make new friends/these posts are great!

Old May 18th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make new friends/these posts are great!

I have posted both questions and advice on this board many times. Recently, I saw a post about some people visiting San Francisco from Great Britian who wanted to find a bakery who would deliver a cake to their hotel as a surprise for their Mum's birthday. I live in SF. So, I offered to pick up the cake and deliver it to their hotel. They took me up on my offer. I want to say that I made the most amazing friends! They invited me to stay and join in the celebration. I know that we will stay in touch by email and we have made friends for life. Just wanted to share this, as the board helps so many people with advice...and who knows....you just might make a new friend in the process!
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:26 AM

That's great, Andiamo!
I have tried a few times to meet up with people on my many solo trips to no avail.
Of course all my family and friends say how dangerous it is but I feel no threat with the regulars on this board.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:27 AM

How very cool! How nice of you to take time out for a (supposed) stranger - and make a friend in the process!
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:33 AM

How very nice for all of you! That was good of you to offer too, sometimes it seems that people are so reluctant to put themselves out for others anymore.

A lady I know ( a lovely Fodorite) carried a childs bike to Paris on one of her trips because a lady posted on Fodors about wanting it for a Christmas gift for her little girl. They are now friends.
I have done no favors but I am happy to say that I have several friends from Fodors who I count as real life friends
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Well, TTP, there are a few posters on this board that you probably wouldn't try to meet in person, I bet

But, I agree. The type of people that spend time on this board aren't the kind that stalk in chat rooms. I hope we aren't both wrong.

As strange as it seems, I think if I had car trouble in NC or Jax (now Portland) I could call on bonniebroad or Scarlett to say..."Starrsville here, can you help me out?" Of course, I don't know how to call them, but I still feel as if there is almost a support system out there for us.

Okay, someone is going to blast me and tell me I'm delusional and weird. But, I don't care.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Scarlett, I was typing as you were posting.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:41 AM

starrsville, If you are delusional or weird, then we will probably get along fine
Yes, you could call me Pup would be thrilled to have someone else to visit with ((&))

The stalker types hide, they are only bigshots online, they don't want to show their faces, so I would not worry about ever meeting one of them!

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:55 AM
OO

It's fun to do things like that adiamo. I've made some nice friends here too...a few I've met in person.

I was thinking about the bike incident too when I read this, Scarlett. I never could find the report though after she delivered it! That was the sweetest thing.

As far as stalkers...there was a serious one but I think we may finally be rid of him. I did meet him in person prior to realizing what he was all about--harmless, but worse than a chigger online! Starrsville: the Berry Fizz worked!! Yippee...I'm free. Thank you for your help and for taking the time to google that--you've got a friend you can call in San Antonio too.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:09 AM

OO here's a link to Croque Madame's thread about the bike: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...Text=Dora+bike

There are many wonderful people on this forum (they far outweight the kooks & dingbats IMO). I'd help a fellow Fodorite if I could.

Glad you had such a positive experience andiamo. I'm sure your kindness was very much appreciated too! Trish
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM

andiamo, what a nice gesture on your part! I'm glad it worked out so well for both parties.

I agree that there are some wonderful people to befriend on this board, as well as others.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I have also posted on cruisecritic.com prior to a cruise & chatted with some families online. We took a chance & met on the ship & everyone turned out to be really nice.

I have never done this on any other trips (although I did attend 1 NYC GTG), but I would not be adverse to it.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:33 AM
GoTravel

LOL!

There are quite a few people on this board I would like to meet but always miss the Fodorite GTGs. I think I was in NYC for the South Florida GTG and I'll be in South Florida for the NYC/NJ GTG.

Sigh, I zig when everyone else zags.

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:15 AM
OO

Trish, Thank you SO much for finding that thread for me! I'd looked before, unsuccessfully. It is so heartwarming--brought tears to my eyes when Croque Madame described Maelia's reaction to finding the Dora pillow doll. Sweet people--andiamo and Croque Madame, my guess is that you two got more out of it even than did the recipients of your generosity.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:19 AM

How come I havn't been invited to a GTG yet?
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:40 AM

ahhnold, Please come to our GTG on Saturday in Weehawken, NJ. The thread has been up for months, but consider this your very own personal invite. We will be delighted to meet you. Maybe your presence will even get Ryan to come out!
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Excellent! I"ll be the one wearing the hat that reads "happiness is being a Republican".
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Awesome! See you Saturday.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Just topped the thread on the Europe board
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Andiamo,

You are awesome! Kudos to you and congrats on meeting friends for life!
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:00 AM

always willing to help and meet fellow long island/nyc fodorites!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information