Looking for any information about Congaree Nat'l Park in SC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has been wanting to visit this new national park for some time. I can't seem to get excited about it because from the little I've read, it sounds like a big swamp. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of info about it online. I would appreciate any info you might have about the place. We were thinking of maybe going this weekend. Also, if we stay one night in Colbumbia, what else is there to do in that area?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM

I don't know much about the Congaree Swamp National Park, but yes, it is a swamp. I haven't been there but I've heard it's worth a visit.

As for Columbia, there are some nice restaurants, a very good zoo, a small art cinema, art museum, SC State Museum, State House tours, historic home tours, boutiues and galleries in the Vista area.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM

It's been a few years since I've been to this park, but I remember an extensive wooden boardwalk meandering through it. It was a really lovely walk, and at this time of the year it should be nice--not many mosquitoes. Swamplands are unique.

In Columbia there are several things to see. The African-American history monument on the state capitol grounds is excellent. (it's off to the left side of the building) The gift shop inside the capitol has tons of authentic South Carolina gifts. And as was mentioned by the previous poster--the State museum, the Columbia museum of art, the McKissick art museum on the USC campus, art galleries in the warehouse district (as you head down Gervais street toward the river) Enjoy!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Like Kathleen says there is an extensive boardwalk and the mosquitos will keep you moving. Very humid. Take water. There is an observation tower near the half way point of the loop. The park closes fairly early so if you plan to be there after hrs need to park in the parking area near the primitive camping area which is outside the gates. About .5m walk to the Visitor Center. There was no admission fee last year. www.nps.gov/cosw or google congaree.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We leave tomorrow! It's suppose to be in the 80's so I suspect the mosquitoes will be out.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM

Pianogirl,
I am thinking of going to this NP sometime in the next year or so. How was it? There is only one of two hits that come up on here when I do a search.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM

Gee, only 5.5 years later!!
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM

Gretchen,
You are always critical of my posts. I fully realized that this post was old. There is very little on here(or anywhere) that covers Congaree much at all(yelp, TA). There are a few videos on youtube and there is the parks website. Pianogirl, never wrote I TR that I could find(or anyone else for that matter) and since her post said she was going the next day, I thought it might be good to actually get someones experiences that had been there. Pardon me that it bothers you that the post is 5.5 years late. I guess it doesn't bother fodors or they wouldn't allow posts to exist for that long a period. I often return to a post that has been there for a long time. I wasn't answering a question about a trip(that does get on my nerves when people answer questions about a trip that occured month or even years before),I was asking a question.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM

Spiro,

I'm with you. There is something creepy about the folks who open posts with no apparent reason other than to look for an opportunity to make an annoying comment.

I was interested in this post because I was wondering what I may have missed when we didn't go out of our way to check out Congaree NP when we were in the area last year.

Please let us know your opinion about the park.

HTTY
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM

spiro,

I grew up in Columbia so have been to the park a few times. I love it there, it is very peaceful, and I think the cypress swamp is beautiful and unique. The boardwalk is nice, and the park has always been quite uncrowded the times I've been. I've always wanted to do one of the guided canoe trips or rent my own canoe or kayak to explore from the water, but I just haven't been able to get the time on my recent trips back to the area. I've only ever been on the boardwalk so can't comment on the hiking. I think it's a unique experience and would recommend it if you're in the area; I would avoid summer if you can, due to the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes. If you have any specific questions, let me know -- I'll try to dredge up my memories to answer what I can!
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM

I really haven't spent much time in Georgia, South Carolina, and I don't think I've been to North Carolina at all.

I was noticing that there are some direct flights from XNA(Northwest Arkansas-I live in Oklahoma)to Charlotte. And a lot of the time they are only about $200 round trip. Biltmore House looks interesting(my daughter has been, but my wife and I haven't), Cumberland Island, Cape Haterus, Savanah, and Charleston.

I don't see myself going this year, but perhaps maybe mid-March or end of May 2013. It appears that Congaree floods about 10 times per year and that is probably not the time to go. I imagine that would be in the springtime, but I am not sure. So, not sure about my timing.

I have been to the Smokeys and I am going camping there in June(to see the synchronized firefly flashes)with my 12 year old nephew. We have pretty much done everything we want to do in Tennessee and Kentucky. I just got a free book in the mail from Fodors(THANK YOU)for a quote and I was reading it---- it got me interested.

Thank HTTY and nobigdeal for your comments. Anything else?

I work outside and I am use to the heat and humidity, but I do try to avoid the south in the summer. I am hopeful that the smokeys might be a little cooler in June than the rest of the area. The fireflies I am wanting to see are only there the first couple of weeks in June. Yes, we have fireflies in OK, but they don't all flash at once.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM

The free book I received was Georgia and the Carolinas
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 09:14 PM

spirobulldog,

We call 'em lightnin' bugs, lol! June will be pleasant in the mountains and not too bad elsewhere. It doesn't normally get really sticky in Charleston until July. It stays that way through September.

I'll recommend you also take a look at Hunting Island State Park in SC. It's very different from Congaree, but worth a visit.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM

OK, opening an old post!

We would like to visit Congaree in early March on our way to Charleston. Anyone know of someplace other than a chain hotel to stay? Best towns nearby to search?
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 02:20 AM

It's only an hour and half to Charleston from there. There's not much else out there. You can go back to Columbia, but since Charleston is your destination I say just drive on in.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 03:18 AM

LOTS to do in NC also, when you decide to come our way.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Hi Suewoo,

My husband and I will be in Roanoke VA for a few days (business) We would then drive to Charlotte to pick up his sister at the airport.

However, we can't go to Charleston directly from Charlotte as our reservations in Charleston don't begin until the following day (can't change)

So we need a one night stay and something to do for an afternoon, and maybe a morning. We love trees, love Bald Cypress, so Congaree looked like a fun place to check out.

I would rather not stay in a chain hotel, so maybe I just need to check out B&B's in Columbia? Any other cute small towns nearby to stay in?
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Wow. As a lifelong resident of the Low Country and I lived in Columbia for college, I honestly cannot think of anything to tell you about this area that is even remotely compelling.

There is nothing in St. Matthews or Orangeburg worth seeing, they are both old, poor, textile towns. I'd doubt St. Matthews even has a B&B.

I STRONGLY suggest you head to Charleston. I'm sure there is another hotel you can stay in. Charleston is such a fantastic town, you may be pissed you wasted a day outside Chas.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Forgot to add, Camden is a really cool little town but it is hours out of your way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -