Looking for Moose

Apr 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Looking for Moose

I am vacationing to maine in early August and have already booked 5 nights in Bar Harbor. That leaves me with 3 nights left. I would like to go somewhere either in Maine or into New Hampshire, where I am very likely to see a moose. I would also like a place with a lot of hiking (good day-hikes, but not too long) and tall mountains and waterfalls and of course very scenic. When I mean not long hikes, I mean 6 miles RT or less. I am currently looking at Baxter State Park. I looked at New Hampshire's White Mountains, but it seems too crowded to see anything in the way of wildlife. The only problems with Baxter is 1 it is farther from Home and two the roads in the park are dirt. Where are the best chances to see moose in Maine or New Hampshire?
Thanks-
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Have seen moose in July in Bethel -- took a "moose safari" tour which had a nice drive and finally (about 2 hrs into it) one moose meandering across the road. I actually really like Bethel area in summer - good river kayaking, sleepy area, beautiful scenery...and not a whole lot else going on!
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Sorry...Bethel MAINE
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I am planning a trip to New Hampshire in July. The town of Gorham and Conway in the White Mountain area offer Moose Tours. Also many hiking trails in the area too.
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM

I've made an effort to see moose on all of my trips to north over the last 24 years. Unfortunately, moose are amongst nature's most reclusive and unpredictable animals; and seeing them is as much a matter of luck as good planning. You can go to the same place, same time of year, same time of day, same conditions -- one time, a dozen moose; next time, none. So don't feel "cheated" if you go someplace where people say there'll be moose, but you see none.

Also remember, moose WILL attack if they conclude you are a threat -- and THEY make that decision! As soon as you get ANY reaction from your approach to a moose, even if it's to walk away, then you've gotten too close.

The best time of day to see moose is at dusk or dawn. The best place is near swamps. Unfortunately, August is not a good time to see them, as they try to stay out of the "heat." But you could get lucky and see a dozen.

I can only report that, during a two week trip to New England over ten years ago, we saw six moose -- and five of them were near Moose Lake.
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Two years ago we stayed at a condo outside of Bethel in June. We saw one moose in The White Moutain National Forest. There were also many day hikes around Bethel.
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:03 PM

There are lots of websites for where to find moose and how to safely view them. But, we live in New Hampshire and know that going out looking for moose can be quite dangerous, especially in a vehicle, and nearly impossible on foot (they hide). Typically, they are best spotted during dusk and early evening, when you would not likely want to be hiking (they are nocturnal). And, one hopes not to (literally) run into one on/near a road (as they run toward your headlights rather than away).

We finally went on a "moose tour" out of Gorham, NH. It was magnificent! These people really know what they're doing. We saw moose wading in a lake, a male wooing a female (she rejected him), even a moose family! They brought, and knew now to use, spotlights for incredible photo ops.

In New England, the White Mountains are superb for mountains, waterfalls, and hikes.
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:20 AM
bm

Route 3 from Pittsburg NH to the border is known as "Moose Alley". You are pretty much guaranteed to see moose there, especially at dawn and dusk. We stayed at the Tall Timber Lodge on Back Lake when we visited and were very pleased.
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:47 AM

most successful moose siting in the east (tons of moose in yellowstone and alaska) was along route 2 towards Bethel Maine. roadside siting. I think this is very similar to route 3.

I stayed near franconia notch state park and did day excursions. town of Gorham may have some places to stay. i camped. the camp ground at the state park was excellent, NH has a pretty efficient state campsite reservation system.

You may also need to get a parking permit from the forest service to use their parking areas. this you get from any forest station. (or at least it used to be that way) good luck!
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Is the pittsburg area way far away from the white mountains like the mount washington/gorham area? Is there good hiking up there? Is there a lot hiking near Bethel,ME? It sounds like it is a ski resort. Is there anything to do there in the summer?
Thanks-
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
bm

Pittsburg is way north of Mt. Washington. If you look at map of NH, the part that sticks up north above the VT/Canada border is Pittsburg.
Apr 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM

I have seen moose in Baxter State park. I was there in early October, so I don't know if you would be any more likely to see them in August. My husband and I spent a day there(we drove up from Bar Harbor where we stay every year)hiking around Baxter looking for the elusive moose. At the end of the day we were giving up the moose hunt and heading out of the park -- when through the trees and across a lake I saw the shadowy figure of moose in the water. We stopped the car and got out to watch a moose and her calf wading in the lake. We were on the shore so we didn't disturb them. We took lots of photos to bring home and show everyone the moose we saw in Baxter. By the way, Baxter is quite a remote place. They ask for your address and phone at the entrance -- so if you don't come back out they can get in touch with your emergency contacts! They also had sign-in sheets at the start of the trails. All this made me a little nervous -- a lot of precautions -- made the place seem dangerous or something. We never saw anything more dangerous than a tilted old bridge over a stream. And the dirt roads are murderous to drive on. You have to drive VERY slowly! The scenery was awesome, though. Mt. Katahdin is beautiful -- the whole area is such a wilderness place. I am a city person -- so this was a real treat for me. In August you might need insect repellant -- I hear there a very large misquitoes in Maine during the warmer months.
Apr 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM

we went on one of many day hikes in Grafton Notch State Park north of Bethel. There's also hiking east of Bethel in the White Mountains National Forest. There's more around Bethel than just ski resorts. We loved all the rivers and lakes and small towns. It is a rather quiet area.
Apr 16th, 2007, 04:59 AM

We always stay at The Last Resort on Long Pond in Jackman Maine. No hunting allowed there so you are guaranteed to see many moose feeding on the pond every single morning and at dusk. Nice camps to rent or you can camp out in tents (you provide). www.lastresortmaine.com
Apr 20th, 2007, 09:14 AM
CJC

I concur with "bm" with regard to Pittsburg for moose sightings. There are also some really lovely hiking paths along the rivers in that area. Also, Tall Timber Lodge is a wonderful, rustic, up country place to stay especially if you fish. I had the best rack of lamb I've ever eaten at their restaurant!