Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles: hotels? Two-night stay in a place where we won't need a car but can still sight see and have fun

Search

Los Angeles: hotels? Two-night stay in a place where we won't need a car but can still sight see and have fun

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hanging out with my two kids for two days before my 17 year old son leaves from LAX to go to Thailand. I'd like to be somewhere that won't break the bank, but where the three of us, as small town New Englanders, can still kick up our heels and be shocked and awed (in a wholesome sense!)As you can imagine, as a small town New Englander, I do not want to drive in LA! Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:12 AM

We loved the Biltmore in downtown. We stayed there with our 16-year-old boys. The hotel is old grandeur with a splendid historical indoor pool. With kids, stay on the club floor where they can feed all day for free.

From there, you can walk through the business district, along the opera to the cathedral, to Chinatown, and back through the historic district, along the city hall and the hispanic quarter back to the hotel (it is quite a loop and lots to see for one day, but you can divide the tour). Two blocks from the hotel, there is the Grand Central Market - with colorful hispanic atmosphere and tons of food.

Directly in front of the hotel is a subway station, so you have the chance to reach other destinations without using a car. There are also many bus lines in front of the hotel, but we didn't use them.

Downtown L.A. has been thoroughly cleaned up in the last years. It has become a rather safe area to walk. We even walked at night and never noticed anything suspicious.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:40 AM
amaclise

I would stay in Santa Monica where you can get to lots of beach areas both north and south of there, e.g., Malibu, Venice Beach. And you can also take cabs to Westwood (UCLA area), Beverly Hills and Hollywood relatively cheaply, or take the bus...

There is a well situated Loews Santa Monica Hotel right near the beach that might not be too expensive.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Anywhere in downtown Pasadena...it's a delightful city.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I second the Biltmore as a great choice. Our 17 yr old son had a good time, movie & TV filming at the hotel while we were there, great location. But, if the beach is where you want to be, really it would probably be best to try Santa Monica. Driving or bus to the beach from LA was a nightmare. I could just feel every wasted minute marching past as we sat there in traffic. Have a great time!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:27 AM

The Renaissance Hollywood at Hollywood & Highland is great!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Santa Monica!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Nice screen name!

What are your interests?

Lee Ann
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
amaclise

The other advantage to Santa Monica is you are super close to LAX to catch flights.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM

I think Santa Monica would be good for your kids however hotels there are not cheap especially in the summer months. The Loews that was suggested is around $400 a night. There are some other options that are cheaper.

I think alot depends on when you are coming to LA and what your interests are. I am not sure that you will be shocked by Santa Monica but the view and ocean are beautiful. There are quite a few homeless people in the Palisades Park that overlooks the ocean. They don't bother anyone but some can be upset by how many there are. I live down towards San Diego but when I am doing business in the LA area, I like to stay in Santa Monica. I just enjoy the view, taking a morning or evening walk along the ocean and visiting the 3rd Street Promenade for dinner.

It is tough not to have a car in LA but you could take a cab or bus as others have suggested to see Beverly Hills, etc. Going to Hollywood would be pretty far and expensive in a cab.

If you don't care about the beach, then the Renaissance in Hollywood would be good. You can take the Blue (or Red-not sure which) line to Universal Studios. The Grove and shopping on Melrose aren't too far away. You can eat at the Ivy where you may see a celebrity and I know rjw who posts on here has listed other places to go (coffe places,etc) where you might see a famous face.

Don't know if both of your kids are boys-two boys probably wouldn't be that interested in shopping and would like the beach more.

It really isn't difficult to drive in Los Angeles. For two days, you could get around without hardly getting on the freeway. From LAX you could talk Lincoln over to Santa Monica, stopping in Venice Beach. Then from Santa Monica, take Santa Monica Blvd east into Beverly Hills and then into Hollywood. It's a pretty long drive that way with lots of lights but you certainly don't have to worry about freeway drivers. I would suggest it.

Then on the way back to Santa Monica, you could take Sunset Blvd back. You could see where the stars live (although you can't really see anything but trees and gates). You could see UCLA campus and then cut back over to Santa Monica Blvd back to your hotel.

Let us know your interests and when you are traveling and we can help you more.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

We all love theatre, my daughter is definitely into shopping (and has the entire screenplay to Clueless memororized, her favorite movie of all time, so I think we need a "Clueless tour") and my son, well, it is music, music, music, and he's going to be anxious anyway about going to Thailand so there may be no pleasing him.

My friend in Sherman Oaks keeps telling me there is NOTHING TO DO in downtown Los Angeles, that it is dead, but you all have convinced me that we could spend two days clomping around easily. Thanks for the input and if you think of anything else, let me know. I still haven't settled on a hotel; I just know we need a pool so my daughter will occasionally let me sit down.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
amaclise

Listen to your friend.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM

I absolutely would NOT stay downtown. Your friend is right. Santa Monica, Hollywood or Beverly Hills would be your best bet.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When people say there is nothing to do in downtown L.A., I always want to ask when's the last time they've been there...

Four museums, a cathedral, Disney Hall (equally amazing inside and out), Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (music, dance and theater), Mark Taper Forum (theater), Ahmanson Auditorium (musicals, theater), Staples Center (NBA basketball, NHL hockey, pro tennis, boxing, concerts), the Coliseum (USC football), and as a previous poster noted, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Olvera Street. Easy train transportation to Pasadena, Hollywood and Universal Studios. Easy bus transportation to LAX, the Grove and Beverly Hills.

Yep, nothing at all to do...

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sure there are things to see/do downtown. But to list sites like the Coliseum and Staples when none of the Lakers, Clippers, Kings or USC football teams are playing again until next Fall sure seems to be stretching things.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We don't know when the OP's trip is. (USC's first home game is in 90 days.) There are events at Staples Center almost every day of the year.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM
trippinkpj

I stayed at the Biltmore downtown too. Loved it in the hotel and had the club floor privileges also. The downtown area was better than I remembered. If you'd rather have a beach ambiance, then stay in Santa Monica.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:44 PM

we enjoy santa monica, but try this link:
www.seemyla.com
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

We'd only be downtown for two nights at the end of June. Then we'll be with a friend for three and she has a car.

I keep hearing about the Staples Center. Is it like Disneyworld where you see a game or whatever and can only exit through a huge office supply store? At any rate, I'm relieved to know that the corporation did something nice for LA even while they take over the world.

You guys are great and your posts are funny too.

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Of course, LA is widespread and consists of very different communities, but don't undervalue Downtown!

The recent projects (opera, cathedral)as well as the BIDs (Business Improvement Districts) have achieved amazing success in revitalizing Downtown LA. There is indeed enough to see and to do for two days.

If I had just two days and didn't want to drive I would certainly choose Downtown. BTW, do you like world-class cuisine? You have the choice between Patina and Water Grill, both in easy walking distance from every Downtown hotel.

Santo Monica is nice if you want to enjoy beach life, but it is nothing special. If you know Cape Cod, it will be certainly disappointing.

If there is one neighborhood run-down then it is Hollywood. Nothing but tourists, many bars, but the movie business has moved away long ago.

Beverly Hills is a high-end shopping district.

I personally love Westwood, which has university atmosphere.

There some top attractions in LA which are, however, apart from everything else. My favorite is the Getty Center, not only because of the art exhibitions (which are somewhat mediocre, compared to international standards) but mainly
because of the location and the architecture. There is a bus connection from Downtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -