lookinfg for info on Mexican War Streets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -- My husband and I will be moving to Pittsburgh this summer. In all liklihood, we will rent until we get a better sense of the area, but are entertaining the fantasy of buying should the right place come along. I would love some advice from all of you past and present Pittsburghers.

I looked at a few properties in the Mexican War Street area last weekend, and was generally impressed. Yes, the Northside seemed a bit more run down than some of the other neighborhoods on the East side, but here are a few of the plusses I am considering about this area:
1. The architecture is beautiful, and so are (most of) the streets. I am really drawn to older houses in general, and the wood floors and original details in these houses were lovely. Some have been completely renovated from top to bottom but still have the historical features preserved.
2. My husband will be working downtown and we only have one car. So, it would be ideal if he could manage a short commute on public transportation to work.
3. Many houses in our price range.
4. I like the idea of living close to downtown...like the residential but still urban feel of the area. I am *not* a suburb person.
5. Close to Strip District where I can shop for food items from many different cuisines. I am a cook (non-professional for now), and spend a lot of time shopping for groceries.
6. We have been told that the real estate in this area is quickly appreciating in value as more of the houses are being renovated, and that we could make a decent profit if we sold in six or seven years.

Now, for the minuses:
1. Crime: I have received mixed messages about crime in this area. On this message board, there are a few posts warning out of state buyers to steer clear of MWS at all costs. There are also posts from people who are happy there. I don't want to be afraid to walk out of my front door after dark, but I expect that there are pockets of sketchier areas throughout the entire city.
2. Bad schools. This is a concern; however, we will in all liklihood not have any school age children while we are living in this house. But do tell me just how bad they are.
3. Not a lot to do. As far as I can tell there is one cafe, a bar, and a few stores. I've also heard that the Eagle grocery on the Northside is one of the worst in town. On the other side, I have been told that a major building project is just about to be underway on the shore of the Northside with a parking deck, shops, restaurants, etc. Is there enough to do downtown (within walking distance)?

So, I need some advice. Please try to distinguish between the rumors about MWS (particularly as it was three to four years ago) and knowledge from experience.

With anticipation,
Sarah
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM

ttt
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:00 PM

sara:

wise move, no commitment. you might just like it. There is a library between the old Allegheny Center Mall which is now an office complex that is a bonus. Again when I went to college at CCAC on the North Side I never felt particularly scared by myself, day or night. However this neighborhood isn't my type. When you've been in Pittsburgh you may get to take in other neighborhoods and like them more.

Please check out Shadyside. I use to love walking from Squirrel Hill to that area (about a mile each way) and taking in the architecture and all the lovely lawns everyone had year around.

I'd suggest going to post-gazette.com which is the major Pittsburgh paper and look in the classifieds. Also do a search on the Internet under Pittsburgh City Paper and see if you can't view their classifieds too.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM

Hi sarah, I have no knowledge of Pittsburgh but I would like to comment that the idea of renting before buying is very smart IMO, especially when you are relocating to an unfamilar area. When I sold my house and moved to another city I decided to rent. I thought I wanted to buy in an area that has lovely older homes. Now I know I do not want to, that borders an area that has a crime problem. And the schools in that area are not up to the standards of the rest of the schools.

Regarding concerns about crime rates. In California and I would think in Pittsburgh one can get the crime statistics from the Police Dept. Good to know what type of crime also. Car burlgaries versus murders, rapes etc.

Regarding schools. Even if you don't plan to have school age children when living in Pittsburgh it is very wise to buy in an area that has good rated schools. When you want to sell there is always a good chance any prospective buyer will or plans on having children so they will want to buy where there is a good education system. Again, do not know about Pittsburgh but in California the public schools are rated so it is possbile for buyers to check on each and every school and where they fall on the rating ladder.

It sounds to me like you are doing an excellant job with planning out this move. Best wishes to you two.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:24 PM

The only plus that the Northside has over the other neighborhoods (Squirrel Hill, etc....) is the architecture and that isn't even a given anyways. There is no guarantee that the neighborhood will improve either. Since I moved back to Pittsburgh in 1997, I have seen the talk every year about "the promising aspect of the Northside" but without much progress. My judgement: avoid. Not a decent place to live. Just my frank opinion.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM

oh, crime. not really problem per the statistics but I still wouldn't be comfortable as a female walking in the dark. enough to do downtown? there is nothing to do downtown other than a few restaurants and the arts. it's like any poorly designed downtown in any major US city.

schools? as on poster alluded, schools affect property values. one more reason to avoid.

property appreciation? hmmmm. only if you bought low and put a lot of work into the place. otherwise, you won't get the kind of appreciation you are probably seeking in Pittsburgh. wrong part of the country for this. the housing market is already slowing considerably here.