COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

looking like a dork in NY?

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 11:25 PM
judy

looking like a dork in NY?

Hello. My last question about my NY trip is whether or not I will look like a tourist if I wear my ski jacket? I'll be in Manhattan in mid-December and I know it will be cold, even snowy maybe. I'm from the Pacific Northwest and used to rainy, cold weather and I have a north face gortex jacket I could wear. Just don't want to put a neon sign around my neck that says "big dumb tourist." What do you think?

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 04:07 AM
howard

From a male perspective...absolutely not!

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 04:08 AM
John

Hey Judy:

Ski jacket is fine! We all have them here...Just dont wear a NY Yankee hat with it....then we will know your a dork! (just kidding!)
JOHN

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 05:09 AM
susan

One more in agreement with the other posters. Unless you're going to a black-tie dinner, your ski jacket will be fine. If it's really cold, plenty of New Yorkers will be in ski jackets, too.

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Marlena

I agree with the others here, you will be fine in your ski jacket for most situations..however if you want to go clubbing or eat at a trendy downtown restaurant, you will probably not feel comfortable in it in those situations. I can imagine it's no different in most other big cities.