Reload this Page >

Low-key Maui Trip Report

Search

Low-key Maui Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:51 PM
mj

Low-key Maui Trip Report

Just back from a very low-key month long visit to Maui with my two little ones-ages 4 and 8. My husband was only with us for a week so we kept things simple- and had a great time. Should also mention that this was our first visit to Maui since 1993 (pre-kids) and that we do yearly winter visits to
Kauai or the Big Island- and I have a real romance going with Kauai. That said.... a few Maui thoughts and recommendations:

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:09 PM
mj

Maui is busy! Took me a little while to get used to and accept the pace. You laugh? Maui's got traffic problems and lots of strip malls, a Costco, Walmart, KMart...less local flavor but I have to admit that it has great beaches, lots of accommodation options, and some incredible scenery.
The weather in late July and August was considerably hotter and more humid than what we are used to. There were a number of days when the tradewinds didn't kick in and it was HOT. When the trades are blowing, it's very comfortable and the ocean temperature was great. We had a couple of overcast days and one rainy day on the Northshore and some rain on the way into Hana.
Wanted to recommend a couple of places to stay. We spent two weeks at the cottages at the Inn at Mama's Fish House on the Northshore. While a bit pricey, the 2 bdrm cottages were wonderful and easy to recommend for a couple of days on the Northshore. We were wowed by the warm aloha we received there and loved walking a few steps to the secluded cove there. The tidepools were amazing and by afternoon they were like small swimming pools as the tide rose. A great spot for families. The cottages were meticulously maintained and the staff was delightful. My kids loved it and made friends with everyone there. Dinners at Mama's are discounted for Inn guests and no drive required after a couple of great maitai's at the restaurant. We had a charming groundfloor unit that opened onto a covered patio with wicker chairs and a hammock. Perfect for morning coffee with a view through the coconut palms down to the secluded cove and sandy beach. Loved it.
We also enjoy bumming around Paia Town. Our discovery this trip was Anthony's Coffee on the Hana Hwy in Paia. Great breakfasts and lattes. Worth a stop. Also picked up lots of treats at Mana Foods, a great place to stock up for picnics in Hana. Very granola but fun. Also loved early morning drives upto Makawao along Baldwin Avenue. The treat at the end of the trip is a cream puff or malasada at the funky old Komoda store in Makawao. The drive up winds through cane and pineapple fields and is sensational in the morning light or in the early evening. There is also a beautiful drive up past Makawao into Olinda. The road passes through bird sanctuaries and eucalyptus groves as it winds up the hill. Really lovely. This is a part of Maui that deserves more exploration.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:23 PM
mj

Left the Northshore and headed over to Kihei/Wailea for a couple of weeks. Couldn't believe the changes in Kihei. No more funky little beach town but I can see how perfect it could be for families with kids who are looking for beaches, affordable condos, and Pizza Hut. We stayed at two different spots which I'd recommend for different reasons. We stayed a week at the Kihei Surfside, which sits right at the Kihei/Wailea border. It is a great spot for families, especially those with young kids. The bldg is 6 stories and most of the units are one bedroom. The great thing about it is the price (great value) and the location. The bldge sits out on a little peninsula with a killer ocean view over Maalaea Bay to the West Maui Mountains. There is a huge lawn area (they don't make 'em like this anymore in Hawaii) with shuffleboard, a little putting green, a heated pool and lots of space for kids to run. Also, a couple of very zoomy high speed gas grills and a nice outdoor seating area. A short walk around the bldg takes you to Keawakapu Beach which is the first of the Wailea Beaches and is an excellent sandy beach and again, a good spot for kids with some waves big enough for some decent boogie boarding and good snorkling at it's rocky end.
Our other find was Hale Hui Kai which is slightly south of Kihei Surfside and sits right on Keawakapu Beach. This is a fairly small condo complex (three stories) with a lot of charm, a prime location, and meticulous upkeep. All of their units are two bedroom and even the garden view units are appealing. They also have a small pool but are better suited to couples and families with older kids- the deck railings were a little scarey with my little one. No lawn but lots of beach and great sunsets. Would recommend this spot in a heartbeat.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:47 PM
mj

Have to admit that Maui has it's charms-and it's beaches! Spent a lot of time playing at Keawakapu, also headed to Polo Beach in front of the Kea Lani for great boogie boarding. Secrets, a pocketsized beach mentioned in Maui Revealed, is still a gorgeous spot but has been discovered. We saw two weddings there and understand that there are usually several a day. All of the Wailea and Makena beaches are pretty terrific. Also did a day trip to Hana, one of our favorite spots. Again more crowded than we remembered it but still love the area and had lots of fun at Hamoa Beach. (Rain made O'heo Pools too treacherous for young kids and we love Hamoa.) Yes, both kids got carsick, even with dramamine but we all survived. (Understand everyone with kids does better with a convertible on this road.) Took the Kaupo Road out. My teeth are now all loose but the vistas are incredible and there was no way I was taking the kids back out on the twisty road. Plus, by the end of the day the lure of a junk food treat at the Kaupo Store outweighed their fear of nausea on the trip home.
Food. Bought lots of groceries at Mana Foods in Paia. Prices lower than at home. Don't know how they do it. Great spot if you're into organic. Also discovered that all of the natural food stores have great hot food bars with very tasty food and not all veggy. Had two meals at Mama's, both very expensive, one excellent, one okay-an off night perhaps- but still very tasty mai tais and desserts that night. Took the girls to the bar at Humuhumanukunukuapuaa at the Grand Wailea. (Yes, kids can eat in the bar but can't sit at the bar.) They had very fancy ice cream drinks in coconuts and had a ball. I treated myself to a seared ahi appetizer and we were all happy. Had lots a quick meals at Maui Taco's, a very tasty fast food spot started by the chef at Avalon. Kids loved it. Had one very overpriced meal at the Five Palms. Kid's single scoops of ice cream were $7 a pc. Nice location but highway robbery. (Did notice Maui restaurant px's are considerably higher than what we pay on Kauai or the Big Island.)
Spent a lot of time in the pool and the ocean but did a trip to the Maui Ocean Center, the aquarium at Ma'alaea, and would highly recommend it. Wonderful layout, beautiful exhibits, great staff, sea turtles, rays, very cool- a little pricey. Also took the Sugar Cane Train. My four-year-old loved it. My eight-year-old was bored. No sugar cane in sight but a fun, benign little jaunt. Forgot how pretty the drive to Lahaina is. Also enjoyed an afternoon walking around Lahaina. Ate Lappert's ice cream under the Banyan Tree and visited the Baldwin House Museum.
Maui grew on me. The beaches and sunsets are pretty spectacular. Still prefer Kauai's charms and South Kona's sunsets but wasn't a bad way to spend part of a summer. (And that was said with a twinkle and a smile.)

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Jeff

Thanks for the very detailed -- and rather offbeat -- trip report! When you return to either Kauai or the BI, I think you're going to realize just how much you really DO miss Maui!!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:04 PM
mmm

ttt

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:10 PM
kip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to the top for Wayne