Looking for relaxing getaway from Seattle around Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. My husband and I recently moved to Seattle, but we don't know too many of the outlying areas yet. We're looking for a little getaway that we can drive to during Christmas vacation and stay for 3-5 days. I'm pregnant and can't fly or do too much exercise right now...we just want somewhere pretty and cozy with at least decent food! We also want a tv in our room (I know some cozy places don't have, but we'll be happy to watch some movies and lie around in bed!)
We've been to Vancouver and Victoria, as well as to the Inn at Langley on Whidbey Island so we'd love to try somewhere new.
Any ideas on a good little getaway with pretty rooms would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and we don't want to spend a ridiculous amount (a friend recommended someplace east of here...forgot the name, but it was $350/night!) We'll spend up to $200 or so a night.
Thanks,
jacqui
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Fifth Avenue Suites, Portland. One of the nicest hotels in the PNW, and Portland offers tons of great restaurants, galleries, things to do. Or not.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Ha! as soon as I read your post, The 5th Ave Suites came to mind
Gardyloo, too, I guess ~
We were there at the end of September and cannot wait to return.
Spend the day at the museum, have drinks before the fire place in the lobby/living room, relax in your suite for a while before going down to dinner at the Red Star. A very nice way to spend a day or a few..email me if you would like a couple of photos of the interior of the hotel
COngratulations!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi all and thank for the responses so far. We actually stayed at the 5th Ave. Suites about 1 1/2 months ago, based on suggestions from this board! We liked it very much, but probably would like somewhere new...not in a city. We'd rather be somewhere a little quieter and more romantic...like Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie (but I think too much $$$). Any other ideas???
Thanks again,
jacqui
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:55 AM
jimjim

I like Portland and the 5th Avenue Suites, but if you're willing to drive a bit farther, I suggest Stephanie Inn at Cannon Beach. Check it out.

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Yes, I agree, quiet & romantic is nice. That's why we prefer the Riverplace Hotel along the waterfront area.

I'll be in Cannon Beach in a few days and can't wait to have dinner at the Stephanie Inn! We're also having meals at Hurley's & clarklewis in Portland before we hit Pioneer Place for some serious Christmas shopping!! We also hope to visit the Oregon Zoo and have lunch at the Bluehour before heading back home.

The Oregon Coast would be a very relaxing, romantic place for you. ***kim***
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Or Semiahmoo resort on Boundary Bay close to the Blaine border crossing - http://www.semiahmoo.com, or The Columbia Gorge Hotel, http://www.columbiagorgehotel.com.

The Oregon coast certainly has possibilities, but it's a fair schlep in mid-winter. Same goes for the Washington coast or the San Juans - some nice B&B-type places, but not a lot of diversity or depth on the restaurant front, plus if the weather is really foul that snuggle-up scenario can last for days on end. ? Or ?

Frankly, if it were us (and sometimes it is) I'd go back to Vancouver, stay in one of the great hotels that one can get cheaply on Priceline or just booking online (Sutton Place, et al) and spend your days exploring Chinatown, the Indian market on S. Main, Kerrisdale, etc., or (depending on weather and your winter driving talents) head up the gorgeous "Sea to Sky" highway towards Whistler. One great advantage Vancouver has, like Portland or Seattle, is immediate access to some spectacular countryside for days in the outback, but with easy return to the metropolis for great restaurants, creature comforts, all that.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM

If you like the mountains at all, head over towards Leavenworth/Lake Wenatchee. There are a ton of cozy/romantic places in the area. Some in town, but also many outside of town up in the hills. A great website that has links for most of the lodging is www.leavenworth.org. We moved away from the Seattle area earlier this year, but used that website many times and always found great places to stay. Not sure exactly where you are at...but we used to go from Everett and it is a straight shot on HWY 2 and is less than 2 hours, so a nice an easy trip. Take chains though...you may need them.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:15 PM

How about Sooke Harbour House outside Victoria. Lovely place with a famed dining room. We've enjoyed it every time we've gone.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:56 PM

I opened this thread to recommend Sooke Harbour House, and there was Rhardy's post! This inn is hands-down the nicest, most relaxing place we've ever stayed. Dinner was outstanding. Even though you've been to Victoria, consider returning, especially if relaxation is a priority. You can find the website by doing a Google search.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:57 PM

I opened this thread specifically to recommend Sooke Harbour House, and there was Rhardy's post! This inn is hands-down the nicest, most relaxing place we've ever stayed. Dinner was outstanding. Even though you've been to Victoria, consider returning, especially if relaxation is a priority. You can find the website by doing a Google search.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Hi Jacqui,

My husband and I are planning on the same sort of getaway. I asked my sister for her thoughts. She suggested the Inn at Langley, but we didn't want to spend that much money. We decided on Victoria before she spoke with a friend who lives on Whidbey Island, who made the recommendations below. I looked these up on the internet and they look lovely. (Hmm. Maybe we'll change our plans!)
First: restaurants: Langley, the Edgecliff; Freeland, the Beachfire Bar and Grill; Coupeville, the Oystercatcher (open Wed thru Sat - reservations required)
B&B recommendations: Best Willow by the Sea; Island Getaways; A Tuscan Lady; and Cliff House and Cottage.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you like it. Thanks.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Hi again!
I should have checked out the websites before writing. I've looked at them in detail now and some seem more suited for families or small groups (like a getaway for a group of friends). The two rooms at the Blue Willows by the Sea are for couples, as is the Islands Getaway Penthouse. The Cottage at the Cliff House also looks like it is designed for two. Otherwise, the places accomodate more people, though they would work for two, and none appear too expensive except the Cliff House itself. No price given for the Island Penthouse. I'll definitely keep the larger places in mind for a family vacation or friends' retreat!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:35 PM
jimjim

Stephanie Inn at Cannon Beach....because I don't want it to get lost.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:57 PM

jim ,have you dined there and is it worth the $42/pp? We have reservations for dinner there. ***kim***
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:00 AM
jimjim

Breakfast and dinner are both special treats. Enjoy and please report.

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone and thank you for all your ideas! We're definitely going to look into a couple of them. The only thing holding us back from B.C. is that I'm newly pregnant and may still have morning sickness, so boats are probably not the best idea for me right now. I think we'll be doing a lot of lounging around watching movies and reading...not what I'm usually looking for in a vacation, but definitely needed for this one!

Thanks again,
jacqui
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:18 PM

Hi. Its Dec 1st, so you've probably already made your travel arrangements, but I'll offer some advice anyway. If you're anything like my husband and me, you like the best of both worlds on a little getaway: nice, cozy accomodations, but not so far out in the boonies that there is no place to walk around outside your door, if you so choose. That's the reason we like Langley and also the reason we like LaConner. It doesn't have quite as much atmosphere as Langley (it's on a river/inlet rather than the sound) but it's still a cute, quaint little town with lots of little shops, galleries, etc. The Channel Lodge is under $200 a night, the only lodging on the water and all the rooms have gas fireplaces, jet jacuzzi tubs and balconies overlooking the river. Only 70 miles north of Seattle, it may be just what you're looking for. Of course, you probably already know that by now!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:50 AM

Salish Lodge is a good spot for you. Check their website for specials, they regularly have deals for $129 or $199 per night, even on weekends. It's a good place to relax and watch TV, especially since all rooms have a fireplace. The main restaurant is not worth the $$$, but the smaller (more casual) dining is good, as is the room service.

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
jimjim

After you've looked at the waterfall, what is there to do at Salish Lodge and vicinity? Go to the outlet center in North Bend I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -