Lunch suggestions near Myrtle Beach Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be picking my husband up at the MB airport next Saturday around 11:30 a.m., then heading on to Holden Beach.

I am looking for suggestions for a good seafood restaurant for lunch. We will also have my parents and our 5 and 3-year-olds, so we don't want anything real fancy.

Thanks and happy summer travels!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Try the Sea Captain's House. They have great luncheon specials. http://www.seacaptains.com/
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM
iceeu2

Holden Beach is in NC, right? I would stop in at Calabash at The Seafood Hut, or Ellas, or Beck's or Coleman's or others........and get a load of fried calabash shrimp, flounder, oysters, some mighty fine hushpuppies and loads of sweet tea.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
iceeu2

Oops, sorry, didn't pay attention that you wanted near the Airport.

You will be right at the new mall, don't remember the name. There's several places there.

Or, you will also be fairly close to Broadway at the Beach and there are a gazillion restaurants there.

Or, someone has told me that Mrs. Fish near downtown Myrtle is very good.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:18 AM
GoTravel

I second the Sea Captain's House. It is oceanfront at 30th Avenue North.

Wonderful view of the ocean and the she crab soup is to die for.

Exit the airport on to Bypass 17 North. Drive about three miles and exit 29th Avenue North. Stay on this road all the way to Ocean Boulevard (about 1 1/2-2 miles) and the Sea Captain's House will be oceanfront right on your left.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
iceeu2

Not to be argumentative with Budman and GoTravel, but knowing how my grandchildren were at 5 and 3, I would not take them to The Sea Captain's House. Just imho.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM
GoTravel

Yes you are.

he he he he.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I think they will be just fine at the Sea Captain's, especially during lunch. It's not a "formal" place.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Budman and GoTravel. She crab soup is just what I was dreaming about! Our kids regularly eat at restaurants, even nice one's so I am not worried about their behavior. I just didn't want a two-hour lunch.

iceeu2, we are planning on returning for dinner in Calabash later in the week. I will keep your recommendations for that trip!

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM
iceeu2

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate that they would misbehave! Lord knows my little darlings wouldn't misbehave either!

I just meant that they will be itching to get to the beach and not want to sit still for very long.

GoTravel and Budman, if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise, the real icee and I are headed to the beach for a few days over Labor Day. The she crab soup and everything else at Sea Captain's House better be damned good since y'all keep touting it! We are gonna check it out this time..........maybe.

motor city girl, where will you be prior to your husband arriving in Myrtle?

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:55 AM
GoTravel

icee, will y'all be in town Thursday August 31st?

I'm having a fundraiser for the ING NYC Marathon at Thoroughbred's Restaurant.

Open bar and heavy h'or deurves for $30pp.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM
iceeu2

We'll probably be there about midnight!

GoTravel, did you know Bob Brooks?

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

LOL iceeu2! My kids are always the best behaved...especially after a 17 hour car ride.

Let's see, where WON'T we be.

We leave Detroit Wednesday and drive to Columbus to see family. Have to stop for Skyline Chili. Then onto Portsmouth, OH for the night. My grandparents are buried there(too much info?).

Thursday we drive to Kernersville, NC and our favorite BBQ joint, Prissy Polly's.

Friday on to Dunn, NC for a family reunion. Leave Dunn Saturday a.m. to pick up hubby at MB airport. He is SO said to miss all of the above!

Then onto Holden Beach!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, that should have been SAD to miss the above.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

One more thing...I am not usually cheeky but I feel compelled to tease you iceeu2 for recommending I not take my kids to a restaurant you have never visited!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM
iceeu2

LOL, motor_city_girl! Isn't that just like a southern woman to dole out advice to an unknown place!

Well, you can help me when I travel to Manistee and Boyne Falls in October. I am taking my not so well behaved husband with me!

Honestly, I kinda think of the Sea Captain's house as an old folks home! The photos of it remind me of a restaurant we used to go to and every older person in the city went there for the Early Bird Special!

Our nephew has a place in Holden Beach. I know there is a place there that they love to go to eat. How about I ask about that for you?

I used to speed thru your fair city quite a lot. Flew into the airport and on up to sunny Sarnia. Know where that is? Just across the Canadian border at Port Huron.

Have fun!

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

I would love to have the name of that restaurant!

And I have enough Southern blood to be guilty of the same crime. My mama can look you right in the face and convince you she is the grand dame of anything!

Thanks for the help! I will be happy to help you in any way. I am not from Michigan and ashamed to say that I still do not know much about many places. But I do know a little about a lot. That damn Tar Heal blood!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM
iceeu2

The real icee is from NC. Troutman.

But, he can't use the word Tar Heel since he's a Wolfpack alum!!

However, the man can cook some mighty fine BBQ!

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM
GoTravel

icee, yes I did know Bob Brooks and was saddened by his passing yesterday. I figured something much more serious than he was letting on was up when he folded Hooters Air.

His children are very young.

Mickey Spillane died yesterday also.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:52 PM

I'll chime in a little late.

Good suggestion about Sea Captain's House. Ask to sit on the patio (enclosed, oceanfront view). The lunch special is always good. The hush puppies are too sinful to mention--darn, too late.

Another possibility that is oceanfront (relatively rare for dining in the Myrtle Beach area) is Bummz. It has a great ocean-front deck seating area, surprisingly good food for a bar/restaurant type place. At lunch it is more of a restaurant; at night more of a bar. It is about a mile south of Sea Captain's House (on Ocean Blvd near 17th Avenue North).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -