Reload this Page >

Long Flight to Hawaii-How to spend time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Gil

We'll be leaving for Hawaii this Sunday from O'Hare. How have you managed to pass the time on the long flight over?

Open to any suggestions...I know it's important to get up and move about often. Are there movies on-board United flights?

Thanks a bunch.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:54 AM
have

Have you heard of the mile high club?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Lenore

Definitely rent the headphones and watch the movie (if available). They usually have other shows on after the movie to help pass the time. Bring a deck of cards, crossword puzzle books, magazines, a book and snacks & water. The flight over isn't that bad because you're excited. Coming home is a royal drag...we thought it would never end! Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:56 AM
gil

No...tell me more.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:38 AM
your

The original post was a stupid question, maybe it was you.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Liz

Gil, Ignore the ignorant comments from those above.....they are out in droves today...I thought school was back in session...
If it will fit your budget, buy a portable dvd, they are great, around $400. That way you won't have to depend on airline movies. And oh how the time flies by when you are watching a movie you have been wanting to see for a while, before you know it you'll be on a beach sipping something wonderful. Aloha!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:12 PM
gil

Thanks Lenore and Liz for the good tips. I put the playing cards on my list-don't know how I forgot that one. We do have a laptop with DVD player-just have to buy two more movies.

This will be the longest commercial flight my wife and I have ever been on. I've been to Hawaii before-but-courtesy of the Army on their aircraft. I'm uneasy about the meals aboard. We've requested low-fat meals-no telling what they'll come up with!All a part of the adventure I guess. Aloha.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Melissa

Gil, I am going the opposite way in October, from Hawaii to Chicago. I also ordered low-fat meals so please let us know how they turned out!

I don't know about you, but I can sleep just about anywhere. Other than watching the movie and having my meal, I sleep most of the time.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:36 PM
gil

Have to admit I slept better before 9/11. I'll report back on the quality of the meals.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Mar

You can also bring your own food; why rely on the airlines to know what you like? as long as it isn't something that will annoy other people with wierd smells, etc, why not?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Lenore

I agree Mar - We always just assume that whatever food the airlines provide, it will be lousy. We have been pleasantly surprised a few times, but those were rare exceptions. Bring plenty of snacks! Fruit, nuts, cereal bars and string cheese all pack easily are always good and somewhat filling. And don't forget the water! They say to drink plenty to avoid jet-lag, plus it forces you to get up more often. By the way, our jet lag was all after we got home, not in Hawaii (thankfully). Enjoy!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:38 PM
laurie

You are whining about a flight from Chicago to Hawaii. Try a flight from NYC to Sydney, Australia. Now that is a flight! Read, sleep, eat, read, sleep, eat, watch a movie or 2. You'll survive fine. Just remember to get up and walk around a few times. Prevents those killer blood clots. Very dangerous.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:36 PM
MLS

I got a prescription for Xanax before I got on. Took 75mg right when I got on. Was stoned the whole time. Would wake up and wander to the bathroom every few hours....otherwise sat down and slept. I strongly advise!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Mike Honeycutt

I recommend the usual - books and watch a movie.

Some suggestions I haven't seen:
- Hand held video game with headphones. The games on my Palm Pilot saved my sanity on the return trip from Hawaii as my flight was cancelled *twice*.

- Travel Pillow - I find the "horse collar" pillows work for me and I can actually sleep.

- Geeky Tip - take your GPS and keep your fellow passengers informed as you cross major landmarks. Likewise, correcting the pilot says on speed/altitude will impress your fellow travellers - "Well actually, we are 37,312 feet above sea level instead of the 37,300 feet Pilot Dave mentioned".

All kidding aside, the return trip was much worse for us with the timezone changes.

Mike Honeycutt

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Ed

Gil, I suppose it's too late now, but next time I think you should arrange it so you can sleep overnight in Los Angeles and then continue on the next morning! Of course, if it's NOT too late to make the chnage now, DO IT!!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Gil

Thanks to all for the great tips. I bought the playing cards, have the DVD player on my laptop, I'll get plenty of bottled water and snacks, and I've loaded up on film.

From what I've learned and read here, does seem the jet-lag hits worse on the return trip. Oh well, what can you do.

You guys are the best........ALOHA!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Lenore

Have a great trip Gil.....I'm so jealous!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Liz

Aloha Gil, I am jealous too! Remember to request the bulkhead or emergency row seating for more leg room! Ear plugs always work for me too when I want to nap, especially if there are nearby kiddies crying.
Thanks MLS for your Xanax idea, ha, gave me a good laugh too!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Liz

p.s. Also Gil, there are adapters for the earphones on your laptop so that you and your traveling companion may watch at the same time-any Best Buy has those adapter plug thingys. Safe journey!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:52 PM
diane

We flew to Hawaii from Dulles in August on United. The movies were free and the meals were pretty good (we were pleasantly surprised). One movie they showed was the Greek Wedding movie. I had never heard of it, watched for half an hour or so, and decided it was dumb and that I'd rather read my book. I have been so surprised to find that it turned into the "surprise hit of the summer"! I pass most of my time on long trips with a book. Despite having only a carryon, I packed three paperbacks (from the library). I would HATE to be stranded in an airport without a book--of course, I could go buy one, but why take a chance that the stores might be closed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -