Looking for a must see in Colorado?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Sandra

Looking for a must see in Colorado?

Coming from Boston in late August.Never been there and will be traveling alone. Not sure what city/town to visit for one wk. any recommendations?Thank you.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:59 AM
coskier

Sandra can you be more specific? What do you hope to do while your here? Are you flying in? If so to Denver? Will you have a car? Do you hope to meet others? Are you an outdoorsy type?

I personally would recommend Summit County, Vail.

Check out www.summitnet.com or www.snow.com for a list of summer activites.

There are some hostel type accomdations in Summit that will allow you to meet others, as well as B&Bs.
You will LOVE colorado in August!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Sandra

Not sure where to fly into yet. Will have a car. Looking to stay at hostels to meet others. Semi outdoorsy type. Main objective to get a feel for the area, thinking of relocating.Thanks for idea!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:58 AM
sn

I lived in Colorado for four years and miss it terribly. I'd recommend the following for first-time visitors:

1. Rocky Mountain National Park--you can use the town of Estes Park as your base and enjoy this national treasure. Estes Park, although a bit touristy is beautiful and has a lot to offer--more than any ski town unless you are looking to spend lots of cash.

2. Boulder--great University town with lots of natural beauty surrounding. A quick trip from Denver and en route to Rocky Mountain Park.

3. Pike's Peak--you can drive or climb to the top and enjoy Colorado Springs or old Colorado City to get a feel for the old west, or Manitou Springs for an off-kilter but fun spot. Don't miss Garden of the Gods natural rock park. Again, only an hour from Denver.

4. Telluride/Gunnison/Montrose/Durango--if you have time, these are worth the trip to the beautiful and unpopulated Southern part of the state. All great old towns with an old western feel, surrounded by natural beauty.

5. Frankly, Denver you can see in a day--I never understood why people move to Colorado and then live in Denver which is just an average wanna-be Chicago kind of city. Traffic is horrendous making it harder and harder to get to the mountains which is presumably the perk of living there.

Have fun!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:17 AM
coskier

Sandra you might want to look at a thread posted a while back
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
origianl title "Where should we live in Colorado"

Oh btw we really enjoy Denver.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:19 AM

topping

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:30 AM
x

Sandra, you might want to wait to make your decisions til later in the summer. Looks like much of Colorado is having problems with wild fires. This might impact your final decision.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Connie

SW Colorado

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:43 AM
kima

Add City Park in Denver to your list. Located at Colorado Bvld and 17th Street. Sundays eves have free Jazz concerts at the Pavilion. Also just west of the Pavilion in the park is the new Martin Luther King Memorial. Very impressive and inspiring, made me very proud of my city. Also City Park is home to the Zoo, IMAX Theatre and History and Science Museum.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Bob Brown

I have spent several vacations in Colorado, including some mountain hiking. (No rope stuff.)
Here are some of my favorite areas:
A. Driving:
1. Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP. The road reaches an elevation of about 12,000 feet above sea level. The road is paved an open in the summer.
2. The Million Dollar highway from Ouray to Durango,with a detour by Silverton. Very spectacular, but but not quite as eyepopping at Trail Ridge.
3. The Guanella Pass road south from the Georgetown area. You need a map to see where it is. It goes over the ridge near Mt. Bierstadt. It is mostly unpaved, but worth it.
4. Cottonwood Pass over the main range the Saguache (also Sawatch) Mountains, which incudes Mounts Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, etc. All high peaks over 14,000 feet in elevation.
The road is dirt, but graded.
5. Loveland Pass which is west of Denver off of I 70. You leave the main road to drive over the pass. It is quite spectacular.

B. Hiking
1. In Rocky Mountain National Park, take the trail (marked and worked on by trail crews) up to the Loch. If you are able, continue on to on to Sky Pond. Quite a hike.
2. The Mount of the Holy Cross. The road to the trail head starts near Minturn. The road can be rough, but passable if you are patient and take it easy. The trail leads up to Half Moon Pass. A few hundred yards past the top of the pass the dramatic peak of the Mount itself suddenly looms into view. Dramatic, beautiful, and climable if you are in good shape without ropes or any special gear.
3. The Horn Fork Basin. You will need to ask in Buena Vista for directions. Too complex to give here. The trail leads to a high mountain basin hemmed by Mounts Harvard, Columbia, and Yale, with the rocky wall of the Harvard - Columbia Ridge barring your way to the north.
4. Maroon Bells from Aspen. Well known, and beautiful.
The "dealy Bells" are 14,000 foot peaks. You can admire them from the valley.
5. Yankee Boy Basin near Ouray.
Whether or not you can take your car up there depends on how recently a bulldozer has prepared the road. Usually the road is in good shape to the Camp Bird Mine because the last I heard the mine was still active. The basin is a high glacial basin typical of the Rockies and the Himalayas. It is beautiful, if not awesome. Some people hire jeep rides over to Telluride, or "To Hell You Ride." Awesome, beautiful, thrilling.

There are others, to be sure, but these will hold you for a short trip.
As a little personal history, my wife had never seen those kinds of mountains before until about 1965. At first she was hesitant to drive over the passes.
Then one year, we were out there and drove over Loveland Pass. She had learned what to do and was full of confidence as she went roaring over the turns at a rate of speed that surprised me. So a good driver will adjust quickly. Today, even the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse in Austria is something she takes in stride. I think my message here is this: While driving mountain roads, be prudent, be prepared, but don't be afraid. You can enjoy the scenery much more if you are unafraid but highly respectful of where you are.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:00 PM
pam

Mr. Brown, can any of your recommended scenic drives be done by leaving from Denver about 8:30am and returning to Denver at about 6pm.We are going to a Rockies game. Would love to try RMNP and Trail Ridge road but am guessing there won't be enough time. Thanks!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:30 AM
travellyn

You can do Trail Ridge Road with the time you have available.