Looking for day trips on Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Honolulu mostly to sit on the beach and relax. But I'm thinking I might like to do a couple of day trips. . I've been to the Polynesian show, and I'm wondering what else I could do for a day. I won't have a car, so will be relying on public transportation .
Unless you can suggest something very special, then I will rent a car for a day.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do.
I appreciate any help .
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl, North Shore, Hanauma bay, windward side. To let you know, the bus goes around the whole island so don't feel like to need a car to get around.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A docent tour of the Iolani Palace was interesting. I haven't done it, but others have recommended a tour of Doris Duke's Shangri-La estate.
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. Just the things I'm looking for. Are these places close enough to bus stops?

I was at Hanauma Bay years ago and loved it. I wanted to see it because the opening scenes from Blue Hawaii were filmed there .
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM

bus may go around the island but it takes forever!!!! I waited over an hour to take the bus to Hanauma Bay and gave up. You can get a "tour" which includes snorkel gear very reasonable. Shangri La is a must in my opinion. have taken it a couple of times and loved it. Bus to Honolulu Academy of Art and then you take a van from there. same bus will take you to Iolani Palace. RESERVATIONS a must for Shangri La. you can get them on line. Friday at noon there is a band concert, Hawaiian music and hula at the Palace. Very nice retreat.

Bishop Museum....I have heard you can take a bus there but have not done so. If you do take a bus, report back as I would like to do that next time I am there. It has been years since I did the Bishop and I understand it has enlarged and is very good for history of the island.....you can take the bus to Pearl harbor for a tour of the Arizona and a tour of the MIssouri which is docked there. Again you can get reservations now online for Arizona tours which have assigned times. Aloha
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM

PS on my post.....Picking up a "walking book of Honolulu" offers a lot of walking neighborhoods. I especially liked Chinatown but be sure to do it in the day time.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Shar, thank you so much. It's exactly the type of information I was looking for .
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay is something I will always remember, it was absolutely spectacular and very easy. They give you equipment a quick training on snorkeling near a reef and let you loose. I stayed in the water till my fingers were blue. I am not sure how easy it is to take a bus there but if at all possible I highly recommend going there to snorkel. It was the highlight of my trip. If you can I'd rent a car and drive around the island even just for one day. It's so easy and you just stumble upon the most stunning scenery. I recommend the North Shore and the area along the coast near Hanauma Bay.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 07:58 PM

There is so much that you can do. Snorkeling and scuba diving are always great. If you feel like being adventurous, you should try diving with the sharks. I have found some great tours on http://www.makemytravelplans.com. You can search any destination and they will list everything that there is.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I think I've decided to rent a car for the day . I'll be able to see so much more.
I snorkelled at Haunama bay on my first visit to Hawaii , and I agree it's fabulous. I might need to do it again. I first went there because the opening scenes to Blue Hawaii were filmed there.

I'm not sure I'm up for diving with the sharks!! But thank you for the link .
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 09:05 AM

I thought an outrigger canoe ride was fun- we caught some great waves.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Some of the tours at Kualoa Ranch are fun and that side of the Island is a must see!
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM

My favorite place on Oahu is Lanikai beach. I would go on a weekday. We just park in the residential area and there are lots of little paths for beach access. Turquoise blue water and usually gentle waves.

The last time we went to Haunama bay we were sad to see that the fish population seems to have decreased and it was really a mob scene even during the week on an off peak period.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Diamondhead (walk to the top), Hanauma Bay, Pearl Harbor and the Iolani Palace are all easy to reach by bus. I would strongly suggest renting a car for the day and driving around the island to Lanikai and then up to the north shore if you haven't done that in the past. Well worth it.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

I love all these suggestions. Thank you all so much . Renting a car for a day or two sounds like a must do. I hope I see some surfers on the north shore, and I know I'll enjoy so many of the things that have been recommended here.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Now that you have decided to get a car- check out Bellows beach- it is a military beach but open to public on the weekend I believe. One of my favorite spots-

There is is a heiau on the north shore that is interesting to visit- I will see if I can find a link
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sunbum . I appreciate the help .
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 10:22 PM

link to the heiau - beautiful views from up there- very sacred to Hawaiians - kind of gives me goose bumps when I am there.

http://www.portaloha.com/SecretsOfHa...ahukaHeiau.htm
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Sunbum, thank you very much. It's sacred place looks very interesting. And the views look awesome .
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 08:59 PM

What I enjoyed the MOST was renting a kayak from one of (I think) 2 places on Lanikai Beach (maybe Kailua), and paddling to Moku Nui (the larger of the two islands that make up the Moks). It's definitely a trip that is highly dependent on the weather and tide forecast, so I suggest calling one of the rental places each morning and asking what the forecast looks like, and be ready to get there as early as possible when a good day shows (the best time is during summer and early fall). Regardless, it is a great experience, and very memorable.

Also, I saw someone else recommend diving with sharks, and you said you might not be up for it But do it!! I went with North Shore Shark Adventures (sharktourshawaii.com) which leaves out of Haleiwa, and despite being pretty terrified myself, it was AMAZING, and one of the most memorable experiences I've had. Surprisingly, being in the cage and watching the sharks is very peaceful, and, personally, completely changed how I feel about sharks and view them. It's perfectly safe, and if you envision the type of dive with a feeding frenzy or sharks hitting the cage, just forget that…the boat goes a few miles offshore to a local fishing spot where a lot of Galapagos and Sandbar sharks hang out to steal an easy meal (haha), so the sharks are already there and the only lure of any kind that was used was a shiny water bottle on a string (much like humans, sharks just can't resist shiny things), no baiting or chumming the water of any kind. I really recommend reconsidering it. because it's truly special.

Visiting Turtle Beach was also really fun (you're not allowed to touch the turtles, but they have a different opinion and are very inquisitive and tend to swim with the notion that either you move, or they move you, haha). I went snorkeling all up and down the windward coast of Oahu and especially enjoyed Shark's Cove (don't worry, it doesn't live up to its name), and Three Tables, but these two spots, while considered some of the best snorkeling on the island, are hugely seasonal and very dangerous during winter. Even during summer, Sharks Cove has quite a strong tide, and as its sister site, Three Tables is friendlier to those that are not strong swimmers. Note that that in no way is indicated whether someone is in shape or not, you can be completely in shape and be a very weak swimmer, or be out of shape and be a hugely strong swimmer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -