Search

Lost in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost in New Orleans

I am in need of a moderate price hotel $100-$120/night with a pool and in a good neighborhood. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Nobody can give you a lot of help unless you say when you plan to go to New Orleans. A motel with a pool that meets your budget will be hard to find almost anytime in the downtown areas including the French Quarter. Motels on the outskirts or suburbs might fit the bill. Try something out near the airport. Good luck.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM
drh

I just booked a room at the Country Inn And Suites on Magazine St, It's walking distance to the French Quarter and has a pool for $79.00 per night. It just opened this year. Never been there so I don't know anything else about it but the neighborhood is good.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:12 PM

I haven't been to NO yet but have been researching alot, and found many that have a pool in the FQ, CBD & Garden District. The Frenchman (mixed reviews), Place D'Armes, The Drury Inn & suites, Country Inn & Suites, American Creole House (unsure about pool), Avenue Plaza Hotel, Embassy Suites, French Quarter Suites, Hampton Inn Hotels & Suites (unsure about pool, more then one location), Hotel St. Pierre, La Quinta Inn & suites & The cotton Exchange Hotel.
These are just a few (the ones that fit my needs & budget) but am sure you can find a nice hotel within the city limits to fit your budget unless a major event is happening on your dates of travel.
Good luck on your search, try the reviews on tripadvisor for specific hotels, in top left corner type hotel name in search box, very helpful.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Wayne...We will be travelling April 19-22.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

I have booked Le Pavillion (sp?. A little more than I wanted to spend but seems very nice. Any ideas about the neighborhood?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks drh...maybe you could get back to me after you stay and let me know how it went.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Dan

Your problem is with your dates. Jazz Fest starts on April 22. I'm surprised you found something at Le Pavillion even remotely close to your price range. Good for you!!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Dan...Le Pavilion is not exactly in the price range I was looking for (average $180/night) but it seems nice. Do you know if it is in a good neighborhood? Is it close to the French Quarter?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM

M_Hardy:
Le Pavillion is on Poydros (sp?) just a few blocks from Canal, which is the French Quarter, Central Business District divider. We have walked by that hotel many times, and it does look very nice from the outside. It appears to be a safe area.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM
E

I don't mean to highjack your post, M Hardy, but I just can't resist:
Hey, Wayne! Do you feel at all bad about being so rude to the OP, and then being proven wrong by every other poster???? I'm betting you do, since you're now conspicuously absent from this thread...
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Dan

Wayne wasn't being rude. In fact, I think he's generally correct. That $100-120 is somewhat low for a good hotel with a pool in a good neighborhood, all conditions of the original poster. In fact, he paid $180 to get these things because of the season.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:23 PM
annieladd

Good grief, Wayne was just being helpful. But, there certainly are some mean folks on this site. Hardy, someone mentioned it will be Jazz Fest. Are you going for that purpose? If not, you may be overwhelmed by the crowds. If you aren't going for Jazz Fest, and can go another weekend, you might consider it. Just a thought. I met a New Orleans native last week, and he recommended Bon Ton Cafe, haven't been there, but you might take a look at it. Enjoy annieladd

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM

I need to stick up for E, sorry again to M Hardy, and I will start that I have appreciated the advice and found it helpful but whenever I read a post from Wayne it usually sounds negative. Now yes if it is Jazz fest then finding a room in the $100 range will be hard, but suggesting some of the lower priced hotels in NO would have been helpful. I guess that's the problem with our world, it is hard to interpret the tone of someone's message through the typed word.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone...even Wayne...he was right...dates obviously help. I am not going for Jazz fest. Just travelling through on our way to Baton Rouge (smart daughter in National tournament). So dates are set. Thankfully we will be leaving on the 22nd when Jazz fest starts. I think I will keep my reservations at Le Pavillon even though it is $180/night and more than I want to spend. Still looking for a restaurant though...HELP
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM
annieladd

Not sure what you're looking for in a restaurant, but my very favorite (and of course for many others) is Commanders Palace, fairly expensive. For very casual, we enjoy Acme Oyster. And, pick up a mufalleta (sp?) at the Central Grocery.

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Annie...I have heard that recommendation from more than a few NO travellers. I think we will have to check it out.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:58 PM

We just stayed at the Amerisuites on Canal (used to be a Clarion I think). It was under your budget. Don't know if it had a pool (are you really going to be swimming there?)

Easy access to streetcars, short walk to French Quarter.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:48 AM

All hotels offer fantastically low rates at certain times of the year.... recently, I found $99 rates at both Rennaissance hotels, $119 rates at JW Marriott and $129 at The Ritz Carlton... If you spend a little time and call a few hotels, or search their websites, you will find some very good deals. Both Omni properties also have low rates.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:13 AM

If the weather is nice, not much in NO is better than lunch on the patio at Commander's . . . and lunch is less expensive. But with Jazz Fest, reservations may be tough to come by.

Also, Drury Inn & Suites is lovely with lots of extras, on the streetcar line, downtown (near Le Pavillion), and may be somewhat less expensive if they still have rooms available.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -