Maine and/or Vermont Trip

Old May 14th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine and/or Vermont Trip

We were thinking of taking a trip to Maine but not sure what's there to see. Does anyone have a sample itinerary for a 4-day trip up to Maine in the Northeast. How about Vermont?
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:17 PM

I went to maine two summers ago and stayed in Bar Harbor-a quaint costal town at the edge of Acadia National Park. We went whale watching and saw humpbacks. Acadia National Park is amazing and there is more than 4 days worth of activites there. Vermont is also beautiful. We visited historical covered bridges-ben and jerrys ice cream factory-did some hiking at a few state parks- either state is beautiful so you cant go wrong. enjoy
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:52 AM

What are your interests? If you want great restaurants you might want to base yourself in Portland. If you like art, visit the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland and take the ferry over to Monhegan. If you like hiking and outdoor activities, visit Acadia. We like to explore, check the local paper to see what events are going on and spend some time just enjoying the view and eating lobster.
We are planning a trip to VT this June when gardens and plant nurseries will be at their best, visit Shelburne Museum and attend an antique engine meet.
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Bar Harbor is great for shops, restaurants & whale watching. Acadia National Park is awesome with many breathtaking views-hiking, car loop. biking, etc. Monhegan Island (we stayed overnight in Boothbay ) is a great day trip by boat(we took the Balmy Days II).Camden is a great coastal town with shops & the state park nearby for a great view of the harbor.We always enjoy stopping at the Trenton Lobster Pound before getting onto Mount Desert Island. The lobster is the best part!
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Don't know if you're still checking replies to this posting, but I have to put a plug in for Burlington, VT. We visited Vermont last August, and loved Burlington. It's a friendly, busy little city. Great shopping, good restaurants, and on the edge of a beautiful lake. Ben & Jerry's factory was fun, too. Also, check out Montpelier. I was tickled that the "capital city" was no bigger than the small town I grew up in here in Michigan. I heartily recommend The Inn at Buck Hollow Farm in Fairfax, VT, for lodging. It's a fantastic little B&B within easy driving distance of anything in northern Vermont. Have fun!