Reload this Page >

Looking for a hotel in Indianapolis near Indiana University

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:28 AM
Phoebe Bird

My kids and I are accompanying my husband on a business trip to Indianapolis in mid June, and I'm trying to put together a short list of hotels for us to choose from. Neither of us have ever been there, so I need some help in finding a good neighborhood to stay in. He'll be attending a conference at the University, and we'd like to stay within 4 or 5 miles, although if traffic in Indianapolis isn't too bad, we'd consider staying in the suburbs. I've found some hotels— I'd appreciate any information on the hotels themselves, the neighborhoods they're in, or recommendations for any other hotels. I should mention that our kids are 4 and 2, and while we'll be spending most of our time out of the hotel, I wouldn't feel comfortable inflicting them on business traveler-oriented hotels. Many thanks. Here's my list so far:

Courtyard Downtown $79 (govt. rate), 501 West Washington Street

Courtyard Capitol $79 (govt. rate), 320 N. Senate Avenue

Radisson City Centre $90 (govt. rate), 31 West Ohio Street

Radisson Airport $70 (govt. rate), 2500 S. High School Road

Fairfield Inn College Park $49 (govt. rate), 9251 Wesleyan Road

Fairfield Inn Airport $75 (AAA rate), 5220 W Southern Ave

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:49 AM
hoosier

Last time I looked Indiana University was in Bloomington, which is about 40 or 50 miles south of Indianapolis. Is that where he will be or is the conference in Indianapolis proper?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:58 AM
Phoebe Bird

Hoosier,

It's listed on their website as Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
hoosier

OK, makes more sense. I can't answer the question about hotel, but be sure and take in The Childrens Museum. It's very highly rated in the nation..And the zoo is nice also.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:15 AM
Phoebe Bird

Hoosier,

It's listed on their website as Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:19 AM
Phoebe Bird

Oops, sorry about the double post. It seems to have happened when I clicked refresh. Weird. Anyway, thanks Hoosier, for the recommendations— the Children's Museum and the zoo are already at the top of my list! I've been checking out their websites, I think my kids will enjoy themselves.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:47 AM
Beth

Okay, my vote is to stay downtown, anything near Circle Center, RCA Dome or Union Station. This will be about a 10 min. drive from IUPUI but will be in a great area for you guys to walk to a lot of neat stuff. There is almost no traffic in Indy anyway unless there is road construction (I-65 was a nightmare last summer!)

In the more expensive category:
Hyatt Regency - RCA DOme
Westin - Convention Center
Crowne Plaza Union Station - my fav

Less expensive:
Courtyard Mariott
Hampton Inn on Meridian - great location across the street from Circle Center mall and entertainment center

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Dr. Bitterpants

Phoebe, first off I'd eliminate the airport hotels... Those would be about 10-to-12 miles west of the downtown area. The Fairfield at College Park is about 10 miles NW from downtown, too. If you need to stay at any of these ones, you are close to basic shopping and dining, but not much else.

The remaining hotels are downtown proper, within 1-to-3 miles of the IUPUI campus, and for those rates not too bad! All downtown hotels are about 4-to-5 miles from the Children's Museum, 0-1.5 miles to Circle City Mall and many dining options.

Courtyard Downtown would be best to discover White River State Park & Gardens, the Canal Walk, Eiteljorg Museum, minor league Indianapolis Indians Victory Field and the Indy Zoo. I believe there will be some construction/road work around there with the new Indiana State Museum finalization and IMAX theatre renovation.

Courtyard Capitol is a short drive to those destinations, as well as a hopping on point for the Canal Walk (I believe it is on the Canal), and is next to the Indiana Historical Society if you need to catch some hoosier historical hysteria.

Best and safe journeys

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:20 AM
Phoebe Bird

"Hoosier historical hysteria"— wow, say that 3 times fast! Thank you for the quick replies, everyone. I'd like to stay downtown if possible, there seems to be a lot to do. How much does hotel parking cost downtown, typically? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the hotels listed in my first message? Cleanliness, etc? Thanks.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:56 AM
mary lewis

Do not stay at the downtown Radisson - it is a dump. The Hyatt is good, the Embassy Suites is better (plus the free breakfasts!). Both are connected to the Circle Center shopping area.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Mary Lou Easter

The Courtyard Downtown and at the Capitol are both very nice hotels. They both have free parking. I stay at them often while on business downtown and walk from there to the Circle Center Mall and other sites downtown. Indianapolis is a safe, walking city. The Downtown hotel has a Friday's restaurant in it. I don't believe there is a restaurant in the other one. The Etiljorg Museum is right across the street from the Downtown as is the IMAX theater and the new NCAA Building. The Canal Walk is close to both and you are very close to IUPUI. Either are a good choice.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Sue

I just returned and can't understand why no one recommended the Doubletree University Place right on the campus. Quite nice. The Marriott Courtyard would be next as far as close.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:40 PM
jhjhj

I second (or third) the above listing for the Hampton downtown. Nice motel great location. Also, the Children's museum isn't too far from there and the zoo is very nice too. Not to mention Circle Center across the street which has an awesome game center. I have done this with my son for the Olympic pre-trials for swimming and a swimm meet of his own. A nice city.

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Phoebe Bird

Sue, can you tell me a bit more about the Doubletree on campus? That's actually where we have decided to stay. It seems to be pretty convenient to the places we plan to visit, plus of course the conference my husband will be attending is being held there. We don't plan to spend much time in the hotel, but I was wondering, as it is a conference hotel, will my kids (4 1/2 and 2 1/2) be conspicuous and/or unwelcome? When my husband made the reservation, he asked about this and was assured they would be welcome. I was also wondering what kind of food is available in the food court? Many thanks.

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:26 AM
tmpn

It doesn't appear you are getting much genuine help - i lived in indy for 7 years and miss it alot - it's a great city, very clean, lots to do. My recommendation is to stay downtown at the radisson - it's not the best hotel, but it's in a great location, close to everything - you won't need a car unless you want to leave downtown.

GREAT restaruants nearby - be sure to go to ST. Elmos - it's an indy tradition, great steaks, cocktails and the best shrimp cocktail ever.

Us Hoosier call Indiana University-Purdue University, IUPUI (ooeepuuee)

have a great time!

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Phoebe Bird

Thank you, tmpn. We were considering the Radisson, but we got a good rate at the Doubletree on campus, and it's more convenient since my husband's conference is there. Can anyone give me any input about the restaurants we're planning to eat at? We're pretty much going cheap and casual since the kids will be with us:

Bar-B-Q Heaven
Bazbeaux
Giancarlo's Pizza
Le Peep
City Market Deli

Any other recommendations? Thanks!