Reload this Page >

LODGING: TETONS? YELLOWSTONE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 04:01 AM
Stan

I am trying to figure out the logistics of where to stay while visiting the Tetons (first) and then where to stay while visiting Yellowstone for 3 days. Should we move around or stay in one place? Never been there before and want to see as much as possible without spending too much time driving back and forth to motel. THANKS!

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 06:19 AM
Bob Brown

If you are planning on being in Yellowstone between June 1 and September 15, rooms in the various cabins, lodges, and hotels are already severely limited.
If you are planning a late spring or summer trip, your movements are going to be dictated by where you can find a place to stay. Your best bet now is to try West Yellowstone and Jackson. Each town has numerous motels.
There is a website for Amfacs, the concessioner for Yellowstone,
http://www.ynp-lodges.com/
You can check it for availability.
But I just checked Grant Village for June 15 and it is full. (Grant Village is not the only place, but my son reserved 2 months ago and he could not get what he wanted. He wanted to stay 4 nights in one place, but had to take two different places in less than the best accommodations. I booked in December for August.)
Hope you can find something.
In the Tetons there is Signal Mountain Lodge, Jenny Lake Lodge, and Colter Bay.
But these too are popular places.
You did not say when you are going, so that might have an impact. You might be able to find something for mid May.
But right now rooms for summer are severely limited.

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 11:32 AM
stan

We will be there the 3rd week of May. Thanks for the help!

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 06:46 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Stan. Out of curiosity I tried Grant Village, Lake Yellowstone Lodge and Cabins, and the Old Faithful Inn for May 17 and 18th. Sorry, no room in the Inn, literally. Try motels in West Yellowstone, but they fill up too. That place could be turned into a gold mine if it were not under government control.
You might end up in Bozeman, MT or St. Anthony, Idaho.

Old Apr 3rd, 1999, 06:39 AM
Cricket

Stan, we stayed in Jackson at a great little inn called the Rusty Parrot. It only had about 30 rooms, but the service was great, and the rooms were beautiful. Located about 3 blocks from downtown Jackson. An easy drive from the Tetons, but farther to Yellowstone. You might want to stay in Yellowstone Park for that part of your trip, you could never drive back and forth and see it all. Good luck!

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 05:00 AM
Lynn

Dear Stan:

We visited the Tetons and Yellowstone during the third week of May last year, and although we booked several months in advance for Yellowstone, we had no reservations at all for the Tetons area.

We tried to find something in the town of Jackson but had no luck, so drove about one mile outside of the town square towards the ski resort. Jackpot!! We found a great resort at the base of the mountains called The Lodge at Jackson Hole, run by Best Western. It is normally a very expensive ski resort, but because it was off season we were given a great room at a fabulous price. In addition, we practically had the place to ourselves, and the panoramic views were unbeatable. We couldn't believe our luck in finding this place, especially since downtown Jackson seemed to be sold out.

I still have the brochure we picked up there, so here are the numbers if you're interested: toll free 1-800-458-3866 or direct (307) 739-9703.

Good luck! If you do go there I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.