Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

looking for good restaurant in little Havana, in Miami, Florida

Old Mar 9th, 1997, 07:13 PM
Jane S.

My husband and I will be flying into Miami, we will be there for one night on our way down the keys, anyone know of a great eating spot for dinner in Little Havana? Also need to spend the night there to make a fresh start in the a.m., anyone know of a nice little inexpensive place to stay somewhere near the airport to relax after a long plane trip? Thanks!!

Old Mar 10th, 1997, 11:53 AM
maria

For a great Spanish restaurant in Little Havana, try Casa Juancho. It's a meeting place for the movers and shakers of Miami's Cuban community and a haven for lovers of fine Spanish food. Casa Juancho serves a cross section of Spanish regional cuisines. Strolling balladeers will serenade you among brown brick, rough-hewn dark timbers, walls hung with hooks of smoked meats and adorned with colorful Talavera platters. Ask about the hake prepared in a fish stock with garlic, onions, and white wine that's flown in from Spain or the carabineros a la plancha (jumbo red shrimp with head and shell on, split and grilled). Other specialties include roast suckling pig and parrillada de mariscos (fish, shrimps, squid, and scallops grilled in a light garlic sauce) form the Ponteverdra region in northwest Spain. For dessert, the crema Catalana has a delectable crust of burnt caramel atop a rich pastry custard. The house features the largest list of reserved Spanish wines in the US.

Old Mar 15th, 1997, 07:15 PM
Les

Try Versailles on SW 8th Street. It's open 24 hours and is always happening.

It is not fancy (plastic tablecloths and crystal chandliers if that gives you an image) but is 85% locals and 85% of that is latins.

Has been around for ever--a Little Havana classic.

Old Mar 26th, 1997, 10:58 AM
Ingrid Ortega

I second the Versailles suggestion.. When we visit
Miami, we dine there at least twice!!!
Very local flavor...people and food.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just returned from our first visit to Miami. I wanted to go to a Cuban restaurant and, after much research, decided to try Versailles. We enjoyed it. Good food, courteous service, reasonable prices. I had the ropa vieja, hubby had salmon. The bakery next door is incredibly tempting, too.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:44 AM

I like Versailles -- but Casa Juancho sounds like a winner too. Versailles is Cuban food -- the other sounds like it's Spanish. That might be a small distinction to some gringos but it's lightyears of difference to Miami Latinos.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 02:21 PM

LOVE VERSAILLES AS WELL, IS TOSCA STILL AROUND?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM

CASA JUANCHO is more expensive and formal than VERSAILLES. Both have fantastic food. Juancho, as the other poster said is Spanish food (Spain);Versailles is Cuban, but they also have hamburgers and the like which you aren't going to go there for. Versailles has a more fun atmosphere, lively, lots of light. Juancho is a bit more subdued. Enjoy.