Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles - Where to stay for 1 month and more... ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

Me & my wife (from Sweden) would like to travel to USA - Los Angeles for 1 month in October, maybe Oct 01 - 30.

-------------- APARTMENTS --------------------------------------
I looked at hotels and apartments to rent and found that the apartments would be much cheaper for 1 month plus they looked nice & clean, but there are lot of them and in many different places, etc...

So I need advice on where to look for a nice & clean with 1 or 2 bedrooms, and must have high speed internet, and preferably a gym around.

Also, I would like it to be close to famous LA attractions, like disney land, univeral studios, etc... i know that everything is far from each other, so maybe it would be better if it was at least close to big shopping malls and supermarkets to buy some food whenever we need.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------- ATTRACTIONS --------------------------------------
Also need advice on what attractions that we should not miss...
Disney land, Universal studios, Sea World... What else ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any more advices would be appreciable..

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Are you renting a car? LA is has much improved public transportation and many of the popular areas such as Hollywood, Universal Studios, Downtown, Long Beach, and Pasadena have subway/light rail connections. Plus the Amtrak Pacicif Surfliner train can take you up to Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo or down to San Clemente, Oceanside, and San Diego.

Disneyland, the Beaches, and the rest of LA is better accessed by car, though it is possible with planning and patience to get there by Bus.

Sorry I don't have any apartment recommendations, though you can be assured that where there are apartments there is a good gym nearby.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Although a monthly rental may be reasonable, what type of driving do you plan on doing? Remember that transportation in Southern California isn't on par with European or even Eastern U.S. standards. Sea World is in San Diego and at least depending upon where you stay in L.A. it would be more than an hour away, possibly 2 or 3 depending upon traffic.

A huge place in itself with traffic so heavy that if you ask a local how far it is from Hollywood to Pasadena they tell you in time not miles. Like space travel

My suggestion is this; since you have a month, why not break up your trip into segments? A weekly apt rental in L.A. on a site such as VBRO. A week in San Diego taking in the beaches, Zoo and/or Wild Animal Park, Torrey Pines and our local desert. Move onto a week somewhere else like Northern California, or Central California or the southwest, Sedona and the Grand Canyon a week including Las Vegas if that is any interest.

Any major city in California is well stocked with grocery stores and shopping malls. No worries about that.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for reply!

Well yes, I am planning to rent a car and yes i am interested in also going to other places and of course will not miss Las Vegas.

Thanks for the suggestion about splitting the vacation (will think about it)

I will check VBRO but please suggest more places to look at as well, but they should be with very good standards not cheap ones.

Thanks
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Hi just wondering.....What price are you considering reasonable for a 1 month rental?
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM

I would suggest VRBO and look for places in Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Westwood....these are cities on the West side of LA. Easy to get from them to the freeway and go where you want to go. Also, they won't be as hot in Oct. as other places in LA. Don't worry about markets..they are everywhere.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Am considering to pay between $1500-$2500 for 1 month...
I didnt find nice apatments in VBRO
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM

I don't live in L.A. the only thing I know is I hate driving around up there. So, my advice should be weighed carefully with others.

If you're planning to go to Disneyland and , if you plan on going to Disneyland, San Clemente, San Diego (SeaWorld) maybe somewhere in Orange County or San Clemente might work out. Seems if you're going to Las Vegas you're going to have to rent a hotel there anyway, it's not really a day trip unless you fly.

If you stay further south of the LAX, it might be easier to go north to a couple of things in that area like Hollywood and The Getty Musuem. If you stay in the North you can escape easily up to Santa Barbara.

It's just too bad they don't build a huge bridge that can take people over most of Los Angeles. I apologize ahead of time to any Fodorites who live up there.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM

That is why I asked about the price. I know of a lovely VRBO rental where we stayed. It is not an apartment but a guest house on the owner's property, however they charge ~$3300 for a month.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a nice 1 bdrm 1 bath that is w/i (just barely) your budget downtown in Little Tokyo http://www.vrbo.com/196922

But the vast majority of apartments in good touring areas will cost more

You might consider shortening your trip a bit (to maybe 3 weeks) so you can stay in nice places for less total $$.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj, it was nice one but I might consider add more money for the rental if it was really nice place, so feel free to show me more expensive ones

Also another question:
How is the weather in Los Angeles in Oct? in other words can we spend good time on the beach swimming?

Also is the beach far from the above apartment?

Thanks
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Just for fun I looked at an apartment finder site that listed corporate rentals and found apts within your budget in all places, including San Diego.

The weather can be very hot in Southern California during Oct. Sometimes we get Santa Ana winds during this time and the beach is a good place to be.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Sorry, I should have added that Santa Ana winds are hot and dry winds east winds that blow from the desert.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM

I think that you might have trouble finding a one-month rental for that rate, except for studio that would not be larger than a hotel room, in a good neighborhood. It is a good idea to split your stay among a few places to reduce your travel time. There are a lot of suite hotels that include a living/sitting area and kitchen or kitchenette with refrigerators, microwaves, and sometimes a hob or full stove. Marriott Residence Inn, Embassy Suites are two chains that I like.

October is one of the nicest months to visit California, still warm, little rain, and usually not much coastal fog. Santa Ana conditions can also happen throughout fall and even winter months, usually they don't last for more than a few days at a time.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM

You asked about attractions. I'll start. With a few exceptions, I'll skip the kind of things that I know you have in Sweden or the rest of Europe. Like Museums of Art, Natural History, History, and Science, and Botanical Gardens, and Aquariums.

First, some "must sees". Some of these will sound silly. But when you get back to Sweden, someone is sure to ask about one or more of them.

1. Tour a California Mission. If you don't, it will be the same (sort of) as visiting France without visiting a Cathedral.

2. Go to Grauman's Chinese Theater and look at the Star's footprints/handprints in the concrete.

3. Go to the Hollywood Walk of Fame, where many actors and actresses have stars embedded in the sidewalk. (Yes, Ingrid Bergman is there). There is a website that tells the location of each star.

4. Find a location where you can stand and have your picture taken with the HOLLYWOOD sign in the background.

Finally, a must do. Eat "authentic" Mexican food frequently. Some say it's not authentic Mexican, but I say it is authentic "Cal-Mex". If you must eat a Taco, try to find a place that deep-fat fries them instead of using a pre-formed shell.

More coming.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Continuing:

Universal Studios: It has become mostly theme rides and a truncated Tram Tour due to a recent major fire there. Sets being rebuilt. But an OK attraction, nevertheless.

Warner Brothers Studios VIP Tour: A "real" studio tour. No theme rides. Considered by many the best of the studio tours.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM

More:

Getty Museum: Yes, it's art. Mostly old stuff from Europe. But the Museum itself, a complex of buildings, is the real art here. Good view of Hollywood and LA.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM

October is a hot month in LA. It starts cooling off around Halloween. Consider a place by the beach for part of your stay. This place located in Manhattan Beach, 3 miles south of LAX has a variety of room rates. It's a grouping of several properities, and has free parking. Unheard of at the beach! Some have kitchens, there is a small pool and flat screen TVs.

The Luxury rooms are nice. Free use of bikes, boogie boards, beach chairs. Located across from a local market, and many shops and restaurants.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM

More on Attractions:

Los Angeles Zoo. It's a good, but not outstanding zoo. Skip it if you go to the San Diego zoo.

Autry Museum of Western History. A small, but good, (and underrated) museum of western United States history. The section on how the West was portrayed in the Movies is a lot of fun.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM

IMHO, any location in the Los Angeles region SUCKS unless it is within 1-2 miles of the ocean, with a few rare exceptions.

I also live in Manhattan Beach (MB), as presumably does "MB nancy" , and I agree with her suggestions. A rental car is *mandatory* -- while Manhattan Beach is very pleasant, most "cultural" attractions require a 30-90 minute drive.

IMHO, most of these "Hollywood", "Beverly Hills", and "movie star" attractions are phony and a waste of time.

Not mentioned is Pasadena, rich in cultural attractions, and one of the few (only?) places I could live in, that is *Not* near the ocean.

The "Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botannical Gardens" is a treasure, and not often on a visitor's itinerary. It is located on the south boundary of Pasadena.
http://www.huntington.org

Also the famous Norton Simon museum of art, in Pasadena
http://www.nortonsimon.org

Many concerts, lectures, etc, at California Institute of Technology, or "Caltech" as it is usually called. A world-famous, small but beautiful, University campus in Pasadena.
http://events.caltech.edu/index.html (Schedule not complete).
http://www.caltech.edu

"Old Town Pasadena" has HUNDREDS of restaurants to choose from, although "Old" in Califonia means only 80 years
http://www.oldpasadena.com
http://www.visitpasadena.com

Other beautiful locations to visit in Southern California include :
Laguna Beach (many art galleries), 60-90 minutes drive South from Manhattan Beach.
Santa Barbara, 90-120 minutes drive North from Manhattan Beach.

This is getting further from Los Angeles ... but a one-way trip North on Highway 1 along the ocean, from Los Angeles to San Francisco, is HIGHLY recommended.
Major points of interest, where you may want to stop for 1-2 days (or more!), include:
* Santa Barabara
* Cambria
* Big Sur
* Point Lobos state park
* Carmel (also called "Carmel by the Sea")
* Monterey Peninsula in general. IMHO the *Best* aquarium in the USA is http://www.montereybayaquarium.org

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -