Darren

Luau on the Big Island and Maui ??

My fiancée and I are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in January
2000. We are going to be on the Big Island and Maui and we are
looking for the best Luau to go to on each island. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:05 AM
K.C.

Darren, On Maui one of the best for true authenticity is the Old Lahaina Luau. It is one of the oldest and best on the island. You have to reserve early (week in advance?) or as soon as you get to Maui since it is very popular. We've been to some of the other ones and felt they were very "touristy".

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 02:12 PM
Frank

One luau is enough to get the "luau experience". Most are very touristy and why lose a chance to enjoy the great restaurants on that are available. After your first luau, I fairly certain you'll agree that, as far as luaus are concerned, you've "been there, done that". Enjoy Hawaii!

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 04:05 PM
Ruth

Darren,

The Old Lahaina Luau on Maui is reputed to be head & shoulders above any other in every way. Just don't go to the one at the Marriott - Kaanapali! What a waste of time & money!

On the Big Island, the one that's raved about is the Kona Village Luau on the Kohala Coast. My sister went, said it was great. My husband & I attended the one at the Royal Waikoloan (now the Outrigger Waikoloa), and it was very good, too.

Keep in mind, luaus are overpriced, I think, so do try to get a discount (like AAA, coupons from tourist magazines, etc.) And I agree with Frank that one is usually enough. Considering the price of a luau, I'd stick with just one, and then spend the other money/evening on a romantic dinner. Believe me, you'll get far more for your money that way!

Have a great trip!

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Haniel Trisna

Hi,
we're going to Maui Late May - early June for our honeymoon. After looking at the website for Old Lahaina Luau ( which people seem to recommend most), I'm still not convinced that $70 is worth for one person's meal.

If I'm not too much into dances and culture (sorry), are the food really that good ?

Please help me justify the cost cause I have to 'sell' this to my fiancee if we're to have one at all.

Thanks Y'all

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 05:30 AM
Ruth

Haniel,

Don't talk yourself into one! The ONLY show - food combo that I feel, personally, is really worth the money they charge is the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center, on Oahu, when you attend their luau there, because the world class evening show (with fabulous music and dancing) is part of it. (Go see that sometime, even if you think you don't like that kind of show! Awesome!) I don't think most people like most of the authentic foods at a luau - I am a hearty eater, and was determined to like everything (I've been to three luaus) but really did not. To me the food was definitely not worth the money, it's the show that I go for!

If you aren't going to feel deprived missing a luau, I wouldn't give it another thought. I think your money would be much better spent at "A Pacific Cafe - Kihei" on Maui, and "Roy's Waikoloa Grill" on the Big Island. Love both places!

Aloha, Ruth

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Pete

Ruth's comments are 100% correct! Enjoy wonderful Hawaiian regional cuisine and pacific rim meals at many of the great restaurants. Luaus have steam-table, buffet line food in a mass-produced setting...ironically, it is not the Hawaii experience, merely the tourist experience. You will miss nothing and gain alot by better use of your dinner time!

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 06:31 PM
Haniel Trisna

Thanks a bunch Ruth and Pete, my sentiments confirmed. I think my fiancee will agree too.