Reload this Page >

Lodging off I-70 in Utah

Search

Lodging off I-70 in Utah

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:10 PM
paul

Lodging off I-70 in Utah

We will be traveling from Grand Junction Colorado to Las Vegas on I-70 through Utah. Seeking advice on motels and and/or campgrounds on this trip.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 11:34 PM
diane

I don't know about the I-70 portion of your trip, but when I-70 deadends at I-15 in the middle (of nowhere) in Utah, you will turn south (left). Soon you will come to small towns with motels. A larger town with lots of motels is Cedar City. About an hour further on is St. George, an even larger town with even more motels and restaurants. It is a two-hour drive from St. George to Vegas.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:34 AM
paul

Thanks Diane. I am familiar with that section of I-70/I-15. We are leaving Grand Junction Friday evening and wanted to drive about 1-2 hours and stop. I don't know if there is anywhere to lodge or camp in that area of Utah.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:42 AM
Linda

Made this trip last summer, only from Denver. There is NOTHING until Richfield. Most of the exits are ranch roads and I couldn't find anything in Green River, Elgin, or Crescent Junction. Sorry. Think you'll need to drive further. Only other option, which may or may not fit into your plans, is to leave I-70 at exit 202 and take Rt 128 to Moab (43 miles along a very scenic route). The next day, leave Moab and take 191 north alongside Arches NP. You might be able to drive in for a few hours and see some glorious scenery.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:25 AM
dan

There are several hotels in Green River, Utah, and one, Best Western River Terrace, is actually pretty nice. Most of the rooms look out over the river and for a roadside hotel, it is real nice. I did my thesis work (Geology) south of Green River, and the area is fairly desolate, so Green River always looked pretty good.
If you are looking to camp, there are lots of places in the San Rafael Swell, just west of Green River.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:11 PM
paul

Thank you Linda and Dan. There appears to be a campground in Green River. Dan - are you familiar with this one?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:55 PM
Dan

Here is a little info on the Green River State Park. It is okay, but within the town of Green River.

http://www.utah.com/places/state_parks/

If you don't want to wander too far off of I-70, I would again recommend the San Rafael Swell Area, you can get info on this web page.
You will be near, but not really in the best part of Southern Utah. Just south are spectacular National Parks (Zions, Bryce, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, etc.)

If the goal is to get to Las Vegas, then the Green River State Park would be adequate.

I Highly recommend, even if time is important, that you swing through Kolob Canyon, which is only a short loop off of I-15, I think it is exit 39 or something like that. It is a short drive with breath taking scenary.

Have fun.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:34 AM
Linda

Paul, We camped overnight at the Green River State Park 2 yrs ago - it was a simple but nice and adequate campground w/plenty of shade, paved turn-ins, showers and water hydrants. The river is right there and pretty, and there's a nice little "general store" a mile or so up the road where you turn off to go to the campground. We enjoyed it.....

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:37 AM
paul

Thanks for all of your advice. It has been very helpful. It looks like the Green River area is where we will stay friday night. Whether we camp or get a room will depend on the time of day we arrive. Our ultimate goal is to reach Idlywild California by Sunday as we have a camprground reserved for that night. Las Vegas over this weekend (Labor Day) is very crowded and the hotel prices are very high as rooms are very limited. So we may skip Las Vegas and go there on the way back. If anyone has any other suggestions for our trip for sights, camping, and/or lodging along I-70 and I-15, they would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:44 AM
To the

To the top..........