in a charming, scenic pedestrian village atmosphere.
(www.downtownmanhattanbeach.com)

The Belamar, Marriott, or Ayres hotel locations are along large, 8-lane boulevards lined with strip malls. Plenty of great shopping and dining, but not quite the same experience.

A funkier option would be the Sea View Inn at the Beach. www.seaview-inn.com/

About 10 minutes south, you could stay right on the beach at the Beach House in Hermosa. www.beach-house.com/
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I will look into those other options. Shade was my preferred choice but it looks like they are fully booked my last night, so I would have to stay 4 nights there and then move somewhere else the last night. Is it enough better than the other choices that I should consider that? I'll have a rental car, so I don't think moving would be too much trouble.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I am not a fan of Shade, (living here) but think it would be ok for a few nights. The room balconies look out on busy Valley Dr. or cement/parking for the Police Dept. which they don't show in photos.

It is very hip, and the inside of the rooms, all very modern. I've been to receptions on the rooftop pool area, and it's very nice in the evenings, and close to downtown. Great bar area to watch the sunset.

If you are working all day, then you wouldn't mind the busy location.

Belamar is fine too, as the MB Mall is across Sepulveda, and many dining choices on Rosecrans Ave. It's another busy location, but easier to get to the area most people work in.

lvk gave you other good suggestions. Let us know what you end up with.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for a work trip, Sea View would be great. Come home to the sound of the ocean at night, with shops and dining within walking distance. Not a ritzy choice by any means but stay closer to the beach if at all possible.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. It is looking like it may need to be a combo of Shade and Belamar, as I just checked online and Belamar is full on Wednesday night, while Shade is full on Thursday. I'm going to have our travel service check again in the morning and see what my options are.

I liked the looks of the Beach House but they are also booked up except for suites that are more than my client will pay, and I think the Sea View has to be out since they don't have a business center. Default, I will end up at the Marriott but I tend to prefer places with a little more personality!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 07:10 AM
lvk

I really don't think either the Belamar or Shade are worth the hassle of packing up, checking out/in. (for the Beach House, I just might consider it ) If it were me, I would just go with the Marriott and drive the 5 minutes into downtown Manhattan Beach one evening, and maybe downtown Hermosa (www.hbchamber.net/) or Redondo (www.rivieravillage.org)on others.

If you really want to avoid the large chains, another idea would be the Portofino, which is a little farther south in Redondo Beach: www.hotelportofino.com/
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again - I actually did decide on the Marriott. It was the only one available for the entire stay and I am going to be spending most of my time working anyway, so I figured it made the most sense. Thanks to all who offered advice!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:04 AM
lvk

I hope you have time for a little bit of enjoyment. Let us know if you need restaurant recommendations. Just one hint --both the nearby Bristol Farms Cafe and the Whole Foods Market food court offer good take out options, if you don't want to eat hotel food.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM

We lived in Manhattan Beach until two years ago, and often went to restaurants out on Rosecrans due to the parking in downtown MB being so miserable (Cafe Pierre is good in downtown).

Like Salt Creek Grille in the new shopping center on Rosecrans and Sepulveda, also Lido de Manhattan in the Bristol Farms complex and PF Chang's is always good as is McCormick and Schmidt (last two are chains but they do a good job).
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Come back, jamie99! We've got lots of new parking under the Metlox Plaza and under the new Fire and Police Departments.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Good suggestion,Jean. For the most part, we head straight to the underground parking lot under the Metlox Plaza, (especially during crowded summer) as most restaurants we go to, are within a couple blocks.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM

The Sea View Inn's management is HORRIBLE. My aunt checked in almost two years ago for a 2-night stay and the guy on duty offered to upgrade her to a larger room (for a higher fee). She asked to have it just the first night because she was going to entertain a few friends, and the guy on duty agreed to let her move to the smaller cheaper room for the second night for an extra $20 "cleaning" fee. Well, when she went to check out the manager gave her a bill twice as large as she expected. You see, they have a 2-night minimum so he charged her 2 nights for EACH room, even though she only spent one night in each. 30 minutes of arguing ended with him cussing the poor lady out in disgusting language and then declaring "I don't f______ care what my employee told you. I am the owner and I make the rules. You are going to f______ pay whatever I want you to pay, because I have your f______ credit card number. Now get the f___ out!" She left crying, and needless to say disputed the charge with her credit card service - but I would rather spend the night in a cardboard box then spend one minute at the Sea View Inn.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM
lvk

Bob, that's terrible. Are you sure that was the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach? I ask because that sounds an awful lot like the management at the Sea Sprite Motel in Hermosa Beach.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with lvk. I really don't think the Sea View Inn people would be dropping the f bomb. The Sea Sprite, OTOH ...
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM

My brother and sil stay in the Sea View each time they come to visit, and the management is wonderful and very accommodating.

I've been recommending the hotel for years on travel boards, and get private messages of thanks, it's just what some travelers are looking for.

Sorry the experience was not good for your aunt, it's the first negative I've heard.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Yep, it was the Sea View in Manhattan Beach. I'm sure most of the employees are friendly - it is California after all. But I will never go back there after the way the owner treated my aunt.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Try the Shade Hotel or the Residence Inn Manhattan Beach.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM

bobludlow, that desk employee is probably long gone, if that happened two years ago. I don't think he'd last long with that attitude.

We were in Manhattan Beach last weekend. It's a nice little area. Mama D's is fun for Italian, if you don't mind a busy, crowded place. And up the street is the Kettle, which is a good, basic, friendly place with a varied menu. (I had a great hamburger w/salad for $8.75. My husband's chicken salad and my son's club sandwich were very good, too.)

Have fun there!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM

PeaceOut, the horrific guy at the desk identified himself as the boss, not just a regular employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -