Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging/Restaurant between Palm Springs and La Jolla?

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 11:10 AM
Audrey

After attending a conference in Palm Springs next month, we will spend a few days in La Jolla before flying home from San Diego. Can someone suggest inns, restaurants, or places to see--even an interesting route--between Palm Springs and LaJolla?

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 03:44 PM
Louis

On the way to La Jolla spend the night at La Casa Del Zorro Resort Hotel in Borrego Springs. Get up early and hike to the end of Palm Canyon in the State Park. This will give you a feel of the true desert.

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:09 PM
jj

Audrey: We had a wonderful dinner at La Terrazza in La Jolla, an Italian restaurant that overlooks the ocean. Food, wine and service were excellent, combined with a beautiful sunset. In Palm Springs, we had another wonderful dinner at the Sea Grille in the Marriott in Palm Desert, where a boat takes you to the restaurant. We also enjoyed the cinnamon rolls and patty melt at Louise's in Palm Springs, next to the Palm Springs Follies. Don't miss a date milkshake while you're in the Coachella Valley. Have fun!

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:47 PM
SDSam

I live in the San Digo area and frequently visit Palm Springs. There is no need to stop for the night between Palm Springs and La Jolla. It is a pretty short trip no matter which way you go. There are several routes to get to La Jolla. The most direct is to go east on I-10 to hwy 60 to I-215 which merges with I-15 at Rancho California. You then drive south on I-15 to the San Diego area. There are many ways to get to La Jolla off of I-15. You can take the Miramar Rd exit west straight into La Jolla. Traveling time will be approximately 2 hours.

Now for some interesting deviations. My favorite is to take the hwy from Palm Desert up the mountain through Anza. Don't remember hwy number. This will meet up with hwy 79 west that will take you into Temecula and I-15. This is a scenic route that does not take much longer than the first route. Look at a map and it will be very obvious what route I mean. I travel it so often that I just don't pay attention to numbers. Just go east on 111 from Palm Sprinsg to Palm Desert and then turn right onto the aforementioned hwy. It is at the El Paseo ( very upscale shopping area ) in Palm Desert. Note of caution: I would not recommend this route if it is cold as you could run into some ice on the road. You will reach elevaltions of 4000'. Normally it is OK but make sure.

Another longer route is through Borrego Springs and then up the mountain to Warner Springs or you can Through Julian. There are various options at this point. Yopu can go through to Escondido and I-15 or Poway and I-15. In any event just go south on I-15 to Miramar rd.

Another VERY scenic deviation is to cut across from I-15 through Rancho Sante Fe to Del Mar at I-5 and then proceed on to La Jolla.

BTW, where you are going in La Jolla will determine your exact exit from the freeway.

Restaurants: I highly recommend Billy Dean's in Palm Springs just north of downtown. I also highly recommend Penfolds' in Temucula. La Jolla and San Diego have far too many good restaurants to list. BTW, La Jolla is not a city. It is part of San Diego

Old Jan 24th, 1999, 08:29 PM
Dayle

I would recommend the Cafe Champagne at Thornton Winery in Temecula. It's excellent, but you will need reservations. Also, take time for a tasting. On hour on weekends, except some Sundays when they are closed for jazz concerts. Call for the concert schedule. They are great, but always sell out.

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 08:21 PM
John

Hi:

I have lived in PS for almost 12 years. Definitely recommend the route over the mountains through Anza for a scenic route to the San Diego coast. Take Highway 111 east into Palm Desert then go up Highway 74, Follow the signs and it will deposit you at I-15 in Temecula (wine country). The reader who said it was a short drive and you would not need accommodations is correct, about 2-1/2 hours tops in most circumstances. But certainly there are great little places to check out. If you are game for an little diversion, go to Julian. There is a very nice little B & B there and a couple decent restaurants.

If you want a couple restaurant recommendations in PS e me.