Reload this Page >

Looking for information about Port Austin, Michigan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:26 AM
J Correa

My mom and a group of her friends are going to Port Austin, Michigan. They chose this place for their vacation because they have airline credits that are about to expire, none of the ladies has ever been to Michigan before, and someone they know has a cabin in Port Austin that they can use.

I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations about the area - things to do, places to see, places to eat, etc.

Thanks

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 11:11 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Randy

Where do they come into Michigan? None of the commercial airports is close to Port Austin. Port Austin is at the tip of the Thumb and is a long way from any airport. I lived in Michigan about 40 years and would tell you that it's hardly the destination choice for most travelers. I dare to say most people from Michigan have never been there. What time of the year are they going?? IF it's now, they'll really miss the best time of the year----June through August. Color on the trees may just be beginning to come along, but oddly this part of the state sees leaf color a bit later than most of the rest of the lower peninsula because of radiant heat from Lake Huron.

Your mom and friends will find antiques, some orchards but very little in the way of commerical activities. This is a fairly desolate part of the world this time of year. In the summer, it's a delightful place even if Lake Huron is always a bit cool for swimming. If they're looking to get away and just have time to smooze they have a good choice, just not one I'd use for soon-to-expire airmiles!

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 07:55 AM
J Correa

Thanks for the info Randy. It's about what I figured. I did a web search and couldn't find much at all for Port Austin. They have all been under a lot of stress at work, so a cabin in the middle of nowhere might be just what they need. They are flying into Detroit, renting a car, and driving up to Port Austin - looks like a heck of a drive to me. Maybe they'll see some nice fall colors since they are going next week.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 04:39 PM
carol

Oh my, I live 17 miles south of Pt. Austin and there is nothing there to see or do. As a matter of fact, 1 wk. before Labor Day this year 1/3 of the downtown area had a major fire. The colors won't be changing yet here until about the 3-4 wk. in Oct. Please, tell your Mom & friends to keep driving north to Traverse City. It is worth the drive or fly into MBS airport in mid-Michigan for that is closer to the Traverse City area. They will be bored stiff in Pt. Austin area. The best entertainment in area at this time of year is the Wal-Mart 17miles to the south.