Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Logistics and route help for a Santa Fe/Mesa Verde trip.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travel will be next year in late June or early July. We will be arriving from the West Coast. My givens are to see Mesa Verde, preferably staying in Far View Lodge for at least two nights, maybe three. I also want to spend at least 5 to 6 nights in Santa Fe.

What is the best way to do that? Drive from ABQ to Mesa Verde first, then on to SantaFe? Or the other way around?

How would one incorporate a visit to Chaco Canyon into all of this? An overnight in Farmington or Bloomfield? Or a "drive by" on our way from Mesa Verde to Santa Fe?

I'd like to keep the trip to 10 or 11 nights of travel time. I've looked at maps and so far I am a little baffled by what an itinerary would look like.

2 nights Far View Lodge
2 nights near Farmington/Bloomfield in order to see Chaco Canyon and Aztec
6 nights in Santa Fe. Tent Rocks, Bandelier, Pueblos, Shop and Eat.

Is the drive from Farmington/Bloomfield area to Santa Fe on the 64/84 route a scenic route or have anything to recommend it?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 04:54 PM

There are some NM 'experts' on the forum and hopefully they can give you better info. But I'll say that on our trip last summer we drove from ABQ to Durango on RT 550 - the most direct route - and it was VERY boring. It's a decent road, painless but boring. We spent the first night in Durango, the next at Far View and then the third in the area back in Durango. I really enjoyed Mesa Verde but one full day was really enough. We did Cliff, Balcony and Spruce Tree House. We planned to spend most of the two days at Mesa Verde but the following morning we decided instead to drive up to Silverton and were really glad we did. The drive up through the mountains is so beautiful and I liked Silverton more than I expected to.

We drove from Durano to Santa Fe via Pagosa Springs, a little more scenic than the drive from ABQ to Durango. We did a day trip to Taos and also did Tent Rocks - now that was AMAZING, loved it.

I did a trip report that may be useful to you. The first half is Utah/Az so scroll half way down to get to the NM/CO part.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...parks-trip.cfm
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks isabel.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else????
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM

I can add to isabels ideas. Actually, most people visiting Mesa Verde do the 3 mentioned above but miss out on some of the best parts of MVNP. Time should be taken to go out to Wetheril Mesa and see Step House, Long House and Badger House. Long House is VERY different than Cliff, Balcony or Spruce Tree in that you are allowed to actually walk in to the dwelling and stand and look out and see almost the same view as the ancient puebloans saw so long ago.

If you enjoy hiking, the Petroglyph Trail is a must do. And the Knife Edge one from the campgrounds is also spectacular.

I think 2 days minimum is needed, maybe 3.

Chaco Canyon can't really be done while driving from Durango to Santa Fe. It is a pretty long drive into the area from SR 550 and you would want to spend some time once there. Trouble is that Chaco is a pretty good drive to anywhere you would want to stay- Bloomfield most likely.

Aztec is small and wouldn't take long and really isn't a must see.

Driving 550 from ABQ to Durango is the fastest way, but it isn't all the scenic for much of it.

A day trip to Taos is highly suggested. And I would also suggest a day or 2 in Albuquerque to see some of our sites.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DebitNM.

I have read that making time for the Wetheril Mesa area is a good idea. I would like to do some hiking.

Is there a more scenic route to Mesa Verde from ABQ that you would suggest?

I am actually now thinking about driving to Canyon de Chelly from ABQ for two nights, then to Mesa Verde, and then on to Santa Fe, skipping Chaco. Any thoughts about that plan?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Unfortunately, there really isn't a more scenic route. That said, there are parts of the trip that are really nice. There is just one stretch in particular that is pretty boring with little in the way of scenery. I have to admit that I have driven this roads dozens and dozens of time [commuting between homes] and to me, the boring part is really boring. For someone who has never driven it, it may not be THAT bad.

I am ashamed to say I have not been to Canyon de Chelly so I can't input on that as a sub for Chaco. I don't think I would do 2 nights there though. IF you leave from Durango early in the morning, you could do a stop at Chaco for a bit of time, at least to get a feel of the magnificence of it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/ChacoCanyon
https://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/MesaVerdeMay2009
https://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/AztecRuins
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 03:56 AM

Canyon de Chelley is very different from Chaco both are fantastic and I wouldn't want to have to decide on which to choose. To really see CdC you need to get a Navajo guide with a 4wd if you don't have one of your own and take a day trip into the area. People still live and farm/herd sheep in CdC and there are ruins throughout the area. You can drive along the rim on your own and hike down to one ruin (White House ruin), but unless you make arrangements with a guide, you cannot really hike in CdC although there are horseback trips too. Chaco is not a place where people still live (except for some NP rangers). The ruins are extensive and there are lots of petroglyphs, etc. We have stayed in Bloomfield at one of the chain motels when we visit CdC. The road in is paved for about 5 miles then is gravel for about 10 miles. If they have graded it recently it will be ok. If it has rained or not been graded it will be a challenge and has some places where you could not pass if flooded. There is more opportunity for hiking at Chaco.

If you go past Chaco and come in from the west towards Santa Fe you will pass Valles caldera (look for baby elk at that time of year) and Bandelier NP. Bandelier has cliff dwellings carved into the soft rock (hardened volcanic ash) and provides an interesting comparison to Mesa Verde. Bandelier is an hour or so westish of Santa Fe near Los Alamos. There is a neat area of it separated from the main park called Tsankawai about 5 miles closer to SF that we have enjoyed hiking in. I have some pictures of it at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009/sets if you care to look.

Have a fantastic trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

emalloy, when you visited Chaco and stayed at Bloomfield, did you stay one night or two, or did you spend the night after Chaco somewhere past Chaco? That is my dilemma. Do I stay in Bloomfield two nights in order to spend a full day at Chaco (driving back and forth) or do we spend one night in Bloomfield, get an early start, spend a good amount of time at Chaco and then head south? If we do that, where would we spend the night after a day at Chaco?

I am aware of the guide situation in CdCh, but thanks for the extra information.

I am thinking of Bandelier as a day trip from Santa Fe.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 05:12 AM

We were on our way from MV and stayed at Bloomfield the night before, got up early, went to Chaco (about a half hour to the turn in at Nageezi) and then continued south to the road east to Jemez and Los Alamos. I think we stayed somewhere near the turn, once we stayed in Los Alamos then went to Bandelier and on to Santa Fe. The other time we were heading back and I think we went all the way to Bernallilo. As I recall there are not many places to stay along 550 except in Bloomfield and Bernallilo.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM

There are no places to stay between Bloomfield/Aztec and
Bernalillo. I would not go BACK to Bloomfield after Chaco if you go to CdC for a day; I would just head to Bernalillo. there is a good Holiday Inn Express that often can be "won" on Hotwire for under $50.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the great suggestions.