Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for great accomodations in Key West.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 12:01 PM
Brian Staihr

Will be traveling to Key West between Christmas and New Years. Looking for a fantastic place to stay. Am willing to pay for a great experience. Would prefer something a little removed from the noisy (i.e. party) areas. All info is appreciated. Thanks.
Brian Staihr

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 12:17 PM
sandi

We really enjoyed "The Galleon" condo rental on Duval St.. Also had a few great summer visits to "The reach" hotel, which is now Marriot Reach, and is located further away from center of town (15-20 mins walk). The service was great, and the food, but the rooms are real small. But for general comfort and a nice place, well-maintained, and definitely not nutty, I recommend the Galleon.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 01:15 PM
JoAnn

The Galleon is very nice, but it is on the marina, near all the boats and close to all the "party" areas. The Marriott's Casa Marina on the other end of Duval (Atlantic side) would, in my opinion, be quieter, more elegant, altho older. Marriott, also has another hotel-The Reach, not too far from the Casa Marina (the original Flagler hotel). Also have heard that Little Palm Island (www.littlepalmisland.com) is VERY nice. There are many B & B's, and guest houses that might be what you want. The Marquesa (featured on "Great Inns of America) looks excellent and is not too far from the down town area. We have been going to Key West since our daughter went down there in '77. Rent a bike or moped and "tour" the city.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 01:17 PM
Jo Ann

P.S. Key West has websites too, that might answer some more questions, or email me

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 05:41 PM
Lisa S.

Just was in Key West in May for the first time. We stayed at the Hyatt Vacation Club Sunset Harbor condos adjacent to the Truman Annex. My husband and I wanted to be within walking distance of the main shopping/eating/drinking area (Duval St. and vicinity) but also wanted to be in a quiet place for sleeping and relaxing. The Hyatt Sunset was just the place. Although it is a timeshare, they rent by the day or week. It's pricey (we paid $275 a night for a one bedroom) but hotels in Key West are comparable for only a single room. Also included was full use of the Hyatt Hotel facilities a few blocks away (including pool, restaurants, workout room, etc.) The pool at the Hyatt Vacation Club was even nicer than the hotel--bigger, less crowded and quiet. All in all a great place!

The other hotels mentioned above are nice but too far from Old Town to comfortably walk on a regular basis, and parking is a nightmare. With the Hyatt Condos we got a parking spot ($7 a day) in an adjacent garage which was convenient. We took the car out one day just to drive to the other parts of K.W. It is bigger than you might think after looking at it only on a map.

(P.S. If you want to try a great snorkeling trip, call the Hyatt Hotel and book the Floridays which was a 3-4 hour trip on a beautiful sailing vessel with great guides and amazing snorkeling in warm, clear waters. Can you tell we had a fabulous time or what?!?)

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 12:46 PM
Terry

I also think the Gallleon is the best choice in the Key West area. It is within walking distance to the
"main drag" but at the end of Duval so it is quiet. They are condos...very spacious and comfortable. We have been there twice, once for our honeymoon and once with our children.....5 years later....both vacations were GREAT! Call 800 directory...they are listed.

Have fun!

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 01:28 PM
Chad

If money is not an option...then you can't go wrong with the Marriott's Casa Marina. It's expensive but it is a grand hotel with the best beach(one of the only beaches) in Key West, it is two block's southwest of Duval so it is not noisey, the pool area is incredible, and the guy that sings there on the weekends is good. Marriotts reach resort is also nice...a little smaller and more cramped. Must do...see the sunset and watch the street performers at Mallory Square....rent mopeds...eat downstrairs at A&B Lobster house. Expect to spend $$$ its expensive....but worth the trip.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 04:30 AM
nancy

I have been to Key West several times and stayed at the Pier House and Hyatt. We are going in October and have reservations at the Hilton on Sunset Key. Apparently this is an island which is a ten minute ferry ride from the Hilton dock - there are private cottages 1, 2, and 3 bedroom - the island has a pool, restaurants, store. The development is a year old and the brochure looks beautiful. We hope we like it and we're not too inconvenienced getting into town - but the ferry runs every half hour twenty-four hours a day. And the sunsets should be great. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has stayed here. Thanks.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 09:19 AM
Kat

My preference would be The Gardens Hotel, situated in an actual walled botanical garden in Key West. Lush, private, delightfully exquisite. Check out their web site:
HTTP://www.gardenshotel.com/

They also are a member of the Small Luxury Hotels federation. Check this web site:
http://www.slh.com/pages/e/ensusaa.html

Here's the description from the SLH home page:

The Gardens Hotel is located in the heart of the historic district of Key West. Formerly the largest
private estate in Old Town, the property underwent a complete renovation in 1993. The result is a 17 room hotel set within the walls of the island’s best known tropical botanical garden, providing a serene and romantic oasis from the restaurants, night life and shopping just a block or two away. The buildings are typical of the 19th century architectural style for which Old Town is renowned, with wide ceiling-fanned porches opening onto brickwork garden paths. The rooms are decorated in traditional European style with floral chintzes and hardwood floors,while providing such modern amenities as marble bathrooms with jacuzzi bathtubs, minibars, telephones, bathrobes and Nina Ricci toiletries.
Located in the centre of the Old Town at the corner of Simonton and Angela Streets, four miles from Key West International Airport.

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 04:49 PM
Susan

My husband and I stayed at Cayo Hueso Resort for five days last December. It is a small, self-contained resort containing (I think) six private cottages ranging from one-bedroom to a full house. We stayed in a quaint one bedroom right next to a small pool and had a wonderful time. The cottage was immaculate, with all the conveniences of home and the area was very private. It is located just off Duval Street near the Southernmost point, so close enough to the fun stuff that you can walk, but far enough away so that your evenings are quiet. The cottages are fenced off from the street and very private. We absolutely loved it. I think the rates for that time of year were approx. $150/night, but I told the woman I was hoping to pay less and she dropped the price to $120/night for us! Well worth the money and we would certainly make a repeat visit.

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 05:29 PM
Melody

Try the Curry Mansion Inn. 1-800-253-3466. We got married their this past May and it was fabulous. You are just a block off Duval Street, but you're separated from the chaos, yet you can walk anywhere. You will have priviledges to use both Flagler's Casa Marina Resort pool and beach and the Pier House pool, beach and facilities. The Mansion has a beautiful courtyard, pool area where a WONDERFUL breakfast is served each morning and a complementary happy hour each night with an open bar and piano player/singer for you to unwind with and enjoy each night. We've been to Key West 4 times and have stayed different places. This was the best all around and we will go back. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. The Curry Mansion is on the internet for you to explore. Melody

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 12:10 PM
debbi

Call the Paradise Inn and have them send you a brochure. We LOVED it.