LoveItaly-San Fran questions

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
LoveItaly-San Fran questions

LoveItaly: I know you are a san franciscan and I would like to know if I need restaurant reservations prior to my arrival? We are coming during easter week. There are a few restaurants I have seen you mention, Mona Lisa, Scalas, etcc..Do you need to make reservations for these type of restaurants.
Also I am thinking should I buy the city pass throught the blue and gold fleet and make my reservations for alcatraz? Should we plan for one day in Sausalito?
We are going to have five full days in San Francisco and I think I should have some plans so we see all we want to see. This is the list:
Chinatown, Alcatraz, Sausalito, Union sq. and Fisherman's Wharf.
We will have our two daughters with us 11 and 12 years old.
What do you think? Also, do you think chinatown will be open on Easter Sunday?
Thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi girlonthego. Regarding restaurant reservations; yes you should definetly make reservation for Scala's. I have never made reservation for the Mona Lisa, am not sure if they take reservations or not. One thing you could do is check with them. They always have a long line on the sidewalk of people waiting to get a table. When you are in North Beach you could check with them (if they don't take reservations) to see what time they suggest showing up so you do not have to stand in line (I refuse to do that). If you go there for lunch and arrive about 11:45am you should be able to get a table without any problem. Not sure about what time to avoid a wait at dinner time, but early. But again they can tell. My kids are friends with all of them so we always get a table without waiting but would imagine around 5:00pm would be good.

By the way, facing the MonaLisa on the left is another restaurant. I do not know the name of it but it is owned by a very nice Italian couple and the wife does all the cooking. The food has a reputation of being wonderful too. They for some reason just don't seem to attract the crowds the way the Mona Lisa does. I want to try them the next time I am in SF.

Kuleto's restaurant also requires reservations.

I don't know if you are interested in Vietnamese food but if you are the Slanted Door which is in the Ferry Building requires reservations also.

Yes, do make reservations for the Alcatraz tour. And don't wear your best clothes (lots of bird drippings on
Alcatraz). And do take a warm jacket, it can get nippy being in the middle of SF Bay.

Chinatown will be open on Easter. Kids always seem to love Chinatown.

Regarding Sausalito, I don't think you need all day. Maybe take the ferry over for lunch and sightseeing in the afternoon. This would be a good time to check out the Ferry Building also.

When you are in the Union Sq. area you might enjoy walking down Powell St. (hopefully the homeless will not upset the girls). At Market St., cross over and check out the SF Centre. Nordstroms plus lots of other stores are there. The center has a very unusual escalator that children always seem to get a kick out of. There is a tourist desk when you first walk in to that might give you some useful info.

And Lefty O'Douls on Geary, just a few door west of Powell St. is a great place to catch lunch if you don't want to spend a lot of time (or money).

If you are interested in Japan the Japenese Center would be a fun place to go to also.

And of course children always love Fishermen's Wharf and Pier 39. I know a lot of residents never go there but for sure that is a not to be missed area with the family. BTW, some have put down the Wax Museum at Fishermens Wharf. I took my then 12 old grandson there a year ago. Thought I would be bored but he wanted to see it. I really enjoyed it so this is something you might consider.

Do take a warm jacket as SF gets chilly at night and sometimes during the day too. Layering is the best way to go. And good walking shoes.

Oh, btw, the Italian cafe at the east end of Union Sq. has outdoor seating (as well as indoor). Lots of fun drinks including rootbeer from Italy. And good sandwiches and pastries. A fun place to relax and also people watch.

SF is a great city to walk in.

Do have a beautiful time. And I am sure you will.

Only other advice is do not give to the homeless. Once you do you will be hounded to death so to speak.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!!I am printing this out for my reference sheet.
The blue and gold fleet offers a city pass combo ticket. I am assuming this is the way to go?
Should I go ahead and make reservations now for the end of March? Wok wiz-is that a good walking tour? They offer a tour that starts with lunch.
Scalas is that an italian restaurant?
I am not sure how my kids will react with the homeless. I will tell them before we go to prepare them. Sometimes in life, seeing these things makes you appreciate all that you have. On that note, is it safe walking around that area with a purse or cash/credit cards? I don't want to sound silly, just be prepared.
I have seen Tongas mentioned. Would it be appropriate to take the kids there for a soda (for them) and one drink for us? Also, do you recommend top of the mark as a restaurant? We are staying on Nob Hill. I am thinking of Easter Brunch there. Any comments?
Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Mc Cormicks and Kuletos- do you recommend this restaurant? I can get a gift card for 100. for this restaurant (pts earned on amex) or Mortons Steakhouse or Benihana. Can you recommend any of these? In Japantown, can you recommend a restaurant there? Thanks for all of these questions. I have asked you once before about dim sum lunch. Would you recommend doing this with a tour? Than I will skip the fancy brunch on easter and head to chinatown for a dim sum lunch and tour. Thanks again!!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

More questions! Can you take a subway from the airport SFO to our hotel (stanford court) Nob hill? Thanks again.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Hi girlonthego. Your last question first. BART goes from SFO to downtown SF. You could get off at Powell St (Powell and Market), walk up Powell St. to the front of the St. Francis Hotel and catch a taxi. Or go one stop further on BART and get off at the Montgomery St. Station. (again at Market St.) and take a taxi.

The negatives are you will no doubt have 4 pieces of luggage plus a few carryons. BART is underground so you will need to get upstairs to street level which could be a work out with the girls. At the Powell St. station walking up Powell St. is very crowded (including the homeless). The is where the cable car turnabout is also but their is no way you want to try the cable car).

Here is what I would do. Call the Stanford Court and ask if they can arrange transportation for you from SFO.
If that does not work out go to the SFO website which is: www.flysfo.com and look at the links regarding ground transportation. Maybe with the four of you a taxi would not be prohibitive and the easiest way for you.

I am going to get back to you on your other questions (I won't forget : )
as I am trying to find the website for Scala's and a couple of others. My computer crashed some months ago but think I have info written down to (guess who never does a backup on her computer).

But regarding, wallets, money, credit cards yes that is fine. With this caution. Have your husband put his wallet in his front pocket or inside pocket of his jacket etc. He should not have his wallet in his back pant pocket.

I always carry my handbag with my wallet inside. Having said that I always have some extra cash and extra credit card and ATM card inside a zippered pocket insider my purse, just as a bit of insurance. And I use a handbag that zippers closed, not a tote bag where someone could just reach in and grab something.

girlonthego. I have never had a theft, pickpocket or any kind of problem like that in SF. The homeless are more like a nuisance, dirty, spaced out etc. Like an annoying fly that will not go away. They always try their pathetic act and try to make people feel guilty because they don't give them money.

And don't!! Once you start you will not get rid of them.

About your girls. I don't know where you live and whether it is a small town, large city etc. And what their experiences is with this. I would just gently talk to them and tell them to just ignore all of that. Maybe tell them that you and Dad help with charities where you can and that giving money directly to people to support their drug/alcohol/smoking habits is NOT doing them any favors. And make sure they understand that they will stay with you at all times, no wondering off. Even in Chinatown because there it is lots and lots of people, so easy to get separated.

And for you and your husband just do not make eye contact. Don't look at them in a pathetic way. They will try to sell you street newspaper. Just don't even respond. These people make a lifetime of looking for others weaknesses, so don't be. And I am not a cold uncaring person. But one just has to harden their heart a bit and just ignore and keep walking if one wants to avoid problems.

My grandsons all learned at an early age not to be scared, just to be street smart. Sort of along the same line as teaching them no "bomb/terrorist" jokes at the airport etc. Ah life today, crazy isn't it?

OK, I will get back to you on the other items. Hope you are having a happy Sunday.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Regarding your quesion on eating in Japantown. In the main big building, there is a great little sushi place where the sushi is put on boats in a "river" that circles the sushi chefs. You sit and grab what you want. They price it by the plates you have left (different color or pattern plates are different prices). It's fun, even if not the finest restaurant around there. I found that building remarkably like the top floors of department stores in Tokyo, where each restaurant has all the plastic food models in the window. In Tokyo, we'd grab the waiter and go out and point to what we wanted and my partner also learned the Japanese word for fork -- the word he found most important there. In SF, you won't need to do that, they speak English, but otherwise you really could be in Japan.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the help you can give me!! Thanks Patrick, I will look into Japantown. My girls like Japanese food, not sushi type, more terryaki (spelling?).
Loveitaly: I worked in New York when they had a homeless problem (at least it was visible back then, not anymore)A mayor change, changed that. It is unnerving to see all of these people wandering around. I remember going through the WTC and stepping over the bodies to get on the path train home to NJ. My kids are growing up in a small town atmosphere in suburban virginia. They are not exposed to much as far as poor and homeless. Things they do at school for the less fortunate are always third party. Is this a problem all over SF or just on the Powell st area/Union Sq.?
On the transportation issue, we will take a taxi. It seems the quickest and most convenient. I wish I had planned more than 6 nights in SF. You really spend two days traveling. That is why I said before we have 5 full days and one of them will be Easter. I do plan to buy a city pass to ride the cable cars from our hotel area to these other areas of the city. Do you agree that this will be the most fun and easiest mode of transportation around town?
I will heed your warnings on purses and such. I have been living in the suburbs too long also. LOL It has been a while since I was a city slicker. (or at least pretended to be).
I look forward to this trip. It sounds like such a fun and interesting city. Thanks for looking up the different things for me. I appreciate it very much!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks Patrick, LOL.
I don't eat Japanese food girlonthego, but dear Patrick has given you some info about a restaurant in JapanTown so that is great!

Also, I don't eat Chinese food anymore so have lost touch with the food in ChinaTown and the restaurants.

No I am not a picky eater. It is due to food allergies I have unfortuantly acquired.

So will have to leave it up to some other poster (Patrick?) about dim sum and also the tour as I really do not know. I am sorry.

Speaking of tours, the SF Public Library has all kind of walking tours that people really seem to enjoy. You might want to check into those.

Now Scala's. Here is the website. It is: www.scalasbistro. You can read their menus and decide if it would fit in with what you would like. I have never had a bad meal there. And service has always been wonderful. Anyone I have ever taken just raves about it (except my Rome born SIL still preferes the MonaLisa). Only time anyone complained to me was friends that prefer quanitity over quality.
You can go ahead and make your reservations on their website if you wish.

Since I don't eat Japanese food I did not even know there was a Benihana's in SF. Would imagine that JapanTown would be more fun however.

Morton's Steak House has a reputation of being very consistant. I fix steaks at home so do not usually order them out but Morton's is loved by those that have eaten there. I do have to check and see if they have primrib. Never thought of that. One of my favorite meats.

Kuleto's(connected to the Villa Florence) is a beautiful restaurant and their food is good. Still prefer Scala's though. That is right on Powell St., half block down from Union Sq. so you could check them out. They do require reservations. BTW, everyone loves their breakfasts. And reservations are usually not needed for breakfast. And their bread is fantastic.

The Tonga Room. A fun very unusual place. Years ago (more then I want to think about) we had our HS Senior Dinner there. You should have no problem taking your girls in there as food is served. I think the band starts their show (with the rain storms) around 8:00pm. You could check once in SF to see if youngsters are allowed then. I think you would all really enjoy it - touristy yes - but so what? Again, if I was coming to SF for a visit I would pop in for a drink.

Oh, McCormick and Kuletos. Some people complain about the food but truly if I was visiting SF I would go there. Some in SF do not want to go anywhere considered touristy. Rather silly IMHO. Wonderful view (lunch might be a good time to get to really enjoy the view).
Again, think the girls would enjoy it also. And there is Ghiaradelle Square and The Cannery that is fun.

Another great area (sure Patrick would agree) is Union St. Lots of great cafes, small shops etc. Very relaxing and fun. Haven't eaten at Perry's there for awhile but they always had good hamburgers.

You asked me about the Blue and Gold Combo ticket. I am not famaliar with that. Have only bought reserved tickets for Alcatraz. Does the combo ticket give a free pass on the Muni public transportation? I tend to walk everywhere so never us the cable cars (unlessI have houseguest with me) and have never riden the Muni Busses. There is the F Line trolleys (old trolleys from everywhere from Pittsburg to Milan Italy) that you can catch on Market St., and they take you down Market (where the Ferry Bldg is, along the Embarcadero to Fishermen's Wharf.

Another thing my daughter enjoyed while growing up was walking from North Beach to the top of Coit Tower. Fantastic views of SF Bay and surronding areas.
Almost sure you start at Filbert.
And while in North Beach you might want to go into St.Peters & Pauls Churh for a bit of SF history. Also, another restaurant (last time there had a great brunch) is the Washington Square Bar & Grill. It is across the street from Washington Sq on Powell St. St. Peters & Pauls is also across the street from Washington Sq. Also at Columbus and Vallejo Sts. is the old Catholic Church which is now a shrine to St. Francis.
BTW, the Mona Lisa is just less then a half of block going south on Columbus from this shrine. And while in North Beach you might enjoy popping into Biordi's to look at all the ceramic ware from Italy. Way overpriced but interesting to look at.

Wow! You need two weeks. But if you take a map and group sights that are near each other and do each area at a time you will be amazed what you can see and do.

Also by your hotel in the very beautiful Grace Catherdral. You might want to go in there for a few minutes to.

girlonthego. If anyone suggest that you go to a service at Glide Memorial, which is in the Tenderloin I would not. IMHO I do not think you girls would especially like that experience. Wonderful people go there but very strange people to. Although Sharon Stone, when she lived in SF loved to have her limo drop her off there. Too funny.

Another restaurant that you might hear about is the Grand Cafe. Another bistro (part of the Kimpton Group as Scalas and Kueloto's is). If you go there I would go at lunch. It is one or two blocks west on Geary from Powell St. This area is really bad a night. This would not be where I would walk with the girls. Took my 13 yr. old grandson on the block on Geary in Dec. around 6:00pm. It was dark and I have to admit we left pretty quick (the homeless were very agressive and the only ones on the block) inspite of all the art galleries, which is what we wanted to see.

The Mark Hopkins is beautiful. Have not had lunch there but would imagine their food is wonderful.

May I suggest you also bookmark www.sfgate.com which is the SF Chronical's website. This site will give you good info too.

Have fun planning your trip. I will be interested in hearing all the things you did. And bet you have good weather. SF weather can be beautiful, just don't forget to layer. BTW leather jackets are seen everwhere. And women tend to wear good looking jeans with a dressy sweater even in good restaurants, so you don't have to take a bunch of dressy clothes for evening if you don't want to. Take care.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Wok Wiz walking tour is awesome in my opinion!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:33 PM

SFamylou, thanks.

Have you ever taken any of the walking tours provided by the SF Library? I haven't but have read people really enjoy them too. Just curious because sometimes I have houseguest and thought it might be something worthwhile.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Ah, go to Beetelnut on Union Street in the Cow Hollow area. It is a fun, trendy place of various Asian foods to share. I've never eaten a bite there that wasn't delicious.
I'd go to Japantown for lunch in the big building. If I recall right, I think I've seen the blue roofed Benihana right by there, but it would be a lot more fun to eat inside the main building. If not sushi, then pick a place judging by the crowd you see there and the menu (or plastic food) outside.
I'm not the dim sum expert, but there have been lots of detailed suggestions here for that.
We tried to get into the Slanted Door this past trip for three days, including unsuccessfully calling over and over again for reservations. No luck. But I'd call a week or two ahead and definitely go there.

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM

This thread should go into a San Francisco SuperThread!
So much good information !
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Yes, great thread.

We will be in SF around the same time. We are staying with family and have done most of the usual touristy things before, but will try to do them all again as the kids are older now and will remember them.

One place that was very touristy, but still fun, was the Buena Vista Cafe. Any word on how it is now?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Ahhh The Buena Vista Cafe! I had my first Pimms Cup there !
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Scarlett--My family moved to the bay area when I turned 21, so perfect timing for me Many times my mom and I would shop all day, go warm up there with an irish coffee, then ride the cable car back to bart. DH has fleet week memories from there as well (or would that be fleeting memories???), lol!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:09 PM

>>>Speaking of tours, the SF Public Library has all kind of walking tours that people really seem to enjoy. You might want to check into those.<<

That's SF City Guides, which offers over 30 free walking tours each month. My wife is a volunteer guide for the two Victorian homes tours. You can see the schedule at

www.sfcityguides.org

Kids would like the Haight Ashbury walk, the City Scapes & Public Places, Gold Rush City, Nob Hill, Pacific Heights Mansions, Palace Hotel, Chinatown, Japantown, Golden Gate Bridge, and (perhaps) Bawdy & Naughty.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM

mms, I was hoping others would jump in with recommendations - I would think of one, and then think of another and forget the first. LOL.

The Buena Vista Cafe - oh yes it is still wonderful. And a great thought.

Also, the Maritime Museaum is down that way too, although maybe the girls wouldn't be interested, by they might be.

And Patrick of course has some great suggestions. Patrick, the Slanted Door, I am sorry you could not get reservations. But did you check the Ferry Building out? It is really nice. Amazing what they did to it.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM

PS on City Guides tours - they are conducted on Easter Sunday. That's when the Haight Ashbury tour is, the Nob Hill tour, and also the Victorian SF tour (my wife is not giving the tour that day)

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Thanks LoveItaly. Guess we will have to add the BV to our to-do list. Our week is getting quite full. We won't have much time at the grandparents for lounging with all the fun things to do!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -