Reload this Page >

Looking for NYC lean, safe hotel for weekend---$175.00 or less

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 1997, 07:32 AM
Malcolm

Looking for clean, safe hotel close to things to do (Near Midtown would be great) in NYC. I know it is hard to find, but looking for $175.00 or less. Will have female with me (European) so a safe area would be nice.
Also, I am not much on staying in chain hotel when there is something else, but does anyone have knowledge onth Holiday Inn by he World Trade Center.

Old Oct 10th, 1997, 09:03 AM
Christina

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I'm resending my
message because I forgot to put in my e-mail
address the first time & Fodors claims that you
must do this (don't know if that's true or not) for
them to accept it. Here's my message --

I've got a couple of recommendations, although I'm
sure a good guide book or Fodors here on line
could be helpful. First, the Edison Hotel in the
Times Square area is very reasonable, decent, and
of moderate cost. This would be a good location if
you want to go to the theater a lot, but otherwise
this area is somewhat seedy. Second, the Pickwick
Arms (I think around E 52nd St between Lexington
& 2nd ave) is in a very good midtown location, and
it is a very nice, safe neighborhood. It is a very
cheap and decent hotel, but it is NOT as luxurious
as many Americans are used to. Europeans stay
there a lot (so do I), and it is probably equivalent
to a 2-star (tourist class) European hotel, altho
you can perhaps request a better quality room (be
sure to specify private bath, also -- this may have
changed because I haven't been there in a few years,
but this hotel used to be one of the few in NYC
where you could rent a room w/o private bath to
save money as in many older, tourist-class
European hotels).Prices are the cheapest I've seen in any Manhattan
hotel of this quality in such a good neighborhood--
I was somewhat worried that it was a hotel for
prostitutes due to the low price when I first booked
there (extremely cheap hotels in NYC, esp in Times
Sq. are for prostitutes, so beware), but it is
completely decent and professional.

Old Oct 10th, 1997, 10:49 AM
barbara

We stayed at the Wellington Hotel at 55th and 8th last month for $145.00 a nite. It was not fancy, but clea--and the staff was very helpful and courteous. The location is between Times Square and Central Park, and was really convenient for us. We walked the neighborhood at all hours of the day and nite and never felt unsafe--the streets were loaded with people at all times. Many Europeans stayed there.

Old Oct 10th, 1997, 12:04 PM
Audrey

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Edison; as said above, it is not fancy, but it is clean and the staff is wonderful: friendly and helpful. It was $115/night. It was perfect for us because we had a full itinerary and just needed a place to fall into bed at night. For another, less frenetic kind of visit, we've stayed at the Beacon which has small suites; I think we paid $175. (A great restaurant is Sofia's at 79th and Madison--I think.)

Old Oct 10th, 1997, 12:29 PM
Ronald

If you'll spring for $195 try the Roosevelt - recently renovated and centrally located. You can get this rate by booking on their website. NY hotel tax is 13 1/4 pct.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 06:24 AM
steve

I have several recommendations that will probably fall into the higher end of your price range. The Roosevelt as previously posted is very nice and newly redone. The Helmsley Middletown has a good midtown location and pleasant rooms- there is no lobby to speak of and no restaurant, although they offer free coffee and rolls in the morning. The Roger Smith on Lexington may top your range but check to see- it's a small, charming hotel and rates include continental breakfast. If you're going on a weekend be sure and ask for a weekend rate- often 20-40 dollars less than weekday rates.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 02:10 PM
Donna

Second the recommendation for the Helmsley Middletown. Wonderful (and very safe) mid-town location. Excellent weekend rates. We were very pleased with the room, the hotel and the service.

Old Oct 14th, 1997, 07:29 PM
Belinda

Stayed at the Roosevelt in August and loved the location and the hotel. The lobby is simply beautiful and the rooms are very comfortable and tastefully done. Everything is so clean!! Staff was great, we will definitely stay there on our next visit!
Their website is www.theroosevelt.com

Old Oct 21st, 1997, 11:39 PM
Susana

It's not in midtown but the Marriott in the World Trade Center has weekend specials UNDER the $175 price range.
There's a subway stop under the hotel so it's very convenient and the staff are wonderful there.

Old Oct 25th, 1997, 12:12 PM
Janet

In August we stayed at the Salisbury Hotel on 57th Street, two streets south of Central Park. A long walk or short subway ride from the theaters, but close to Carnegie Hall, museums and the Park. Safe neighborhood, older building but clean and good service. Continental breakfast included in $135 rate. Even bottles of mineral water in the breakfast room to take along on your daily trek. Subway stop close for trips to Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Statue of Liberty, and other attractions in the south end of Manhattan. We walked from Times Square late at night after a play, and the streets were crowded with other people having fun. Taxis are cheap and ubiquitous if you choose not to walk.

Old Oct 25th, 1997, 02:56 PM
martha

I have never stayed at the Mayflower by Central park because it was booked when I went last month but it came recommended by a friend who lived in New York.
Instead I stayed in a hotel on 21st and Lexington (It was reasonable,clean and i felt safe to walk to all locations)
I cant remember the name of that one but try the Mayflower first anyway because it looked very nice. I made a special trip over there so I would know what it was
like if I ever made it back.

Old Oct 27th, 1997, 09:20 AM
stacy

The Malibu Hotel is a budget hotel that's ten minutes away from midtown by subway on the upper west side. The room's have all been recently redone and the rates are terrific: starting at $79/night including breakfast. All rooms have private bathrooms and have two beds so they can sleep up to four comfortably. The plus is that it's not in a super touristy area: it's in a residential neighborhood where real New Yorkers live and hang out. The tel is 212-222-2954 and the fax is 212-678-6842.