Search

Luaus in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Mark K

Luaus in Maui

I am going to Maui this Summer with my family. My wife has stated the desire to go to a "Luau." Who has the best ones, particularly in Wailea, approximate cost, what are they really and how often are they held. Thanks. Mark

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:35 AM
asr

The Old Lahaina Luau is considered the best on all of the islands. It is about 45 min from Wailea (between the two major resort areas on Maui). My husband and I attended it last Sept and had a great time. Book before you go as this one often fills up a few weeks in advance. I don't know about any of the Luaus in Wailea.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:40 AM
xxx

I second the Old Lahaina Luau. It is a pleasant drive from Wailea. It is held nightly, costs about $75 per person, and includes free drinks, crafts and such before it begins, the unveiling of the roasted pig, buffet dinner and a show. The show was impressive, telling a story about the Hawaiian people and dancing

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Ed

I also highly recommend the Old Lahaina. The food was terrific and the entertainment wonderful. In my opinion, it is the best on the islands. Have fun.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:44 AM
jan

My vote, The Old Lahaina Luau. We went last year was great!!! I highly recommend this luau. It's expensive abour $75.00 per person but worth it. We've been to other luaus, sorry but they don't compare. I believe in Wailea The Renaissance Wailea hotel has a nightly luau.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Kristin

I'm curious as to what makes the Old Lahaina luau so much better. Everyone says it is better, without giving a real good description of why! Any specifics would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:48 PM
ttt

to the top please

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
Tracey

I also rate Old Lahaina the best I've seen. It's not like other luaus. It is authentic Hawaiian dancing and crafts, you won't see any fire tossing Polynesians here. The show tells a story from the creation of the Hawaiian Islands to present day Hawaii. The dancers are incredible and the food is great. Before the performance begins there are a number of crafts that are demonstrated, from lei making to basket weaving to wood carving. They also have games being demonstrated that you can participate in. Then they have the Imu ceremony, where everything is explained to you. For the show you have the option of sitting on the floor or at regular tables. Unless you have a bad back, take the floor. It's closer to the stage, and feels more authentic. Hope this helps. See : http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
xxx

The Old Lahaina Luau has a reputation for the best food and entertainment. They attract the best dancers (most are beautiful - men and women). When we called the activity booking company, they said that there is no real competition. They only recommend other Luaus when this one is booked (which it frequently is weeks in advance).

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:51 PM
Diane

If you're looking for an elegant evening out, then I''d actually recommend the Feast at LeLe. I'm told it's owned and staged by the Old Lahaina group. However, its much more upscale and intimate. I've been to both and felt the extra money for the Feast at LeLe was well worth it. If you are bringing kids, then I'd say the Old Lahaina is a better option.