Long Plane Ride...

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Plane Ride...

We're going to Maui in 3 weeks. I haven't been on a plane for that long a length of time before. I'm a nervous flyer and books usually keep me distracted.

What are your best tips for making the ride over as comfortable as possible?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I would suggest a portable DVD player. traveled with one for the first time a few weeks ago...brought a collection of DVDs and it made my trip seem a lot shorter.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I am the same way. I always travel with my laptop for playing DVD's and games, Video iPod for music, TV shows and movies and Nintendo DS lite for games. I always bring along my own travel blanket, bottled water and healthy snacks like oatmeal bars, unsalted almonds. On long flights Xanax really helps as well.

Before you know it, you will be there. The best thing is to bring things that make you comfortable. It's not just about distraction, but about making yourself feel as good as you can. Don't forget to get up and walk around every hour or so and drink lots of water. Don't wear clothing that binds or is too tight. I also find pre moistened face cloths make me feel better too. Hope this helps, I'm sure you will get lots more ideas.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM

All suggestions above are good, but the best way to make a long ride comfortable ... first class.

Find out which airplane you're taking, and if you are going to have an individual screen. Several years ago I took a 12 hour flight and had an individual screen with "on demand" type broadcasting as well as video games.

Get a good page turner book (not a "hard to read" classic"). My latest recommendation, a retelling of Zorro by Isabel Allende.

Important also, don't drink alcohol, but a lot of water.

Get up and strech every 2 hours or so.

Get a good night sleep.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM

I bring a little toiletry kit with Olay face cloths, moisturizer, toothbrush, toothpaste, and some other things. Washing my face and brushing my teeth gets me relaxed and comfy, and I find I can nap better, or just relax with a book or movie. Then when it is close to landing, I wash up again - it refreshes me and makes me feel less tired after the flight.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM

You didn't say where you were coming form, but other people have given great ideas! One word of caution - try not to sleep too much on the plane if you can help it. You are going to want to go to bed (once in Maui) early that evening (but stay up for dinner if you can) and then try to sleep as late as possible (which you will prob find to be about 5-6 AM). This will hopefully get you onto Maui time pretty well. Going home is when you really notice the jet lag!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I'm making my list.

jules, we're leaving from Houston.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I always bring my iPod, a bottle of water, a snack, a book and a magazine or two. I highly recommend Vanity Fair for airplane flights - it's very well written and also text-heavy (in other words, you won't be through with it in 20 min)

Also, go to www.seatguru.com - it's a great site that will help you choose a seat where you're most comfortable.