Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles in 7 days-how to keep inexpensive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 02:22 PM
Natasha Kadyk

I will be staying in Aneheim for a week at the end of August (into the first week of September) and I was wondering what cool sites there are to see in L.A.(I know there are lots) and any tips on saving money??? Also- is it a good idea for out-of-towners to rent a car??? (there will be four of us, all in our 20's). Thanks!

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 02:47 PM
David

Well...how's about eating at Taco Bell?

Seriously, though, that's a tough question to answer. You can get some pretty cheap motels in Anaheim (around $50 a night) which should help keep costs down. Inexpensive food is plentiful enough, especially if you aren't too picky.

For cheap entertainment, you can always hit the malls...there are dozens of great ones in LA. There's plenty of sightseeing that you can do for free--explore Hollywood and Beverly Hills, see how the both halves live.

Most of the museums have free days. Find out when they are--you might get lucky. You can always hit the beach, too.

One thing, though, you're definitely going to want a car. It's LA!

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 06:07 AM
Paul Rabe

First of all, you absolutely, positively, MUST have a car in Los Angeles. This city almost prides itself on having the worst mass transit system for a city its size in the world! Check out www.goalamo.com and then choose "Out of the Blue Specials" to see if you can get some special, last-minute promotion. Check your auto insurance to see if they will cover liability for this rental; if not, pay the extortion rate from the company.

When I was in Orange County last month, gas prices varied from 1.05 to 1.99 a gallon (the latter was for full-service premium). Pump your own gas and pay cash at a cheapo place; then make a note of where that cheap gas is located. Do NOT, under any circumstances whatsoever, return a car with anything less than a full tank a gas-- their own contact says they will refill it at $3.25 a gallon!

I have yet to find a place in the LA area(other than amusement parks) where you actually need to pay for parking if you're willing to walk a couple blocks. Drive around until you find a place to park, then just walk. At some beach parks, you can park a short distance away and walk to the beach without paying admission!

Buy a large plastic cup for soda at any convenience store, then refill it at any other convenience store and save a bundle on soda. NEVER buy soda at fast food places; it's where they make their profit!

As always, you can save a lot of money by buying food at grocery stores.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 07:21 PM
Tricia

Natasha- We are in the middle of a horrible heat wave now- h ope its over when you come. So you are staying in Anaheim?--Have you heard of Knott's Berry Farm. It was started by a farmer many years ago when Orange county was nothing but orange groves. He grew boysenberries etc and his wife made fabulous pies. They sold them at a roadside stand. Then came the chicken and pie restaurant. Then they added some shops, mules rides, a train from the Old West with Bandits that rob you! There are stagecoaches, gold mining etc. Unfortunately Walter Knott died and his daughter took over the park and has turned it into Disneyland! Lots of rides you like though! I still go for the Old West Ambience and food! Then of course there is Disneyland, the Wax museum and many other touristy things to do. Be sure to take a drive along the beach. Maybe see Balboa island! Or go down to San Diego for a day and see Shami the killer whale and the Zoo! Up in L.A. is Universal studios and the new Getty Museum. If you can stop into an Automobile club Office (all of U.S with affiliates all over the world) they can give you tour books etc if you are a member. Maybe be worth one membership, split 4 ways if you are going to rent a car! It also has motel listings, ratings and discounts to all members. You can also get a discount at the theme parks and car rental agencies if you are an AAA member. There is a website for AAA- just do some surfin on the net!

Good luck

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 09:05 PM
Ken

I always recommend to out of towners to go to City Walk at Universal Studios. It's free. Has lots of great stores and resteraunts but the best thing is the free sidewalk shows. Great place to people watch. Also go to the Venice Beach boardwalk. Absolutely lots going on there especially in the early evening. The people look like they're from another planet and there is lots of street entertainment, shops and food. Have fun.

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 07:42 AM
David

I'm afraid the theme parks mentioned 2 posts above are hardly inexpensive. Disneyland is $38 a head, Knotts around $30, and Sea World just as much. The Getty is impossible to get parking reservations for, unless you plan many months in advance. However, you can take a cab or ride the city bus--but be prepared for rather large crowds.

As mentioned one post above, the Universal City Walk (adjacent to Universal Studios--also expensive) is definitely recommended. (Just don't eat at the burger place; it's awful.)

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 08:31 PM
Gina

As a native Californian, I hope I can help you out a little. Yes, all the amusement parks are expensive, and the only one that is not really duplicated anywhere is Disneyland (I know about Walt Disney World, etc. but Disneyland is the original and best!) The other theme parks you can do without if you are trying to stay cheap. I would sayg gettin a car is the most important thing you will do. Call the various agencies in the phone book and shop around for the best deal. I find this often works better than over the internet. For cheap places to go, I agree with the CityWalk, although there is a steep parking fee that is only refunded unless you see a movie there. For a cheap and fun nighttime activity, Griffith Observatory can't be beat. The views are great, the whole museum is free, and if you want to go early, take a picnic and enjoy! Another wonderful free attraction is the Farmer's Market in the Fairfax area. Good shops, good eats, and it is also free, although you might have to pay for parking. Olvera Street is another freebie, although kind of touristy, but you might find it interesting, good restaurants. Another wonderful cheap thing to do if you like classical music is to spend a night at the Hollywood Bowl, a picnic is essential here, I might add. Tickets can be had for as little as $3.00 and it is one of my favorite things to do. Their schedule is on the internet. The only caveat is that parking can be as much as $10.00, but all in all it is still pretty cheap. If you would like any more info, please email me, I would be happy to help.

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 09:01 PM
Jane

Lots of good suggestions! Yes, the Getty is jammed, but worth it! Call them and they will tell you where to park and shuttle in. Also, go to the CityWalk at Universal Studios in the evening and leave your car with the valet at the gate ($5-cheaper than the parking building!). If you have AAA you can get discounts on those Disney/Knotts tickets. Also, the Best Western beside Disneyland has cheap rates and a door-to-door free shuttle to Disney entrance. The San Diego Zoo is a must. All these places have lockers so you can take jackets, etc. and stow them. Stop at Col. Sanders and get food to go then taken it in and picnic - they all have places. Hollywood Bowl is also a definite must. Call them (if they aren't online) and they will tell you all the places you can park free and take the bus in. The bus is $3 and is ONLY for the Bowl. I live next to LAX and there is a pickup point right here on Sepulveda Blvd. You don't want to hassel parking at the Bowl-it's awful. A fun thing to do in Orange County is the OC Marketplace on Fairview at Fair Ave. Ask anyone down there. It is a huge open-air marketplace - like a big swapmeet except everything is new. Costs $1 and parking is free. I can never spend less than 5 hours there. Also, drive to San Juan Capistrano - it's south about 15 minutes from Anaheim. Beautiful beach town and neat little shops.
Whew!

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 06:43 AM
NativeCal

I am a native California that lives in San Diego. First, your trip will not be complete without visiting San Diego. I have one message for Gina. As much as I love my California, Disneyland does NOT even compare with Disney World in Orlando. WDW in Orlando is much larger, more elegant, scenic and has far more things for all interests. I lived in Florida and I am definitely NOT a fan of that state but fair is fair. WDW wins hands down. Anybody who has been to WDW in Orlando will be very disappointed with Disneyland.

One of my favorite parks to visit is Knott's Berry Farm.

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 02:23 PM
Gina

Gee, NativeCal, you sure seem out to get me! I and my friends have been kicked off beaches in front of exclusive homes (ie Malibu, Newport) and told that we were trespassing on private beaches. If you go near some of these properties, they have erected physical barriers, such as jettys, walls and fences which have signs on them that say "private property". Could this be an elaborate hoax on us peons who can't afford it? Anything's possible, I suppose.

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 02:26 PM
Gina

Wow, I am just totally messing up today. The above post was supposed to be in reply to a post made in "I want to go the the beach SOON" topic, not this one. I apologize for the confusion (mine, not anybody else's!)

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 04:32 PM
Kay Stefferud

For inexpensive fun, the local beaches can't be beat. Two of my favorites are the area around the Huntington Beach pier and the very different small secluded beaches in Laguna Beach. Crystal Cove is the most well known of these, but there are lots of others which can be found by exploring the area west of the main drag. If it's hot, which it may be in late August/Sept. you could go to a diiferent local beach everyday. Others to consider are Seal Beach, Bolsa Chica, and Newport/Balboa Island.

At the end of the Huntington Beach Pier, the Ruby's Restuarant is very good and inexpensive. Ask for a table/booth with an ocean view.

Try to get a copy of the *Thursday* Los Angleles Times Orange County Edition as soon as you arrive if possible. The large Calendar section (in Thursday paper only) lists all sorts of activities including Best Bets and free activities.
Everything from night clubs to kid's activities is listed including prices.

You definitedly need a car. And with the car, don't miss the change to see San Diego for at least an overnight visit. I recommend Balboa Park which includes the San Diego Zoo. Pricey but worth it. Along part of San Diego portion of the drive consider taking PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) instead of the freeway.

If you think that you can handle lots of Disney, consider an annual pass for $99 each. That will enbable you to visit Disneyland everyday and see the park during the cooler and less crowded early morning and late night periods. There will be tons to do at Disneyland, and you won't run out of things to see in a week. Be prepared for a line to get the annual pass and for everything else at Disney.

(As a local, I defintedly recommend Disneyland over Knott's.)

If there are baseball fans in the group, the Angels have just remodeled their stadium, which is now dubbed Edison Field. The stadium is in Anahiem, so you'll be close. You can save a ton of money by having a tailgate party under the "Big A" before the game. Alcohol is offially banned but widely seen in the tail gate area. If you happen to be there on Friday, there is a great fireworks show which is NOT to be missed.