Search

Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 1999, 08:47 AM
Julie

Los Angeles

My parents (ages 59)are going to be in LA for several days in August --from NC. They want to see as much as possible, besides the Dodgers games -- any suggestions. Both can travel and get around pretty easily. If they only have about 3-4 days in LA, what should they do? Also, suggestions on how?
Restaurants, special attractions, tours, etc.

Old May 15th, 1999, 10:29 AM
Serious fodorite

They should try to locate themselves someplace fun -- like Santa Monica or Westwood. Maybe get them tickets to see Jeopardy? Go to dinner at someplace slick -- do a search here there was a string not long ago

Old May 15th, 1999, 12:23 PM
bruno (french)

Try the south coast of LA (Newport Beach, long Beach, ect..). We went to LA few weeks ago and we like better the south that the north with malibu.
Have a look at our photo album of LA at : www.pimico.fr/ab and click on March trip. Enjoy.

Old May 17th, 1999, 05:47 AM
kristi

They might enjoy a boat trip out to Catalina Island-I believe you pick up the ferry near Long Beach to get out there-reminded me a bit of going out to Cape Cod. They might enjoy seeing the Tonight Show taped-we stood in line and got tickets for that days' show but there might be some way to reserve in advance. My family really enjoyed a restaurant in Ojai called the Ranch House. It's a bit of a drive from LA but its a scenic drive and the restaurant is in a beautiful setting.

Old May 17th, 1999, 10:49 AM
michele

If they want to see Los Angeles then start with Olvera Street (the original
birthplace of the city..it's downtown.)
Union Station,nearby, is a beautiful art deco building and it's where the stars used to depart and arrive from. Away from downtown, go to the Chinese theatre to see the footprints. Hollywood isn't very
glamourous, but the theatre and the stars on the sidewalk are a thrill for movie lovers. (There are tours, too).

Try the FARMERS' MARKET on Third and Fairfax for some produce browsing and lots of different lunch spots.

Museums: LACMA, the Getty (call in advance), the Peterson Automotive ( great clasic cars, and MOCA are just a few.

August can be very hot...try cooling down at Venice Beach during the day.

All in all, there's a lot to do right in the city proper. I've just scratched the surface.

Old May 17th, 1999, 12:03 PM
John

First, if you are in LA you need to rent a car. There is really no other way to get around unless you want to use the bus system, which is extensive, but slow.
Check out the Getty Center. Make reservations for a weekday morning or a late afternoon so you can have dinner up there at sunset.
If they are here on a weekend, go to Venice Beach. All the freaks show up and it is quite amusing.
Avoid a day game at Dodger Stadium in August. The heat is brutal with very little breeze.
Universal Studios Tour is great if you like that sort of thing.

Old May 17th, 1999, 12:33 PM
michele

Forgot this one: get tickets to the Hollywood Bowl...a concert under the stars on a warm August night...lovely.
You can bring a picnic and there are
shuttles to the Bowl from various locations.

Feel free to email me at home as my husband is a native and loves to assist visitors to La. It is a big sprawling city and unlike other cities it does not reveal itself to you. You have to find it, but it is worth it.

Old May 20th, 1999, 04:45 PM
Richard

see a movie at the chinese theater

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 09:40 AM
cherie

From 4th Generation LA Native:
Divide up the town into Districts like you would Paris. Beachanta Monica to Malibu, 3rd St Shopping Area, Venice Beach & Restaurants. La Cienega/Melrose Blvd/Beverly Hills Day: Shopping in BH, Museums (LACMA,Petersen Automotive, Tar Pits, ) Strolling Melrose Shops or Beverly Center. Downtown Day: Olvera St/Chinatown/You gotta go to Phillippes for beef dip/go see Union Station, etc. Getty Museum takes a day; could spend afternoon in "The Valley" or go to Universal the next day. Out deeper is the Gene Autrey Cowboy Museum, the Tower of Beauty (cosmetic heirs bought lots of cars, etc.) How 'bout taking in a show at the Mark Taper Forum....see what's doing at Hollywood Bowl.....Knotts Bery Farm.....Disneyland.....How 'bout a day down in Laguna Beach/Costa Mesa/South Coast Plaza.....I could go on & on!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 12:39 PM
cherie

Do they like art? They could go to the Huntington Museum (say hello to Pinkie & Blue Boy), and then to the Arboretum if the smog isn't bad. Traffic is usually easier to navigate if they go East when workers are going West, etc. Going to Pasadena from LA in am and vice-versa in pm. ought to work nicely. Good restaurants in Pasadena & San Marino. We used to like to walk around the area along California St. (above Huntington Dr) to look at the mansions. Its very quite on a Sat or Sun morning if they like to jog or stroll before breakfast.

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 08:56 PM
brenda aytch

author; brenda been to LA for the past
3 yrs. in a row drove out all 3 times
La is absolutely beautiful.I am 46 took my 13 yr. old daughter so I mostly did
the amusement park thing. try to see knott's berry farm and disneyland, Venice beach,& redondo beach.you honestly need a car though we also went to the museum of history,the museum of tolerence ,the La brea tar pits ,little tokoyo near olevera st downtown La.Mann's CHINESE THEATRE IS A MUST
so is Hollywood & vine . if you get to universal studios there is a tribute to Lucille Ball i'm sure you will enjoy.
send for a visitor's guide.I think the #
is 1-800 go- calif also make a point to drive down rodeo drive(really expensive shops)I think I saw George Clooney enjoy did i mention I am from Kinston N.C

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 08:56 PM
brenda aytch

author; brenda been to LA for the past
3 yrs. in a row drove out all 3 times
La is absolutely beautiful.I am 46 took my 13 yr. old daughter so I mostly did
the amusement park thing. try to see knott's berry farm and disneyland, Venice beach,& redondo beach.you honestly need a car though we also went to the museum of history,the museum of tolerence ,the La brea tar pits ,little tokoyo near olevera st downtown La.Mann's CHINESE THEATRE IS A MUST
so is Hollywood & vine . if you get to universal studios there is a tribute to Lucille Ball i'm sure you will enjoy.
send for a visitor's guide.I think the #
is 1-800 go- calif also make a point to drive down rodeo drive(really expensive shops)I think I saw George Clooney enjoy did i mention I am from Kinston N.C