Reload this Page >

Looking for U.S./Canada Honeymoon Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 1997, 10:14 AM
Allen

I am looking for some ideas for my upcoming honeymoon in July, 1998. I don't want to go to one of these over-priced "Sandal's" type honeymoon traps. I want to take my future wife somewhere where we can see lots of sights and spend some romantic time too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I live in Orlando, Florida so don't say "Why don't you go to Disney World?" Thanks America!

Old Nov 11th, 1997, 07:53 AM
Gabriele

I highly recommend the San Francisco Bay Area in July. The temps are between 75 and 85 and it is beautiful. I have lived here all my life and I'll never move away. The best place to stay that is centrally located is Berkeley, accessible by SF and Oakland Airports. Rent a car for a week (about $200) and stay at the Berkeley Marina Marriott (about $100/night). Its on the water and very romantic. From Berkeley, you can visit SF (10 miles away); Mt. Tamalpias, beautiful beaches, and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (45 miles away); Napa and Sonoma Valleys (60 miles away). There is so much to do in the Bay Area that you can either make it romantic or recreational or whatever kind of trip you want. For more info, Fodors sells a travel book on San Francisco and surrounding areas. I've always found Fodors travel books to be most helpful. You can get them at any bookstore, they've got a gold colored cover. Have Fun.

Old Nov 11th, 1997, 01:31 PM
James

If you are interested in Canada, the best place to go would be Banff/Jasper area. Fly into Calgary and drive an hour out to the mountains. People come from all around the world to visit these areas all year long (very popular). I believe Brewster's travels or something offers great touring packages, and don't worry about it being cold, it is usually between 70 and 80 degrees F. If I didn't live in this area I would probably choose it for a honeymoon, it would be perfect. Look into it, the 'net probably has a lot of info on Banff or Jasper. Good luck and have fun!

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 07:35 PM
Sandy

Allen....re: your honeymoon summer '98. You gotta come to the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada! To begin with if you're coming from the USA every 3rd day for you is FREE (considering your money is worth more than 1/3 of ours!).What better value! I live near Kelowna which is in the heart of the Okanagan Valley (I'm not originally from here so I can't be accused of being REALLY biased!). There's lots of things to do here...if you like flyfishing this is FISH HEAVEN...loads of little dinky mountain lakes. Lots of hiking trails, great restaurants and MEGA scenery (we're in the heart of wine country too so there's many vineyards and orchards to see). It's semi-desert here so even if it's around 100 degrees (which is quite normal for July/August) it's quite comfortable. And tons of beautiful, clean beaches all along Okanagan Lake. I recommend driving either north or south of Kelowna and finding your own little patch of paradise. Try to get out on Lake Okanagan to truly appreciate the beauty (lots of boat and houseboat rentals available). Anyway.... this is a place to consider if you REALLY want a memorable vacation (in my line of work I meet people literally from all over the globe and it never ceases to amaze me how in awe of this place everybody is!). Anyway.....have a wonderful honeymoon wherever you go!

.....Sandy

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 09:03 PM
Kris

Hi! I'd have to agree with a Canadian Honeymoon..I too am from the west, close to Banff in Alberta which is about 8 hours from the Okanagan. Beautiful there especially in July...lots of hiking, biking, hot mineral springs, wildlife and scenery that compares to none... the shopping will be fabulous for your bride to be considering the exchange. You could rent a car and do both...Banff and the Okanagan...what a honeymoon...congratulations and have fun!

Old Nov 15th, 1997, 11:40 PM
Donna

The Laurentians, 35 miles north of Montreal, is a very romantic place to visit. Day trips to Montreal, Quebec, and other towns in the vicinity would be quite appealing. You may also wish to consider Nantucket, MA, a lovely tiny island (and truly a step back in time) off the coast of Cape Cod. This is a charming and romantic place to visit - secluded beaches and dunes, but also wonderful B&B's and Country Inns and fabulous dining. Another terrific place for a honeymoon in New England is Stowe (nestled in the Green Mountains), Vermont. Or, Jackson, NH (in the White Mountains). Or, you could tour the incredibly beautiful coast of Maine (Acadia National Park, Camden, Boothbay Harbor, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit). All are wonderfully romantic. Again, many fabulous B&B's and country inns. Rockport, MA, a gorgeous seaside village, is also scenic and romantic (and for some reason, a very economical place to stay). In western MA, there's Lenox (with Tanglewood, summer home of the Boston Pops and lots of dance and theatre) and Stockbridge, surrounded by the Berkshire Mountains. Cape May, NJ is also a terrific place for a romantic honeymoon with lots to see and do in the area.

Old Nov 16th, 1997, 01:36 PM
Tricia

Allen, have to agree with the above postings. Two of the most beautiful spots in the world are Banff, Canada, another is (I need help Canadians)an island,Victoria?, off the coast with the gardens that you walk through. In California, if you go to San Francisco, also take a drive on Highway 1 and be sure to see Carmel, the 17 miles drive. There is another town my husband and I honeymooned in, Pacific Grove. We went in Nov and the butterflies cover the trees. Very nice. We also stayed at and were married in the Highland Inn, in Carmel. It overlooks the Pacific ocean and is beautiful. They have a tiny chapel with a wishing well out front. After our little ceremony we dined in their wonderful restaurant and watched the sun set. Whatever you choose, you won't go wrong. Pick one and have an anniversary in the other. One last thought. Mt. Rainier in Washington is exquisite. Rivals Switzerland! Have fun!

Old Nov 16th, 1997, 05:23 PM
Elspeth

Why not try coming to Nova Scotia, Canada? We are a beautiful province on the east cost of the continent. The weather is great in the summer. You are never more than a half hour drive from excellent beaches. The pace of life is wonderful and your money will go a long way. I live on the southwest coast of the province near Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. These are exquisite little towns with unique architecture, excellent bed and breakfasts spots, superb restaurants and breath taking natural beauty.
I can provide more details

Old Nov 16th, 1997, 10:03 PM
Bruce

Re: Tricia's message....the island is Vancouver Island and Victoria is the city at the southern tip. I will assume that the gardens she is referring to is Butchart Gardens; truly lovely gardens.

The Banff/Jasper area is absoultely beautiful too, and the Okanagan idea is superb. If you venture to the west coast of British Columbia, look into Whistler, the fantastic ski resort with activities all year round. The drive there from Vancouver is fabulous (you can see portions of this drive on many car commercials).

Have a great honeymoon wherever you go.

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 06:13 PM
JJ

Allen: Two years ago, I visited Stehekin, Wash., a city so remote, the only ways you can get to it are by air or by boat. It's at the edge of North Cascades National Park, and the scenery is incredible. Places to stay are nice, although eating establishments are hard to find. Plenty of places to hike and be alone.

Old Nov 21st, 1997, 10:47 PM
Scott

Let's face facts: The best place to spend any time at all is California. We have it all: beaches, desert, mountains, valleys, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, and the original Disneyland. My choice? San Francisco or environs. If you like action, stay in San Francisco. With apologies to one of the above posts, forget Berkeley. It's too far from the action. San Francisco has Chinatown, Coit tower, the Presidio, Golden Gate Park, the Opera house, museums and galleries too numerous to count, and the best restaurants in the country. Like the mountains? Rent a cabin at North Shore Lake Tahoe. Or try Donner Lake; it's less crowded but beautiful just the same. Or Yosemite-it's more beautiful than advertised. Obvious-your choice is California.

Old Nov 23rd, 1997, 02:43 PM
Trey Olson

VERMONT! I live in Ontario but my heart is in Vermont. The Green Mountains are some of the lushest most beautiful mountains I have ever seen and as far as the quaint factor no place that I know of in North America can beat Vermonts inexhaustable amount of cute small towns! I would suggest Rutland, Woodbury, Shelburne, Burlington and anywhere in the place known as the Northeast Kingdom! Neighbouring New Hamphire is also very beautiful and Maine's coast cant be beat. Happy Trails!