LONG drive from Grand Canyon to West Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of a 3 week trip out West, my wife and I will be driving from GC South Rim to West Yellowstone in one day. Yahoo Maps lists it as 12-ish hours while Mapquest pegs it at 14-ish hours. While Mapquest is typically more accurate in my experience, for every other route that we mapped for our trip, Mapquest route came in shorter (timewise). Odd...

While we'd love to stop and check out some of southern Utah's parks or drive on scenic Rt 12(?), we simply don't have time on this trip and must make this haul in a day.

Wondering if anyone's done this trip and can vouch for either yahoo or mapquest estimate, or any pointers on the quickest route to take?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:29 PM

I think most people who read your request will wonder why you have to cover so much ground so fast. You are probably meeting family or some such reason. I have no experience using either map service, but I do have some experience driving in Arizona and Utah.

My first thought was that you should get on I15 as quickly as possible, probably connecting in Las Vegas. That strikes me as a long drive in the wrong direction (west). It's shorter to go around the east side of Grand Canyon, across the Glen Canyon Dam. Eventually you will find yourself on Utah rt. 89, from which you can turn west and take a slow but gorgeous drive through the tunnel into Zion Park. Keep heading west for another 20-30 minutes and you will be on Interstate 15. This route is more interesting and, over all, prettier, than going through Las Vegas, but it's probably no faster.

It would be nice if you could spend a night in Springville (sp?) right outside of Zion and see a little of Zion Park during what is left of the day. That would leave you a more manageable 9-10 hour drive up to West Yellowstone.

If you are going to head back south after seeing Yellowstone, drive south through the Tetons, Jackson, Star Valley, Bear Lake, and through the mountain road that goes into Logan, Utah, a lovely drive all the way.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:43 PM

I have never driven this route, but from what I can see on the map:

It's 51 miles from Mt. Carmel Junction to I-15 (partly through Mt. Zion National Park).

But if one stays on US89 North, and then turn west on UT20, it's 81 miles to I-15; but you join it at Exit 95 rather than 27. It's almost 40 miles shorter, and I think will be faster.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM

The fastest way would be to take Hwy 89 north to Bear Valley Junction and then take highway 20 to I-15. We've driven on 20 and it's a nice route.

One thing you haven't taken into consideration is the traffic in Salt Lake City. More than likely you are going to hit the city during commute time unless you are driving on the weekend. Even it it's on a weekend you could hit traffic through the city which will slow you down. I've seen some of your other posts. You are doing this trip in May. I would check to see when sunset and sunrise are going to be in the areas you are traveling in. http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html Once it gets dark you will probably need to slow down on hwy 20 in Montana because wild life comes out at dusk.

My Microsoft streets and trips program is usually pretty good when it comes to driving times. It came up with 842 miles and 14 hours and 88 minutes. This doesn't take into consideration stopping for gas, food and bathroom. My times are based on driving 75 miles per hour on the Interstate.

Utahtea
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM

IMO, if you are going to take a trip, enjoy the trip. Driving from the South Rim to west Yellowstone in one day is ridiculous. The last time we did that it took three days, and that is after we had already done it before. There is so much to see and do: North Rim, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Salt Lake City, Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons to name a few. Slow down, don't try to do everything in one trip.

I hope I haven't offended.
8-)
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, all. No one has offended!

This trip is going to be be a rare visit to the west for us, and over the course of 3 weeks there simply are locations that we ARE going to hit. Trust me, the entire trip is not nearly that frantic!

Here's an idea we considered so as to not cause a collapse to the house of cards that is our reserved itinerary:

How about leaving Grand Canyon immediately post-sunset (maybe even viewing from the east entrance to have a head start - Desert View?), driving for 3 to 4 hours, budget-hoteling for the night, and then doing the remaining 10 the next day?

Concerns would be missing some spectacular scenery upon leaving the GC area, driving in that area @ night (is it a reservation?) due to wildlife or desolation, and finding a place to stay at that 3-4 hour point.

Sadly, we most likely would not be able to spend any quality time anywhere in that area (southern Utah, I'm guessing would be a 3-4 hour point) the following day due to a still-long 10-ish hr drive, but maybe we'd catch some nice sunrise scenery on our way out

Any suggestions for a cheapie 3-4 hr drive out at night or warnings on nighttime driving through that area?
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:01 AM

That is not an area I would like to drive in after dark - winding roads, etc.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:30 AM
TheWeasel

From jamaltay: "There is so much to see and do: North Rim, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Salt Lake City, Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons to name a few. Slow down, don't try to do everything in one trip."

I agree with what you've said, but I think the OP is doing exactly what you're suggesting (minus the slow down part). He's not trying to do everything in one trip, which is why he's not trying to fit in a stop at all those places you listed. So often here I see comments like yours (and I'm not at all being critical of you) and I mostly agree, but sometimes, in order to give yourself time to really slow down and enjoy, it's necessary to skip things and drive long distances to get there. That's what I think OP is doing here.

As for where to stay after GC, I think your two best options are Page, AZ or Kanab, UT.

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I've done the drive from Springdale, Utah (Zion NP) to Yellowstone and it took about 12 hours. This was in September and the weather was not a problem but we were terrified after dark due to the wildlife and windy roads. My advice is whatever you do, make sure you get an early enough start that you can get to your destination by dark.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM

How long are you spending at the Grand Canyon?

I ask because if you could leave the Grand Canyon Village around 1:00 or 2:00 P.M., stop at the scenic overlooks on your way to Desert View and then you could make Page, AZ by sunset. One of the most scenic sections will be the one as you exit the Grand Canyon and drive north to Page, AZ. It would be a shame to miss it in the dark.

BTW, you really don't have to many options for places to stay. Page, Big Waters and Kanab are about it.

Utahtea
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks for all the input. Based on a blend of recommendations I think we'll stay in Kanab. Mapquest has desert view to kanab @ 3 1/2 hrs-ish (does that feel realistic?) Figure we'll poke our way along desert view drive + overlooks early afternoon and then hit the east entrance for 3:00-ish. Based on mapquest this feels like plenty of time to hit Kanbab WELL before the 7:30-ish sunset, no? Remember, we'll already have spent our time along the eastern south rim (SE Rim?) and should be hitting the park exit at 3:00 or so...

I dunno, feels good on paper, not worried about "rushing it" a little for that leg of our trip as long as we're safe, but feedback always helpful.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM

If time is the main factor you should get on I-15 ASAP if you want to make West Yellowstone in a day.

I've driven 89 in Arizona & Utah, it is not for speed. You have to slow down going thru all the small towns. Also, a lot of it is two lane and hilly. And don't go thru Zion. The roads are very slow in the NP and you have to stop a long time at the tunnel for single lane traffic. Instead, from Kanab take the lower route thru Fredonia to Hurricance, it's faster and not as hilly with less RVs.

Also, I'd stay in Hurricane since there are a TON of new hotels in the western section of town. You could get up in the morning have a quick breakfest and be jamming north on I-15 in only a few minutes.

Also, I'd get the AAA "Four Corners Indian Country Map" for this area.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM

If you leave Desert View by 3:00 P.M. you should be able to make Kanab, Utah by 7:00 P.M.

Utahtea