Search

Maine vacation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 06:00 AM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine vacation

My wife and I are visiting Maine in September. In an earlier post I asked about staying Bar Harbor for 4 days. Now I am told that perhaps we should consider staying in Southwest Harbor instead. Is one town more desirable than the other? Wherever we stay we will visit the other town. While we plan on visiting Acadia for light hiking, the proximity to the park is not that much of a concern. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 06:17 AM
J62

Those who told you to stay in SW harbor vs Bar Harbor, what were the reasons they gave?
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 12:07 PM

I think the idea is that SW Harbor is quieter, but I've not found BH to be that un-quiet, and I like to have a choice of restaurants in the evening. Either is fine, though.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
July and August can be a little crazy in Bar Harbor but in September you should be fine. Late September brings the starry night festival if that is of interest to you
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 05:29 AM

There is much more to do in Bar Harbor. We visit the area every year from southern Maine, and last year we went in September. It was still quite busy, but certainly not as packed as in summer. SH is indeed quieter, you can walk through the village in about 10 minutes.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 05:36 AM

We have lived in Seal Harbor (where there is no lodging) and Northeast Harbor (where there is limited lodging), and those are our favorite spots. Quiet and surrounded by the best estates on the island and the national park. Bar Harbor is very touristy, but, as mentioned, there are many restaurants to walk to. September is absolutely the best time to be there, especially between Labor day and when foliage season starts. Kids back to school, more sun less fog, still warm the first half of September. Southwest is a nice town to visit, but most of the park activities are on the other side.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 03:42 PM

Bar Harbor

We have been going to Acadia National Park every year twice a year for the past 15 years. September is the best time to visit indeed: no crowds, kids are back in school, so I would stay in Bar Harbor, if I were you.

We always stay ar the same hotel, The Bayview, and by now they have kind of become part of the family. The rooms are huge, all of them have balconies and face the bay, breakfast is served in the lovely breakfast room, is always homemade and so fresh, Afternoon cookies baked from scratch daily by their fabulous chef, Nora, are mouthwatering - so nice to come back after a long home and enjoy Nora’s sweet treats. They also have a great outside swimming pool. And their service is just second to none.

https://www.thebayviewbarharbor.com/
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 05:04 PM

We had two businesses in 1980's and 1990's that did business with Bayview when it was a family-owned business. I assume ownership has changed but we have stayed there since we sold our homes there, and the old estate spot if great and we recall a very nice lunch overlooking the water. And, although we prefer Seal and Northeast in the summer when they are active (and Bar Harbor is a very crowded), we agree that BH is the best base in September. It's easy to do day trips from there to all the various and wonderful villages on the island.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 05:54 AM

My trip report from a couple years ago, stayed in Bar Harbor:

Maine trip report -- Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I stayed in Bar Habor last September and loved it, especially the easy access to the National park and being able to walk to restaurants at night.

if the budget doesn't run to the Bay View, I can thoroughly recommend this B&B:

https://www.aysgarth.com