Looking for a great mix of Boston restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, Boston experts ... I need your help!

My husband and I will be in Boston for 3 nights (Friday, Sat. Sunday) in mid-October and I am looking for some great suggestions on places to eat. I know there are SO many in Boston ... but I'm hoping that maybe someone can help us experience a good mix of what Boston has to offer. Different kinds of food, different neighborhoods, etc. We will not have a car, and are staying at the Lenox in the Back Bay area ... so I don't think we want to travel too far (i.e to suburban areas).

We live in Chicago, which is also a great restaurant town and we eat out a lot ... so I am anxious to see how Boston compares. We pretty much love anything ... would undoubtedly like to find a great seafood place, and I've heard we should eat in the North End one night. Any suggestions?

At least one of the nights can be at a somewhat expensive place ... and then perhaps the other two a little more reasonable but still fun?

By the way, I am 29 and my husband is 36.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:40 PM

No Name Seafood is my favorite.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:45 PM

The ELEPHANT WALK on Beacon Street serves excellent French Cambodian cuisine in a cool atmosphere. Fantastic.

www.elephantwalk.com

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM

dreamingofItaly,
If you are indeed dreaming a little dream of Italy, you must venture forth and go to Boston's North End for dinner one night. Many fine restaurants to choose from. You can do a search on this website to see what others have suggested. Also, for dessert in the North End try Cafe Vittoria, I think it's right on Hanover Street (guys and gals, am I right on this?)
I've suggested this before on this site, but for a wonderful dining experience in Boston (albeit expensive) try L'espalier. It's French/American cuisine (if memory serves) and it's located between Newbury and Comm. AVe on Gloucester. It's an old home and you could walk right by if you weren't looking for it; the sign is pretty inconspicuous. My DH and I went there once, you won't be disappointed. Check out their website also...www.lespalier.com. Good luck and have fun!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:11 PM

The No Name is past its prime. Grillfish on Columbia has good seafood. Traditional lobster shack fare is available at Jasper White's Summer Shack. Kingfish Hall is in Quincy Market and is supposed to be quite good. The Barking Crab is another local favorite for seafood. And of course there's Legal Seafoods.

The North End is the place for Italian. Terra Mia and Massimino's are two that I've tried and gone back to.
Though there are so many there to choose from. Everyone has their favorite.

The South End is the place for trendier fare. Brasserie Jo is very good but I understand that there is one in Chicago too so that may not interest you. Aquitaine and Hamersely Bistro are perpetual favorites.

The trendy area in town now is called the Ladder District. Formerly run down still somewhat sketchy but vastly improved by the presence of the new Ritz Carlton.

Another spot that I enjoyed was Les Zygomates in the Leather District - near South Station. Extensive wine list.

Check out phantomgourmet.com for lots of reviews and discussions.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Just to clarify two points - 1. Brasserie Jo is not really in the South End. Its at the Colonade Hotel on Huntington which is the border between the South End and Back Bay.

2. The Ladder District has places so trendy that this 40 something wouldn't bother with them, hence my failure to give you a name or two. But others who are hipper than I will be able to tell you what's what.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Ask the expert foodies at www.chowhound.com at the Boston site... Not far from you is Jason White on Dalton Street for seafood...
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you like gourmet, I would suggest Hamersly's Bistro, and Aquitaine in the south end, not far from your hotel, Down the street from your hotel on Boylston is a new favorite of ours, Troquet across from the Boston Common.
Brasserie jo at the Copley Hotel serves a great fruit de mer if you like seafood.You can tajke the subway almost next door to your hotel and come to Harvard Square and dine at several wonderful restos-Rialto, Legal sea foods, henrietta's Table all at the Charles Hotel Complex. And then there is the Harvest on Brattle street.
Legal is the best seafood and they have their own in house microbioligist so you never will worry about eating my fav oysters and there are several in diff. areas. A fu place on the waterfront is the "Barking crab"

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions so far ... this will definitely help me get started with a little research.

Of course, I have heard of Legal Seafood ... but I can't decide if we should go there. I feel like I've heard both good and bad things. Is it really great seafood or is it just another chain with mass-produced fish?

Keep the suggestions coming! I love 'em!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:09 AM

If you're looking for a mix of things, a great fun place to check out is Red Bones. It's a reformed biker/barbeque place that has excellent food. I forget the location, but I will never ever forget the buffalo shrimp.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:30 AM

On the pricey, but very good, side you might consider either Via Matta (hip, noisy room - great Italian food) or Radius (more sedate - very nice food and service). You will definately need reservations well in advance for either. Enjoy!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:35 AM
mm

check www.phantomgourmet.com for reviews. There is also a section for viewer feedback with many entries discussing the merits of hundreds of restaurants.

MM
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM

Right across the street from the Lenox is Abe & Louie's - magnificent steaks and sides. Gorgeous place with terrific service. Awesome (and reasonably priced) Saturday and Sunday brunch. Anytime you're hungry but not ravenous, Abe & Louie's special salad is amazing.

Best seafood in Boston these days is at Jasper White's Summer Shack in Back Bay.

For an experience like no other, head for Lydia Shire's Excelsior next door to the Four Seasons.

As for Harvard Square, Cassablanca offers amazing food and we love Sandrine's (Alsatian).
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:54 AM
gyppielou

DreamingOfItaly

Legals is quite simply chain food. They were great back in the day, but most every restaurant will have seafood and fish choices, and the higher end trendy places will be of unquestionable quality. There's an old Boston question floating around the top 100 latest responses that has more detailed ideas I've posted. Happy eating!

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I think Legal's is still quite good, even though they have branched out. Another different kind of seafood place is the Naked Fish, just across the street from Fanuel Hall - very exotic and delicious Brazillian Seafood. Durgin Park at Fanuel Hall is the 'ultimate' Boston style eatery - very casual, codfish, baked beans, meatloaf, waitresses right out of the '50's - touristy but fun. For something really exotic (you eat with your hands!), try the Addis Red Sea, an Ethiopian restaurant a few blocks south of the Prudential Center.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 03:54 PM

I have to disagree with gypilou. Legal's fish is the freshest you will find because they have their own daily catch on the docks and their own microbioligist who tests their fish.
It's not exotic preperation but when fish is really fresh you shouldn't cover it up with anything to disguise that fact.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:14 PM
GR

Some favorites from a Bostonian:

Rouge in the South End
Intimate, funky restaurant with a fabulous take on Southern food.

West Side Lounge in Cambridge (between Harvard and Porter squares)
Great atmosphere/service/food, reasonably priced

Dali in Cambridge
A fantastic tapas restaurant; we liked Cafe Ba Ba Reeba in Chiacgo but Dali wins hands down for atmosphere/food quality.

Finale in Harvard Square and he Theater District
Fun (but pricey) dessert bar.

Euno's (Italian not of the ubiquitous red-sauce variety) in the North End

Legal Seafoods
Always good; I think Jasper White is overrated but then again, I'm not into fried fish

Argana
Atmospheric Morrocan restaurant in Cambridge's Inman Square (a hopping, fun place)

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:28 PM

I agree with all your choices GR
Let me add Helman's the beautiful Aphganistan restaurant in Cambridge.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:42 PM

I wasn't going to post a reply because you were given some good suggestions but then you were given a few mediocre ones so I need to put my 2 cents in:

North End: My favorite is Giacomo's. There is always a wait outside but it usually moves quickly for a party of 2 and it's worth it. The ambience is minimal but the prices are very reasonable and the food is wonderful. They have a lot of seafood on the menu.
South End: The Claremont Cafe is a small, charming restaurant with great food and reasonable prices.
Back Bay: A fun area to visit and shop but it lacks memorable restaurants. Casa Romera is a old classic with authentic Mexican food and a nice, romantic atmosphere and reasonable prices.
"Ladder District": Mantra is not at all reasonably-priced but it's hip and trendy (and a great place to go if you can expense it!)
Beacon Hill: Lala Rokh is a Persian restaurant with good, reasonably-priced food.
There are hundreds of other great restaurants but if you're only going to be in town for a few days, I would stick to restaurants in areas where you can stroll around before or after dinner and enjoy the neighborhoods.