Search

Looking for coastal weekend trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for coastal weekend trip

Hi all!

I just recently moved to Bedford, MA (near Boston) and have some family members coming to visit in a few weeks. Since I've been here such a short time, I'm still unfamiliar with the area. When my family arrives to visit, we would all (4 adults - 2 in their 60s and 2 in their 30s) like to go on a weekend coastal getaway somewhere near the Boston area (I really don't want to drive more than 2 hours to get there). I'd love to rent a beach house for the weekend and would love to have some suggestions on towns/regions to consider.

Hanging out on the beach, seeing some sights, shopping, eating good food (especially seafood), and just chilling out are kind of what we're looking to do for the weekend. I had considered Martha's Vineyard but have heard there are TONS of people. We don't mind a few tourists (Outer Banks, for example, was just fine) -- but we don't want to be fighting them off. So, somewhere that's a little off the beaten path would be welcome, too. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
yk

I'm not a beach person, but I suggest looking into the southern coast of Maine (York area), Plum Island near Newburyport, Block Island in Rhode Island. Of course, the outer Cape is nice too. If "in a few weeks" mean Labor Day weekend, it'll be difficult to find any place that's not crowded.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely start researching those. As luck would have it, my family is coming the week AFTER Labor Day, and we're planning on going in the middle of the week, so hopefully accommodations won't be too difficult to find at that point.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM

A few ideas: Kennebunk or Ogunquit in Maine or head down to Mystic, CT or Watch Hill RI. I also second the Block Island idea. Not too far if you take the ferry from Narragansett.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
cw

You won't run into a lot of tourists as you would in the summer, so you really can go anywhere. I'd take a look at places on the Vineyard, Newport, or Chatham. You might look for hotels that have separate cottage accommodations.

Sorry, we always stay in houses in Wellfleet and Truro so I can't help with the hotel part.

Ogunquit is also a good suggestion.