Long Weekend in SF - Advice on Plans so far

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about a month out from our long weekend in SF and have done quite a bit of research but could still use some input on our itinerary. There are two couples; we have been to SF several times and want to explore some of the neighborhoods and the more “local” flavor. We do not really plan on any museums. The other couple have never been so want to do a few more “touristy” things but may stay with us as well. We are staying at the Andrews Hotel in Union Square and plan on walking or public transportation for most of our trip.

Saturday - Arrive and get to hotel to drop off luggage about noon. Wander / explore for the afternoon.

Sunday - In the morning, work our way towards Golden Gate Park, bay/ocean, and Golden Gate Bridge. Have seen information about both Ocean Beach / Baker Beach as well as Sutro Baths. Is one beach nicer/better than the other? Which will be easier to get to either directly from hotel or via Golden Gate Park? Does one offer better views of Golden Gate Bridge? Are the baths worth visiting? If we wanted to stop off in a neighborhood (maybe Pacific Heights / Cow Hollow or Marina / The Presido) on the way, would one be more likely to have some activities/life on a Sunday morning? We were thinking of late brunch / lunch at Tipsy Pig; is this any good?

In the afternoon, my husband and I are headed to Candlestick to tailgate and then go to the 49ers game. We have been trying to find options for dinner after the game ends and we get back to the downtown area. Thinking about Zuni Café both because it has been recommended by a chef friend and offers slightly later hours (and not knowing exactly how long the game will last it is harder to plan on someplace else). Any opinions on Zuni? We are considering going with The 49ers Experience which includes transportation and game tickets. We can either be picked up at Fishermans Wharf or the Civic Center. Is one better than the other?

Monday - We were going to do a culinary tour of North Beach; the morning seems a better choice but would like to get input if that is not true.

Tuesday - Private tour of Russian River Valley in Sonoma with a quick stop at Muir Woods in the morning before the tour buses arrive.

Wednesday - home

I am still waiting on the schedule for San Francisco City Guides for October to see if any would be of interest for Saturday afternoon or Monday. We were thinking that it might be fun to explore Russian Hill / Nob Hill. We do not really have a huge desire to visit Haight Ashbury, the Castro, or China Town. Any recommendations?

We have reservations at Wayfare Tavern one night. Want to find a good Italian restaurant and a good seafood restaurant for the other nights. Authentic and good food are more important than the perfect view. Any thoughts? A couple that have caught my attention so far are Hyde Street Bistro, Barbacco, and Oola Restaurant and Bar. We are probably going to try to hit someplace for Happy Hour and then have a little later dinner - mainly so we have more chances to eat at different restaurants! I have also seen pretty good reviews for Sotto Mare but have not really been able to find a menu to preview. We also have a friend who raves about Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion® Cuisine; we would probably do this for a Happy Hour.

We would appreciate any input / direction you can provide.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Just a couple of thoughts. First, there is plenty of public trans. to 49er games -- dedicated Muni buses. Look on the Muni website.

Barbacco is very good, but very casual - more of a lunch place - sandwiches and salads. We like Roy's a lot, but I always hesitate to eat at any "chain" when in a place like SF which has so many great choices.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Just a couple of thoughts. First, there is plenty of public trans. to 49er games -- dedicated Muni buses. Look on the Muni website.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Agree. Have the freedom to come and go as you please. And the fans and tailgating are almost as good as the game!
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:35 AM

The Ferry Building, if you're near it, and want a bite to eat. Lots of choices, all good.

Italian restaurant: Sodini's Green Valley Restaurant on Green Street in Little Italy. No reservations and no dessert. Just your good old-fashioned Italian restaurant, no fuss, great vibe, NOT a trendy place. If you're into getting the right wine with your dinner, just ask the bartender; she's great. They're all great. You'll feel like part of the familia. Can get very crowded and with their no reservations policy, plan carefully or be prepared for a long wait.

On the two beaches: there's a difference between the two.

Ocean Beach is huge and forms almost the entire south & western boundary of San Francisco. It's not really a sunbathing beach - more for walking and enjoying the brisk ocean air. Here's more information for you to help with your decision.

http://www.parksconservancy.org/visi...ean-beach.html

Baker Beach is smaller and, although also facing west, is on the northern side of San Francisco. It's warmer and more pleasant on Baker Beach.

http://www.parksconservancy.org/visi...ker-beach.html

If you're feeling really fit, try the Baker Beach "stairs".

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/qW9Kh..._PbS_rMxmNH-bw

Sutro Baths is well worth exploring. The nearby Cliff House is a great place to catch a bite, especially the Bistro side. On a clear day, the view out to the ocean and along Ocean Beach is beautiful.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Do consider visiting the De Young museum in Golden Gate park. They have a traveling show from the Orsay Museum in Paris of Impressionist art. Its fabulous. The Orsay is remodeling so these works are really woth seeing.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM

I'd recommend walking the Golden Gate Promenade at Crissy Field. I can't remember the name of this beach, but it is so pleasant. It is on SF Bay looking toward the Golden Gate Bridge. For more info, check this website: http://www.nps.gov/prsf/ and click on the map. This is a National Recreation Area and the entire Presidio has lots to explore.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM

The October schedule for City Guides will be the same as the September schedule. There will be a few "October only" tours, but these are usually "odd" tours that would appeal more to locals than visitors. There are lots of tours on Saturdays - fewer on Mondays.

You can't possibly accomplish half the stuff you want to do on Sunday if you plan to attend the Oakland game on Oct 17 at 1PM. If you will be here for the Philadelphia game that starts at 5:20 on Oct 10, then it is probably do-able if you get a very early start in the day. Remember, there is reduced public transportation on a Sunday.

Tipsy Pig would be OK. Lots of restaurants in the Marina/Cow Hollow area along Chestnut, Fillmore, and Union St. Also, many farther south on Fillmore in the Pacific Heights neighborhood. Elite Cafe on Fillmore in Pacific Heights is quite nice for brunch - but all those spots are quite crowded - especially if the weather is nice.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM

I agree with elnap - Crissy field & Ft Point would be the best venue. Ft Point is open on Sundays, so go up to the remparts for great views of the Bridge, Golden Gate, (entrance to the Bay), and downtown (in the afternoon). You could have brunch at the Tipsy Pig on Chestnut, and then walk to the Marina Green & then to Crissy field & Ft Point.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Remember, there is reduced public transportation on a Sunday.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Wouldn't the most convenient way be to take BART to the airport and catch a cab from there? I'm definitely not a local transportation expert,just thinking out loud. And maybe I'll learn something.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Socaloc, to where? To the game at Candlestick? If that's what you mean, no, the most convenient will be to take a dedicated Muni bus from the city to the game.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Further, the airport is as far south of Candlestick as Union Square is north.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Thanks sf7307. I told you I wasn't the transportation expert. lol Our 49er trips are based solely on location for the game. If we have time, we'll BART into the city from the airport or trolley in from a hotel. Boy, did I learn something.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. We are going to the 49ers vs Eagles game at Candlestick. My husband actually purchased a package so we have transportation and game tickets (plus are entered to win prizes!). We will look over all of your suggestions and see what we can loosely finalize for our weekend.

Thanks, Eva
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM

sutro baths - nothing there but a few slabs of the old foundation but there is a great walk called Lands End that starts there. Agree about the Cliff House - nice for a drink, or lunch. Definitely do the stairs at the Baker Beach =. Help you work off all the good food the City has to offer.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM

We love to visit the Palace of Legion of Honour (they have Impressionist Paris exhibit now, and regular museum is great). From there, you can hike along Lands End and end up at the Sutro Baths. Interesting ruins. Lunch or dinner at Cliff House. Also, there is a great restaurant across from Ocean Beach called the Beach Chalet. On the outskirts of GGPark. I prefer that restaurant to Cliff House.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Also, another vote for Sodini's in North Beach. We ate there last weekend. Good food, local color. Place has been there 75-100 years; forget which.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 05:35 AM

keep your Wayfare Tavern reservation..that's a hot ticket right now. Zuni is a good choice as well - it's an SF institution.

I would do Perbacco instead of Barbacco (they are sister restaurants with Perbacco being the nicer spot and Barbacco being more small and casual). Other great spot dinner spots for Italian are A16 (Marina), Incanto (Noe Valley), La Ciccia (Glen Park), Delfina (Mission). For seafood, try Waterbar for a nice restaurant or Bar Crudo for more of a raw bar experience and a more neighborhood fee. My favorite restaurant right now is Frances...it's in the Castro so you have to be a bit more liberal minded...and you have to make reservations far ahead of time.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Hi Evagem94,

The Tipsy Pig is good if you're looking for a crowded and loud place. It has a great bar scene so we like to bring our friends there so they can check out the singles scene. The whole Marina area is great for young people.

Hopefully the weather is good when you're here. Some of my suggestions when it is nice can be found here: http://karenlac.wordpress.com/2010/0...san-francisco/

Karen
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Lots of good advice here. If you decide on Zuni Cafe, make sure you have a reservation (http://www.zunicafe.com/reservations.html). The Open Table link is handy for finding a restaurant as well as making a reservation, as there are good search options and reviews on the site. I agree on the suggestion of the De Young Impressionism exhibition (http://deyoung.famsf.org/), just keep in mind you have to buy tickets for a specific date and time window in addition to your admission price. I suggest reserving the audio guide, as they've done an excellent job of providing information which complements the art. There is a less ballyhooed but worth seeing show, also from the Orsay, at the Palace of the Legion of Honor, no extra tickets required, and your De Young admission will work there on the same day. They have a pleasant cafe with informal French bistro food to celebrate the Orsay connection. And, of course, the views from there of the Golden Gate and Bay are spectacular. I went to both with my out of town cousins, starting at 10 AM at the De Young, then driving to the Palace of the Legion of Honor, having lunch and enjoying that museum and its surroundings.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM

ttt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -