Long Beach hotels?

Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
boilermaker

Long Beach hotels?

I am a poor college graduate who is planning on attending a conference in Long Beach in early February. I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown or the Best Western Golden Sails Hotel. Are they at all nice (remember...I am poor and these are the only ones that I can afford). Also, is there transportation from LAX? How long is the walk to the Convention Center or is there public transporation of some type? I was in Long Beach over the Rose Bowl weekend back in 2001 but did not explore too much. I am really looking forward to going back. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Dec 7th, 2002, 11:09 AM
boilermaker

Anyone out there??

Dec 7th, 2002, 02:35 PM
bobcat

I don't know about those hotels, but I know that you can get hotels very cheap using Priceline. For example, people have received the Hyatt regency Long beach for under $30/day in December. check www.biddingfortravel.com and check the LA Suburbs hotels bids section for more details.

To get to downtown Long beach from LAX by public transit, take the free shuttle to the Green Line train and then switch to the Blue line train to Long Beach. The Blue line will take you all the way to downtown Long beach and should drop you off within walking distance of the hotels and convention center. One way fare is $1.70 and shouldn't take too long, maybe 45 minutes or less.

Dec 14th, 2002, 01:24 PM
zz-top

If you haven't already bought your airfare, consider flying directly into Long Beach airport. In addition to American Airlines, Jet Blue also flies here; it's a great little airport.

Dec 14th, 2002, 01:32 PM
JBX

^

How about the Long Beach Convention Center Travelodge ?

Jan 1st, 2003, 09:21 PM
Barbara

Don't know about the Holiday Inn, but the Golden Sails is a "reasonably" priced, decent hotel. It's about 4-5 miles from the downtown area (and the Convention Center) but we have a good bus service in Long Beach. The "Passport" shuttle stops right outside the Golden Sails and will drop you at the Convention Center - for 90 cents. It's close to the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach with lots of restaurants and people watching and shops.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:31 AM
gail

When I need inexpensive in LB, I usually go with the Queen Mary. The lower end rooms are not fancy, but they will upgrade you for free if there is room. the free bus stops outside the hotel as well.

Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:37 PM
bored

Go with the Golden Sails-you are not in downtown which I could not recommend after dark. The Bus system is very good and the Golden Sails is near a busy shopping center, the marina, the college--nicer area by far..

Jan 6th, 2003, 01:23 PM
boilermaker

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I have made reservations at the Holiday Inn due to the price. I do have one more question, however. What is the best way to get from downtown LB to Santa Monica? The only way that I know how is to take the Metro to LAX and then the bus to Santa Monica (I forget the name of this bus...it has Blue in the name though). Could anyone verify this or suggest a better route? Thanks.