Seattle Itinerary Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to Seattle and Vancouver for 3.5 days each at the end of the month and wanted some suggestions for what to see/do in those 3.5 days in Seattle near Labor Day weekend. I have already read some guidebooks and searched for info on this board, so I have some ideas for what to do, including the usual suspects (Pike Place Market, Space Needle, etc.), Mt. Rainier for a day, and Bumbershoot, which sounds fun. We don't have enough time to leave the area other than Mt. Rainier, so I'm just looking for Seattle-area suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM

The Argosy boat tours are a fun way to see a different view of the City. They leave from the docks next to the Washington State Ferry terminal. Our favorite was the one that goes along the Seattle shoreline and then through the Ballard locks, passing into Lake Union where it docks. They then bus you back to your starting point. It takes about 2 1/2 hours, but you get to see Seattle from the water, the Locks and a number of the houseboats on Lake Union. The Argosy boats are very comfortable, having both indoor and outdoor seating as well as full bars and snacks you can purchase. If you have time, the Seattle Art Museum is very close to Pike Place Market and there is a special Van Gogh exhibit that is there until--I think--mid Sept. It's well worth seeing.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM

The Argosy boat ride to the locks was fun and beautiful scenery. We took a tour of the new library which was extremely interesting.Also the underground tour was entertaining and informative.
Have fun.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:47 PM

If you like nature, you might like to take a walk in the Arboredum or go to the Japanese Garden there...also lots and lots of parks, and beaches such as Alki Point. You might enjoy taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island. If you have a car and love gardens, check out the Bellevue Botanical Garden (make sure you don't try to go from Seattle to Bellevue during rush hour).

The Seattle Art Museum is a good suggestion, and you might check out the possibility for concerts, opera, etc. at SeattleWeekly.com.

The Seattle Aquarium is nice as well (though one is in Vancouver is probably better) and the rose garden by Woodlawn Park Zoo is beautiful.

The University of Washington campus is gorgeous (Arboredum and Japanese Garden are nearby).

Greenlake is a fun place to walk around.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I will add them to our itinerary. We are now debating going to Mt. St. Helens instead of Mt. Rainier for the day. How long will it take us to get to both from downtown Seattle? Any opinions on which one would be better to visit?
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:30 PM

I've been to both and would pick Mt. Rainer because they haven't had a volcano erupt there (yet) and it's lusher and greener. But if you're interested in seeing a mountain where a volcano has erupted recently, Mt. St. Helens would be your best bet. Just depends.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:34 PM

P.S. Mt. Rainer is closer as well.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Mt St Helens is roughly an hour (on freeway) longer to get to each way, figure 2-2.5 hrs for Mt Rainier, 3-3.5 for St Helens.

Note for roughly the same travel time, you can cross Puget Sound on a ferry (thereby seeing some of the same scenery as from the Argosy boat) and drive to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. IMO the scenery up there is the equal of Rainier or MSH (different, of course) and the drive/ferry journey is way more beautiful and interesting than the drive to either of the volcanoes. There is some risk of having to wait an extra 40 min. or so for the Bainbridge Island ferry, but then again the traffic at the Mt. Rainier lodge parking lots can also be hugely irritating on popular days.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:28 PM

I would suggest you go to Mt. Rainier...it's much more dramatic and a bit closer. Another beautiful drive is highway 2, over the north cascade highway...you can go to Leavenworth, which is a small "kitchy" german town. It's really the drive that is so beautful, and it's probably about 3 hours from Seattle. The idea of taking the Bambridge Island Ferry is a good one too. You can take it as a passenger only, jump off the Ferry and spend a couple of hours checking out some of the local shops on the island (all within walking distance from the Bainbridge Ferry terminal). I live in downtown Seattle, so I certainly suggest the Pike Place Market and walk down first avenue in the evening (in any direction) and you'll find tons of restaurants, shops and bars. If you need suggestions let me know.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:02 AM

Sheryl,

All the usual toursit spots have already been mentioned. If you're looking for something a little different, try these:
Fremont - about 5 miles from downtown (20 minutes bus ride), a fun, hip, artsy community with nice shops and restaurants - look for the Troll under the Bridge;

Chinatown - especially the store Uwajimaya - I take all of my out of town guests there and they are amazed. Have lunch in one of the many stalls.

When in Pioneer Square, walk through the Elliott Bay Bookstore - one of the largest in the country.

Take a walk in Myrtle Edwards Park - a lovely downtown seattle waterfront park with amazing views of the Olympics.