LUAUS WORTH MONEY OR NOT?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 01:40 PM
Ruth

Hi gang,

I'd really like to hear from everybody who's been to a luau as to whether they think it was WORTH THE MONEY or not? I've been to two luaus and the show part of one, and I'd like the opinion of others as to whether you were glad you spent the $60 or so for what you ate and drank, and the show that you saw compared to other things that you could have done with the money in Hawaii.

Thanks in advance, all!

Aloha, Ruth

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 04:34 PM
kam

Hi Ruth. Think every luau is different as every hotel is different. The better the hotel, the better the luau. The only one I could ever recommend is the one at the Mauna Kea on the Big Island. The others we've been to have been borderline at best. You've got to like Hawaiian food (which we don't especially) or you just go for the entertainment. I don't think I'd walk a mile to go to a luau!

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 09:54 AM
Sandi

Aloha, Ruth!

I just returned ten days ago from my first trip to Maui and Oahu. I had the time of my life! I also did a lot of advanced planning and reservations, trying to find bargains, etc. The best bargain I found was the Activity Owners Association on Maui. For $19 I joined this association. I received in the mail just 3 days later my Gold Card, which would offer me about 25% discounts to numerous activities. But the best part is the half price tickets that you can get directly through the Activity Owners Association office. I was staying at the Outrigger Wailea Resort, and the AOA just happened to have luau tickets for half price to the Outrigger luau. Regular price of $62, I saved $31 three times, for the three tickets I bought for myself and two traveling companions. These half-price tickets are also availalbe for several of the Mt. Haleakala bicycle tours, some helicopter tours, and the Trilogy Excursion to Lanai was also available. I'm not sure if any other luaus were included, but I certainly enjoyed myself at the Outrigger Luau. The grounds are beautiful, and the service was exceptional. They have the fire knife dancer who has won three world championships in their show. The food was awesome, so much to choose from, with an open bar to boot! I enjoyed my five-night stay at the Outrigger Wailea Resort also. It is in a beautiful setting, and the staff are so accomodating.

You didn't mention what island or islands you were planning on visiting, but if you go to Maui, definitely check into the Activity Owners Association of Maui. I don't have the phone number, but if you do a search on this forum, I believe it has been mentioned before. I am glad I saved the $31 for the luau, but if I had paid full price, I think I still would have been satisfied.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 05:16 AM
Jon

Everyone needs to go to one luau during a visit to Hawaii! What would you tell your friends back home otherwise? : )
Best luau on Maui by far is the "Old Lahaina Luau."

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 11:49 AM
Karyn

Do a Luau just to be able to say you've done one, and just think, you'll never have to do another again!

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 01:11 PM
Joyce

I agree with Jon. We went to the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. We had been told that it was the most authenic and we were not disappointed. The food and entertainment were worth the ticket price. You have a choice of conventional seating (at tables) or seating on the ground. You sit on mats but still eat at tables. We choose this option and I'm glad we did. When the entertainment began our seats were right in front. Luau or not...you will enjoy Hawaii. Joyce

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 07:17 PM
KM

We had a family of 12 at the "Old Lahaina Luau" on Maui for Thanksgiving last year and it was great. I would absolutely recommend it to everyone--just once to say you've done it! The food is very authentic, so be prepared for some different things, but much fun!

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 03:42 PM
Ruth

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my question! I'm going to have to go to "The Old Lahaina Luau," I guess, just to see for myself, since I keep hearing good things about it.

Mahalo again!