luggage shopping

Sep 17th, 1999, 11:36 AM
swig

luggage shopping

I have been shopping for luggage. I want inline wheels, 26 -30" suiter, soft sided, and......a color other the black!! Can anyone recommend a brand in the $175.00 range?

Sep 17th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Meg

Try Delsey luggage. We've had our about 5 years or so and have put it to the test. I looked at a nice roller suiter in that price range.

Sep 17th, 1999, 12:31 PM
jud compton

Nope, I can't recommend anything in the $175 range. We use Jaguar from JC Penney and find it very satisfactory. If anything should happen to it, we can replace it in the $75 (or less) range.
We've usually had about four two-week, fly/drive trips a year and usually are in a different motel every night or two. Our luggage gets a workout. Only once have we had damage, and that was from the airline. Please look at it, then you can go back to the $175 range.

Sep 17th, 1999, 01:03 PM
judy

Go to the nearest TJMaxx.......Good selection, great prices, and if you do have a problem, you have no trouble getting a replacement. Don't buy expensive luggage...it just gets destroyed.

Sep 17th, 1999, 01:22 PM
lisa

I don't know where you live, but here in DC the major department stores -- Macy's and Hechts -- have had most of their luggage (good brands -- Samsonite, American Tourister, etc.) on sale 25-50% off for the past couple of weeks and there have been some great deals. They're getting rid of some of last year's stuff so they'll have room for the newer things coming in. In fact, I am looking at today's Washington Post right now and Hecht's is advertising a 29" roller by Proformance for $49.99, with a 3-yr. warranty. Macy's is advertising a 3-pc. set by Skyway with 22, 26, and 29" rollers for $99.99 total. I don't know if these have all the features you're looking for, but maybe where you live there are some similar sales. By the way, all of the major brands I've been seeing seem to use in-line wheels now; I haven't seen any lately with the old kind.
I was just looking at Samsonite's top-of-the-line soft-sided luggage with wheels, and in addition to black, it comes in a very nice neutral green color. Several other brands come in that color too. I have also seen a couple of brands in red, navy, and (ugly) patterns. The disadvantage of black is that everyone's luggage looks the same and it leads to mixups at the baggage carousels -- next time I'm getting something other than black too.

Sep 17th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Donna

Check out the "Perfect Fold" at www.qvc.com - two sizes (smaller one comes in green and black, large in black only). These bags are fabulous! And, lots less than $175. Don't let the price fool you though. They're quality bags with lots of features. The current, newer models, have improvements not on mine, which won't wear out and I'd love an excuse to pick up a new one. A breeze to pack and "live" out of...

Sep 18th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Diane

My favorite piece of luggage for airline travel is a $49 one from T.J. Maxx. Not only does it have wheels, but it expands by one-third. This is great as I travel and buy things along the way. Also, I hate to spend a lot on luggage when the airline baggage handlers are so vicious with our luggage.

Sep 20th, 1999, 04:58 AM
Julie

I've always bought Samsonite when dept stores have it 40-50% off. Watch for sales!! They have a great hunter green color.

Sep 20th, 1999, 04:58 AM
Julie

I've always bought Samsonite when dept stores have it 40-50% off. Watch for sales!! They have a great hunter green color.

Sep 20th, 1999, 06:17 AM
wombat

We have an Atlantic II 29-incher that we paid $120 (sale) for. I call it a "dresser on wheels" because it's so huge. I think the color is called espresso -- no confusion for us at the carousel.

Got it at a Kohl's store, but support other responses for luggage shopping at TJ Maxx. Check out Lands End, too.