Looking for suggestions on Oregon/Washington itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am planning a 10-11 day trip to Oregon & Washington during the last 2 weeks of August. I have put together a preliminary itinerary, but am looking for suggestions to make sure I am doing this trip 'right' as there is a ton to see in the Pacific Northwest. Also, this itinerary has a lot of driving so if anyone thinks portions should be cut out and other places should be extended or added, please let me know.

Day activities ; stay overnight
17-Aug Fly to Portland ; stay in Portland (arrive at night)
18-Aug Explore Portland ; stay in Portland
19-Aug Drive to Crater Lake; explore Crater Lake ; stay in Crater Lake/Diamond Lake
20-Aug Crater Lake in AM; drive to Bend/Sisters ; stay in Bend/Sisters (TBD)
21-Aug Bend/Sisters in am; drive to Cannon Beach; stay in Cannon Beach
22-Aug Cannon Beach in am, drive to Hoh Rain forest/Olympic Penninsula ; stay near Hoh Rain Forest or Forks
23-Aug Hoh Rain Forest in am, drive to Seattle ; stay in Seattle
24-Aug Explore Seattle ; stay in Seattle
25-Aug Go to San Juan Islands ; stay in San Juan Islands
26-Aug San Juans Islands ; stay in San Juan Islands
27-Aug Leave San Juan Islands, go to Mt. Rainer ; stay near Near Mt. Rainier
28-Aug Back to Portland, fly home

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM

I would pick just one or the other. There really is a lot to do at each place. We've been twice over the last 3 years and spent about 12 days in each state. You don't mention Mount Hood, Mount Rainier, or Mount St. Helens. It really takes 2 or 3 days to explore most of Olympic National Park. Sol Duc Falls, Hurricane Ridge are very nice. Several really good beaches at Olympic too. It would be a shame to Miss Columbia River Gorge.

We really ejoyed both places. Can't say we liked one more than the other. There is a lot of diversity in both places. I'd just stick with Portland/Oregon or Seattle/Washington
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Mount Rainier wildflowers are normally spectacular for the period you mention. I have never seen any prettier.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM

The drive from Portland to Crater Lake is long and not very interesting.

I would include the Columbia River Gorge and more of the Oregon Coast in this itinerary.

On the Olympic Peninsula it is worth the effort to stay at Lake Quinault Lodge or Crescent Lake Lodge.

At Crescent Lake one passes through a rain forrest when taking the short hike from the lodge to Marymere Falls.

Travel by ferry during the height of the tourist season often involves long waits and other annoyances. For that reason, we park our car on the mainland and walk on the ferry to San Juan Island at Anacortes.

If you are committed to the itinerary you outline, a better routing might be Portland, Columbia River Gorge (Hood River), Bend, Crater Lake, Florence, Cannon Beach, Olympic Peninsula, Anacortes via ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville (make a reservation on the ferry), San Juan Island, Seattle, Mt. Rainier, Portland.

HTTY
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Driving to Crater and exploring it in a 24 hour period then driving to Bend is a LOT of driving for a matter of hours. Then turning back the opposite direction to Cannon Beach and then Hoh...well, it's so ambitious. You'll spend so much time on the road, you'll not be able to really "see" the stops you're making apart from the hotel you sleep in. It can be done but I caution you as I hope you're not disappointed. Your San Juan idea is okay cause you give yourself 2 nights. But getting to the San Juans in peak season can take hours waiting for the ferry so chose which island and plan to wait. When people have little time, I suggest Whidbey or Port Townsend as it's closer. I totally get your wanting to race through as it's the way I travel too, especially in Europe. Problem here is all the darn driving. Anyway, good luck and have fun!
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses, very helpful! While both places sound beautiful, my wife and I have decided that we are going to visit Washington for this trip, and save Oregon for another time. Below is the revised itinerary.

I would really appreciate a bit more help, in addition I am really unsure where to stay in Olympic National Park (Port Angeles/Port Townsend/Forks/Lake Quinault?) as well as near Mt. St Helens/Rainier. In addition, the itinerary now has a day open, are there any suggestions of another place I should be visiting, or should I extend a day at one of these places? Thanks again!

17-Aug Fly to Seattle ; stay in Seattle

18-Aug Explore Seattle ; stay in Seattle

19-Aug Go to San Juans Islands ; stay in San Juans Islands

20-Aug San Juans Islands ; stay in San Juans Islands

21-Aug San Juans Islands ; stay in San Juans Islands

22-Aug Leave San Juans Islands ; go to Olympic National Park ; stay in Olympic National Park

23-Aug Olympic National Park (North) ; stay in Port Angeles/Port Townsend/Forks/Lake Quinault?

24-Aug Olympic National Park (West); stay in Port Angeles/Port Townsend/Forks/Lake Quinault?

25-Aug Empty day, any suggestions??

26-Aug Mt. Rainier ; where to stay?

27-Aug Mt. St Helens, drive back to Seattle; stay in Seattle

28-Aug Morning in Seattle, leave for home
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
August 25 head for Packwood Washington on US 12.http://www.destinationpackwood.com/
The last morning I was in Packwood, I saw elk wandering across the highway (downtown).
Head west from Packwood to Randle and turn south on FS 25 which takes you on the east side of Mt. St Helens. If you keep going south on the paved FS road, you will come out in Carson in the Columbia Gorge. Cross the "Bridge of the Gods" to get to I-84.
Take I-84 to see Multnomah Falls before heading back to Seattle.
There is a good parking area with walking access to Multnomah Falls in the median of I-84 (left exit).