Reload this Page >

Manhattan-any info welcome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Myrna

We are staying at the Days Inn Midtown Manhattan 790 Eighth Avenue. Will be arriving on Sunday morning in NY. We have a car but we have to pay for parking. Therefore, it would probably wiser to leave the car there and use our feet or cabs. What is within walking distance from the hotel? We would like to see a show or two. I understand there is a discount ticket place near by. Could someone give me the exact name and address.
How about other suggestions to see nearby. We have an appointment on Monday morning, then the rest of the day and Tuesday is free. Leaving on Wednesday.
Restaurant suggestions are welcome. We like all food. Better than Mickey D's but not the Ritz.
We expecially like mansions and antique furniture. Where should we go. Remember we have a car, so we can leave Manhattan.
Last question. Our son is looking for an antique engagement ring. Any suggesions for reputable jewelers? Thanks for your help.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:18 AM
rqf

Hotel is at W. 48th or W. 49th St.on 8th Ave.
All of the following are within walking distance.
Discount Tkts booth - 47th and Broadway. Broadway is One block east
Theaters - almost every theater is within a 5 to 10 minute walk.
Central Park - 1/2 mile straight up 8th
5th Avenue - three long blocks east - just a little over 1/2 mile.
For jewelry dozens on stores on 47th between 6th and 5th. Some must deal with antique jewelry
A very good central location and close to bus and subway transportation..
It would take the better part of a day but you could visit Kykuit, the Rockefeller Mansion just past Tarrytown,
NY - about 20 or so miles north of the city.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Sara

Myrna:

You may want to pay the full price to be assured of getting theatre tickets on Tuesday nite. Most theatres are dark on Monday and since you're leaving Wednesday, you only have the Tuesday nite to see a show. Good website for theatre info, purchases, seating chart, etc. is www.playbill.com. You have to register, it's free.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Myrna

ttt

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Myrna

Thanks rqf and Sara. I didn't know about Monday nights.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:59 PM
rqf

The following shows have Monday night performances and there is a good chance tickets will be available at the Tkts discount booth
Cabaret
Chicago
Les Mis
REnt
Sweet Smell of Success (begins Feb. 23)
Urinetown

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Myrna

I don't know anything about Urinetown. Is is a musical? A comedy?

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:25 PM
rqf

Urintown is a musical comedy.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Amy

Don't miss 42nd St after dark...between 7th and 8th Ave.....the lights and glitter are very exciting. If you are early risers and like the Today Show, you can stand outside the NBC studios at Rockefeller Plaza between 7 and 9 AM and watch for the group to come outside...Katie, Matt, Anne, Al. It's fun..just remembered, though, Katie and Matt are in Utah for the Olympics.