Search

Los Angeles Hotel Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles Hotel Recommendation

Hi-
Can anyone please recommend a hotel for my upcoming trip to LA? We want to know the best location for access to popular tourist attractions. We are a family of 4 and will be in LA for 3 nights. We already have tickets to Warner Brothers Studios and would like to see some other sites in LA, any suggestions are welcomed!!
I currently have room reservations at the Beverly Hilton. Is this a good stay option? I was told that this hotel is far removed from attractions?

Thank you all in advance!
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I was told that this hotel is far removed from attractions?
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 08:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The BH Hilton would be a fairly good choice for The Getty Center, LACMA, La Brea Tar Pits, The Grove, the Farmers Market and obviously Beverly Hills. It's less convenient for any of the beach towns, the Getty Villa, Hollywood, Griffith Observatory, downtown LA and the museums in Exposition Park. Getting to Warner Brothers Studios wouldn't be too bad as you'd be (mostly) driving against the traffic, especially if you took Beverly Glen Blvd. to the San Fernando Valley and then the freeway east to WB.

So, yes, it does matter what you plan to do/see.

Just FYI, if you're coming in the summer, trying to go to the beach in Santa Monica might trigger mental illness. Traffic around the beach parking lots is insane, especially on weekends. If you want a day on the sand, I suggest Manhattan Beach.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 09:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Beverly Hilton is not a bad choice at all. It's at the Westerly most part of Beverly Hills, close to Century City and Westwood, other than Beverly Hills shopping and dining district. BUT, you really need to have a car if you're going to stay there, as public transportation is limited. Also it is next door to some very major construction project. I do have fond memories of this property as my grandparents used to stay there in the 50's and 60's when they were visiting from DC. And I've been to quite a number of events there . . . quite a beautiful ballroom. Decent pool too, although it gets too much shade IMO.

As the other posters have stated, it's location for your needs really depends on how you plan to spend your time.

If, for example, do you want to spend time visiting downtown LA -- Olvera Street, Pershing Square for a free Sat. Night concert (Bangles and Psychedelic Furs playing successive weekends this July), Staples Center, Microsoft Theatre (80's Night coming at end of July), the Grammy Museum, the Broad art museum, Disney Hall, or other theatre or restored concert venues, I'd stay downtown. Which would also give you access by Subway and Light Rail to most other areas of the City, including the Expo Line that will take you all the way to the Santa Monica Pier for a day at the beach.

If that sounds good, I'd stay at the newly renovated Hotel Figueroa. We happened on Hotel Fig about a week ago after going to the Grammy Museum for an evening event, and we raved about it. Beautifully restored, gorgeous pool with several bars and restaurants around the property . . . people are already discovering this place, so while the prices are still low (comparatively speaking), it would be a great place to visit before the prices get hiked up. We had a very good after event meal there.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Walk of Fame,Griffith Park, Venice Beach...
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information! We would like to see Walk of Fame, and possible Venice Beach? Also would would be able to recommend how to visit Newport and Laguna beach from Disneyland? We will be starting our trip in Disneyland on Monday the 16th and plan to depart for on BH on Wednesday. Before taking a Lyft to BH we thought we would rent a car and spend 3-4 hours driving through the 2 beach towns. Too long of a day? Reasonable? Thank you!
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

YIKES!!! thank you for the Santa Monica warning.. We will not have a car. We planned on taking Lyft there from Beverly Hills? Bad idea?
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 12:42 PM

Now I'm a bit confused about your plans... You won't have a car for any of your time here?? How are you getting to Disneyland?

You could rent a car at/near Disneyland to explore Laguna Beach and Newport Beach, but then you might as well keep the car and drive yourselves to Beverly Hills. I don't know what the Lyft fare would be from Anaheim to BH, but you would have already paid for the car rental for the day so you might as well get your money's worth.

Whether you keep the car is up to you, but getting around using only Lyft puts a different spin on your hotel choice. The only sightseeing you've mentioned is Warner Bros., Hollywood Walk of Fame, Griffith Observatory, Santa Monica and Venice Beach. For the first three, you'd be better off staying in West Hollywood or Hollywood. Beverly Hills would still not be a "bad" choice, but staying there would add between 10 and 20+ minutes each direction (and unknown Lyft cost) to reach the first three things on your list.

If you decide to keep the car in L.A., be sure to find out the overnight parking charges at any hotel you're considering.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 01:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you just 'prefer' to not rent a car . . . or do you not drive at all?

Because the general LA area is absolutely huge - for instance from Anaheim to that hotel is about 45 miles and would take about 2 hours on a weekday afternoon.

The Hollywood Walk of Fame and say Venice Beach are about an hour or 90 minutes apart. Using Lyft to get around is certainly an option but would be really expensive to uses it for all your transport. I assume you are taking some sort of Disney Shuttle from one of the airports to Anaheim - right? From LAX, that alone would cost nearly $100 for the four of you. Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are 30-60 minutes from Disneyland.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We are taking the Disney bus from LAX on Monday. We were trying to avoid renting a car to drive in an around LA because we were told it was very difficult for tourists to navigate?
We now may keep the car and drive to BH from Disney. Thank you!!
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

We were told navigating LA traffic and highways were not easy so we were trying to avoid driving. I realize now we must have a car to explore the area. Thank you for the information.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't usually like to rent cars on vacation but we did when we visited LA. I can't imagine not renting a car there - it's almost a necessity.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Navigating LA traffic and highways is not that difficult, especially if you have a Sat. Nav in the car or google maps on your mobile phone. Going from Disneyland to the Beverly Hilton I would NOT use waze because it will direct you all over the place to avoid 5 minutes in traffic. From Disneyland to WLA there are 2 routes that will show up , , , one that goes north on the 5 to the 10 west, and the second that goes from the 5 to the 91 to the 405. Excuse my So. Cal. freeway speak! I generally just go the 10/5 route, even though it can get backed up. If it does, you can bypass the 5 traffic but moving over to the 91, then north on the 605 to the 105 west to the 405.

I've found that traffic all over has become quite similar to LA traffic, from the South of France to England. You just need to take your time and not speed along without watching the road because you can go around a curve in the road or over a hill and find traffic is at a complete halt.

Once in LA, you can ease up on the driving, since our public transportation has become pretty good. That said, with 4 people all going to the same place, it may be less expensive to just use the car, even paying for parking.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 07:29 AM

"Navigating LA traffic and highways is not that difficult, especially if you have a Sat. Nav in the car or google maps on your mobile phone."

I think technology has made an enormous difference in the ability to drive around unfamiliar cities. And I agree with Surfergirl about not using the Waze app.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 08:26 AM

I'm bookmarking - thanks.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Just rented a car...Thank you!
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your information! All noted!
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 05:33 PM

You don’t need to rent a car in LA if you stay near public transportation, plan well, and are patient. I didn’t do so for my two week trip there. Staying in Downtown, Hollywood, Chinatown, or parts of Pasadena will work. A car is probably helpful, but not in my experience essential.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 05:28 AM

Sorry I didn't chime in before you did the car rental. There is a MetroLink Train from Anaheim to Union Station, from there you could have done taxi/Lyft etc. And what month are you coming? That might make a difference in where I'd recommend.

It certainly IS possible to get around without renting a car although a family of 4 with a lot of luggage, more difficult. But you could transfer via train to Union Station (and then taxi to your hotel in LA, hopefully near some places where you can Lyft or use public transit) and then rent a car for just a few days and not the entire time. You do NOT need a car when at Disneyland!

Bear in mind that having a car means you get to join in the great parking spot hunt and also deal with one way streets and freeway ramps.

Just use Google Maps, not WAZE. GM has transit, auto, and pedestrian directions (symbols)

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 16th, 2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 08:05 AM

I think it has been forgotten that the OP would like to see Laguna and/or Newport on the way from Disneyland to L.A. Also, they only have two full days (three nights) in L.A., so they don't have time to wait patiently for buses and trains.

As for the parking hunt, WB Studios has their own parking lot. Venice and the Observatory are the only things on their list where parking can be a challenge. I suggest taking Lyft to the Observatory, and it would be easy to take the bus to Santa Monica. Both Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus and the L.A. Metro have direct service between the Beverly Hilton intersection and the SM Pier. (My preference would be the Big Blue Bus.)

https://www.bigbluebus.com/

https://www.metro.net/riding/trip-planner/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -