Lumbar pack for hiking Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be hiking down to Phantom Ranch with a group in mid March for one night. My husband is carrying a back pack and I'm carrying a very small camel bak back pack.

I think I'd also like to carry a lumbar pack. In my research they range in size from 200 cubic inches to over 1000 c.i. I'll be carrying a small amount of toiletries and clothing items plus water and snacks. I want it to be big enough but not so big I'm carrying too much weight.

Any suggestions on brands/sizes you've enjoyed using?

Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I looked long and hard for a comfortable day pack and ended up buying a Marmot Talus 36 (it's not a lumbar back), but it is very comfortable.

Have a great trip. I'm sure you'll love Phantom Ranch.

Gilbert
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM

You may want to look at getting a larger backpack that has an area that you can put your camelbak bladder into. Most of the packs have this.

I used to carry a large lumbar pack for a SLR camera & lens with side pockets for water bottles. I hated this hiking because it bounced constantly.

I now have a regular pack - better for me because it doesn't bounce and you can distribute weight between shoulders and hips.

Go to an athlectic store that sells different kinds of packs and try them on with the approximate weight you're looking at carrying - including water (heaviest item). A good store should have weights or something to approximate what you'll be carrying. then walk around the store. Whatever pack - make sure it has a well padded and wide waist strap. If you go with a backpack - make sure it also has a sternum strap. Backpacking hint: tie a bandana to the hooks where the sternum strap meets the pack straps. Good for sweat, dust, and you can hold onto them to rest arms and readjust the weight distribution.

You need to go to a decent outdoor store and try them on (not a Walmart/target pack). Each pack will fit differently. The usual suspects: Kelty, Marmot, NFace, Salamon, Mt Hdwear, Go Lite. But - You need to try it on.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Bigger than fanny but very comfortable with lumbar support and clip to hold shoulder straps secure together is Kelty's Redwing. Available at number of stores. Try Campmor, Sierra Trading Post (outlet store), Cabela's or REI to name a few.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

I ended up with a Mountainsmith Approach II W (Women's) and it was great. After realizing I would be starting at 15 degrees and ending up getting hot and would need room to put all those fleece clothes, I went with a larger bag. It had a large bladder and two side pockets for water bottles that angle toward the front.

Three essentiel items for a successful hike--good pack, roomy in the toe boots, two poles with rubber tips. The gel toe pads were awesome as well. Yak Trakx or crampons were essentiel for the snow/ice.

The trip was VERY difficult but VERY rewarding and awesome.