Maine Rt 2

Jul 13th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Maine Rt 2

One day ride from Montpelier, VT to Bar Harbor, ME. Just looking to get some insight on what to expect along the way. Thanks for any info!
Jul 13th, 2003, 11:32 AM

The Maine section is picturesque on the Western side with lakes and mountains. Most of the lakes are hidden by trees, however. If you pass a "camp road",(usually marked by a tree with 8 or 9 names of tenants posted on it), you might take a few minutes to detour and see what the lake & summer camps are like.

As you move into Central maine, the road is winding and rather slow-going in spots as you past through lots of little towns with traffic lights, etc.

Butler's Restaurant in Farmington is a good stop for lunch, or closer to Bar Harbor, the Hilltop House in Ellsworth bakes a mean TOLL HOUSE PIE.

P.S. for a great taste of Maine cookin', I wholeheartedly recommend www.mainecookies.com (Yes, those prices DO include shipping!)

Jul 13th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Joe, thanks for the road and cookie info. I've bookmarked the link for a future cookie order. Now back to Rt 2... How long a day are we looking at? 7-8 hours???
Jul 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM

Well, it will be a long drive, but scenic. Expect it to be slow going, because you'll hit a lot of little towns like Gorham, NH and Bethel, ME. It should take you a good day of driving to get between both places. I'd say about 6-7 hours. If you are driving on a Friday, it will be a lot busier, especially along 1A from Brewer to Bar Harbor. Good luck
Jul 21st, 2003, 04:41 PM

Oh yeah, take Route 2 all the way to Newport, ME and then get on Interstate 95 to Brewer, from Brewer, you'll take 1A all the way to Ellsworth and then 3 into Bar Harbor. That will be the quickest way at the end.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:29 AM

Route 2 driving is slow at times but worth the trip.
lots of little villages and interesting places - if you have the time to stop.
going through the white mountains is beautiful - on a relatively clear day you will see mt. washington - its gorgeous.
just east of gorham, nh the road will get very windy - but both sides of the road are lined with white birch trees that are worth a picture.
i would guess its around an 8 hour trip.