Maine August need air conditioning?

Jul 4th, 2003, 10:35 AM
caplan

Maine August need air conditioning?

We will be in Maine along the coast and to Acadia August 4 - 13. We don't like humidity; one of us lives in midwest, one in San Francisco.

Sould we look for only air conditioned lodging?

Jul 4th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Yes, we always want a hotel with a/c, even if it's cool enough. You might not have a cross-breeze and the room is stuffy.

2x we had a room w/o air and the noise from the parking lot and road is the reason we always travel with a fan now.

In most cases you are paying the same price as an a/c room, make sure you get it.
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:18 PM

From SF and can say I have been to the coast of Maine several times. I never found it particularly humid. I think we have stayed in places that have both had a/c and those that haven't. When we have been on the water, as in Isle au Haut or on Chebeague, air conditioning would not be needed. There were some days in places like Bar Harbor or Camden when we were found the ac to be a relief during the day but always wished we could just have had the windows open at night. We have only ever been in Maine in August.
Jul 4th, 2003, 06:57 PM

My hubby hates the humidity----and last August when we were in Boothby, Camden and BarHarbor I was SO glad I changed one of the B&B reservations to get AC. It was SUPER HOT and HUMID the whole time we were there!! If you hate the humidity, don't take a chance. I've been to Maine when it's been very nice with moderate temps and no humidity----but last summer proved that it's not always like that!
Jul 4th, 2003, 07:54 PM

You might try the Asticou Inn, not sure if the main inn has A/c but they have a couple of private cottages, too
Jul 4th, 2003, 07:54 PM

You might try the Asticou Inn, not sure if the main inn has A/c but they have a couple of private cottages, too.

www.asticou.com
Jul 4th, 2003, 10:51 PM

Kennebunkport has its moments and a lot does depend on the type of lodging and IF the windows even open. I always go to New England every summer to escape the heat and humidity and haven't been disappointed yet. I, personally wouldnt be too concerned, but the hottest most humid day Maine could ever muster doesn't begin to approach south Louisiana. Coming from SF though it might be nice to have it just in case.
Jul 5th, 2003, 06:30 AM
caplan

Just checked w/ midwesterner; after reading him your messages, wants a/c. For those who said yes to a/c, suggestions for where to stay -- mid-range price?

thanks to all for replying. so helpful.

Jul 5th, 2003, 08:13 AM

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Motel- I think is was the cleasent place we ever stayed. Older property but on the main road and mid-priced.

I look at Expedia.com to find out the hotels or search for the town name. Then make ny own arrangements. Don't like to fiddle around online to find the best rate when you can ask a live person about all rates and specials.
Jul 5th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Just returned today from 2 weeks in Maine. It was definitely HUMID when I left today and we had at least 4 other days I would characterize as uncomfortable and sticky. I suggest that you get air conditioning if you do not want to chance the Maine humidity. It may be nice enough, but you cannot rule out humidity in August. I grew up in Maine so know what I speak of.
Jul 5th, 2003, 11:39 PM

Wasn't it Maine who gave birth to the phrase, if you dont like the weather wait an hour?
Jul 6th, 2003, 12:07 AM

Lived in Maine for FIVE years. Neither my home nor car was air conditioned. There were, perhaps, a few days, here and there, this year and that, when I longed for A/C. My aunt, visiting from Florida in August, complained bitterly that she had to put a sweater on during the day and was freezing at night.

In the overall, though, August temps are comfortably warm (generally not over 90, or even 80) with little humidity. As soon as the sun sets, you'll appreciate a room with heat.

We now live in NH and visit Maine often during the summer months, booking rooms without regard to whether or not A/C is provided.

The overwhelming majority of accomodations do not provide A/C, as it is hardly ever required. Those that do are not "mid-range price".

Whether or not you wish to book with A/C depends upon your budget and the forecast. Humidity and hot temps are not the norm in August. Best bet is to book one room with A/C (if it's really that important to you) and another without, making careful note of the cancellations policies. Then, check the ten-day forecast before you leave home.

As for suggestions on where to stay, with or without A/C, you'll have to be more specific.
Jul 6th, 2003, 08:55 AM

My Mother lives in MAine now very close to Bar Harbor and the humidity is terrible. She has not stop complaining, I believe the term she is using is soupy to discribe it. She is not from MAine originally perhaps that is why she likes A/C. SHe has mentioned numerous times that most of her neighbors real born in Maine people do not have A/C . SHe can't figure out how they do it. SHe thinks it has to do with the MAine Frugality. Theyu mostly put a fan in the window and hope for the best
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Stayed at the Bar Harbor Motel in late Sept 2001, we were so happy to have air. It was 80 during the day and 40ish at night. Living in Arkansas humidity and heat are the norm. Today is 87 with 63% humidity, very mild for July in south Ark. It makes us think our winter may be a doozy.
Jul 7th, 2003, 08:40 PM

caplan---not sure what mid-pricing means to you----but we stayed in Boothbay Harbor at the Welch House Inn (B&B) Wonderful place----I think the rooms are all now air-conditioned and you could get a room anywhere from $100 a nite to $160 or so. Very pretty setting atop the hill overlooking the harbor. In Camden we stayed at a motel, nice, clean, nothing glitzy, no view (kind of a Comfort Inn-type place) I think it was called the Towne Motel $99 a nite. And in Bar Harbor we stayed at a very nice B&B called the Castlemaine for $160 a nite. www.welchhouseinn.com www.castlemaineinn.com

Jul 8th, 2003, 10:37 AM

hey there, most of the hotels in the Bar Harbor region or in the tourist areas for that matter, will have A/C available in all or most of their rooms. So, it's up to you if you want to turn it on or not. Have fun!!! Don't forget to drive or hike up Cadillac Mountain, first sunrise sighting in the Eastern US (because of the elevation).
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:45 PM

As luck would have it I was talking to my old boss who owns a home in Wells, Maine. I asked him about the weather since they're there every weekend in the summer and he said, "We only have A/C in the bedrooms, but we're sure glad we had it this past week."