MacCullam House suites in Mendocino

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to beautiful Mendocino for Sept. I was looking for input on the McMallum House suites.Apparantly they are in a seprate building about two blks from the main property. They look very nice but I'm not sure about being off site.
If anyone han help I'd love your insight.
Also considering Stevenswood Lodge or Glevdeven Inn, but I'd prefer to be in town.
Thanks for your help
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM

They are quite nice - and I actually enjoy not sharing walls with other guests. It is a pleasant walk to the main hotel for dinner in the evenings.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Do go to the Whitegate Inn's website, and check that out also. Walking distance to town, and to the wonderful restaurant 955 Ukish we stayed there last spring.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Been there 3 times, we stayed at the Barn Suite this time and loved it. Great breakfasts. Stevenswood is really tucked away in the woods, though they advertise ocean views in some rooms, it won't be like the dramatic ones you'll have at MacCallum suites. Glendeven looked very nice, but it's a bit away from the town. We also liked Brewery Gulch, but my favorite place was the Cove Cottage at Alegria. btw- check out www.luxurylink.com and see if they have any auctions for the Mac house. We got 3 nights for an absolute steal.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:08 AM

http://www.luxurylink.com/auctions/a...39673&nav=dest

Check the details, they aren't offering the suites at this time, but have other rooms. Look at the bid price, 369, that includes a dinner for two! That offer starts Sept 5 and is good for Sun, Mon or Tues arrival. BTW, it's best to be in Mendocino during the week- weekends get very crowded. I have other Mendo activity suggestions..great hiking, restaurants, wineries, etc
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM

We loved Glendeven--very nice rooms, good breakfast, and a great walk through the meadows opposite the Inn all the way to the edge of the ocean.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:45 PM

We just booked McMallum House suites for mid August.

We have friends in the area and they both rave about the property.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM

We stayed at Stevenswood via a Luxury Link auction. I would not stay there again. Luxury, Not. All the floors are cold, hard and slate. Place echos like a dorm.

The room you are bidding on at LL faces the front drive and front entrance.
Noisy. So, their solution is to offer you the room across the hall-which faces the back yard-for an additional $30 a night. Slick.

The rooms are laid out in a strange fashion. You enter and there is a large built in closet and a mini frig. (We had asked if there was a mini-frig in the room for our use and they said yes. We got to the room and discovered it was fully stocked with a price list placed front and center. I showed one of the owners our e-mail confirming that they had told us the frig was for our use and he just shrugged and told us to just put it all on top of frig.) Back to the room lay-out....

After this sort of hall-like entry way
the room splits in half-left is a bed
and right is a sitting area and table
w/chair. Dead ahead is a fireplace.
So, when you have a fire you can only see it from the side and barely at that.

The bathroom has an ornate Italian glass sink-lovely except there is no shelf, no soap or lotion space, nada nothing, just exposed plumbing. We had to put our things on the back of the adjacent toilet.

The shower walls were peeling and the shower was enclosed with one of those hideous pairs of plastic sliding doors.

The first night we were there we were the only guests. We did not know this at the time. We slept in-and around 9:45
Mr R5 went looking for coffee. As he approached the front desk one of the owners no less than scolded him
that they had been waiting to cook us breakfast since 7Am or something. What?!?

I could go on, but you get the idea.

I would eat dinner there one night.
The meal was fantastic.
Happy to answer any questions.

Next time we'll go to McCallum !

R5
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Yikes R5!!!! What a nightmare.
Thanks for the heads-up.
I've settled in on staying at the McCallum House suites(newer bldg off the main property). The only thing on the main property available during my travel dates was the upper barn room(not suite). It did not look too impressive(quite small), unless someone tells me otherwise.
Thank you for all your replies. Any winery advice, dining reccomendations, can't miss activities, etc. are sure appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Okey dokey, then! Do you like hiking? The Pygmy Forest/Fern Valley Gulch is a beautiful moderate hike. If you start to the right, you'll end up going a mile uphill. If you're not in great shape, start on the left trail and it's easier.
http://www.trails.com/city-trails.as...ocino&state=CA
Of course, we loved grabbing a cup of coffee at Moody's and hiking the headlands park each morning while the world was waking up. Take your binoculars and look for water spouts (whales) in the deep channel. You can catch the Headlands Park trail by the church near the shore...walk the beach all the way around, it's beautiful. NOT to miss is Pacific Star Winery (not just the tasting room) a little drive, but the MOST incredible scenery. Pack a light picnic (cheese, fruit) and sit on the edge of the property with one of their excellent wines.
http://www.pacificstarwinery.com/pacstar/index.jsp
The Anderson Valley is a little bit of a drive, but you can visit many nice wineries. My favorite are Lazy Creek (hidden entrance, tastings in a family barn) and Roederer- gorgeous views, posh place, excellent sparkling wine. How are you driving to Mendo? If you're going through Philo, stop at the tiny Libby's restaurant for the best Tex-Mex north of the border. In Mendocino, we enjoyed 955 Ukiah, the Mendocino Hotel, the Moousse Cafe (yum) and one of my fav spots packed with locals is the mendocino Cafe, the one with the little porch close to MacCallum House. I wasn't crazy about our dinner at Mac House, but loved breakfasts. Lu's Kitchen- actually looks like a trailer tucked between buildings- makes great sandwiches and wraps and is great for a picnic meal. We also enjoyed horseback riding at Ricochet Ranch near Ft Bragg. We didn't eat here, but many locals told us that Sharon's by the Sea near Ft Bragg was the best moderate restaurant in the area. Next trip!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:01 PM

I second the Moousse Cafe
(surprise~surprise). We had a very fun dinner at the Albion River Inn-good food-not as good as Moousse, BUT
it's a really fun place to go.

Up in Ft. Bragg, make the effort to find Chapter & Moon down in the Noyo Harbor. Very low key, go for lunch
for superb and creative entrees.
The Mendo Bistro for dinner is another "not miss" must.

If you are driving any of the coast
Hwy 1 on the way to or from Mendocino, plan a brunch or lunch at Queenies
Roadside Cafe in Elk. After, go and prowl the grounds of the Greenwood Pier Inn. Magnificent views that will be causing you to plan your next trip !

Now Linda has to come back and tell us about that room so we can book our next trip !

R5
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM

We stayd at McCallum House in the upper barn room on a stop earlier this year. It is not a suite, as you know, but a comfortable room with a big stone fireplace. The suites you mention sound good. We enjoyed our dinner there, BTW.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM

We eat at Cafe Beaujolais every time we're in Mendocino.

We've eaten at 955 Ukiah several times. The quality has been spotty -- sometimes good and sometimes o.k, and for some reason, I've always felt the service was a bit indifferent.

Chapter & Moon isn't fancy, but it is good.

Roundman in Ft. Bragg sells great smoked salmon.

Meyer Family Cellars in Yorkville (Anderson Valley) has a decent port wine. If you are traveling to or from Mendocino through the Alexander Valley, stop at Field Stone winery. It is a yearly must for us.

We aren't very active when we go to Mendocino. We sit and look at the ocean, buy books at the wonderful bookstore (Gallery Bookshop) in town, then go back to our room to nap and read.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I can't wait until Sept to enjoy this beautiful part of the country!!!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM

sunshine,

We just stayed in the suites this past week. It is several blocks from the main building..prob close to a half mile.

At check-in, they told us that mnost people drive from the suites..but we just walked it...about a 10 min walk.

Friends of ours stayed in a cottage, next to the main building and their room was MUCH smaller.

Our suite was quite large with gas fireplace and large outdoor deck with hot tub.

PS. The corn meal pancakes at breakfast were fabulous
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Husband and I stayed 3 nights in Mendocino in May this year. One night on the way down to Palm Desert and two nights on the way home (to Vancouver).

On the way down we stayed at The Headlands Inn and on the way home at The Whitegate Inn. We really liked both of them. The breakfasts are served to you in your room at The Headlands Inn - you go to the dining room for breakfast at The Whitegate. The food quality at both inns was excellent. I think I enjoyed it more at The Whitegate (wine and nibblies in the afternoon in the front parlour and sherry and home made choc. chip cookies in the evening. Really nice. Really nice people there (guests and owners).

We had dinner at Cafe Beaujolais and at 955 Ukiah. Both were pleasant but neither knocked me out. I preferred our breakfasts at The Whitegate Inn!! Oh and we also had dinner at The Albion River Inn. Nice view and I recall my dinner was quite good (can't remember now what I had).

We did the Anderson wine valley and the Navarro winery was beautiful in May. They had the most beautiful, fragrant roses in the bathroom of all places!! We also did the Lazy River ... I felt the owner fellow looked like Hank Azaria's twin brother ... he, of course, didn't know who Hank Azaria was and so it was lost on him. Oh well.