Search

Lodging in Frisco

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Jude

Lodging in Frisco

I have a reservation at the Columbus Motor in on Columbus Avenue. Anyone know if it is a dive? They say it is close to the Wharf. Also, anyone know of any good consignment shops around the area?

Thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Teri

We were there a year ago and now recommend it to all our friends. It was clean, cheap, the rooms were large, we were on the 3rd floor and had a view of Alcatraz and Coit Tower, the staff was very helpful, parking was free, the bus line was right out the door, and the cable car line was a block away. This is however a Motor Inn, so there is no restaurant, elaborate lobby, or consierge. There is also no pool.

The Wharf is 2 to 3 block away. I did not see any consignment stores in the area, but I wasn't looking for them either.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 08:26 PM
John

NEVER EVER say Frisco. The locals will whack you with a wet noodle for doing such!!! Seriously, it's either "San Francisco" or "The City."

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Anne

Sorry, John. Only New York can be referred to as "the City".

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Bob

Not in California, Anne. San Francisco is widely known as "The City."

New York, get over yourself!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Sam

Bob - Sorry, but you must be speaking strictly for Northern California. Down here in Southern California, if you say that you're going to the city, it would be assumed to mean Los Angeles.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Caitlin

Just goes to show that no big city in the country has a monopoly on "the city." I live in Ny now, but grew up in the SF area, and John's not kidding; just about everyone calls SF "the City"--much more prevalent than in NY. And yes, I did cringe when I saw "lodging in Frisco"! What can I say, we're touchy.

But Jude, you'll be fine at the Columbus Motor Inn. You'll find the best consignment and vintage shops in the Union St. and Haight areas.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:23 AM
joe

Never, ever frisco--not even worth capitol f. Can't stand LA or LAX either!!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Ed

Joe,
You might not like it, but everyone in Southern California does call Los Angeles by LA and why not use LAX to describe the airport? With so many airports in this region, it just simplifies things.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:30 PM
LA

So, denizens of The City (ugh), what is the proper phrasing to use when ordering a "Frisco Burger"? I certainly would not want to offend anyone.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Souvenir

So...

San Francisco: How about San Fran? Sin Frisky?

Oo-ooh, and don't call dem dere cable cars as "trollies," they'll take away your alfalfa sprouts off your pizza.

New York City: How about NYC? NY? But if you sound it out, it would be En-Ya... a terrible musical assult/insult to the city.

Back here in Podunk, KY, and Flyover, AR, we refer to the trailer park as "the city."

Get over yourselves. Y'all left your midwest roots, didn't ya, and wish to sound superior!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 02:13 PM
Ha

Ha!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 02:39 PM
kam

Sorry everyone, but it really is annoying to hear "Frisco". We can all argue over what is "the city" but please don't call us Frisco. Even though San Jose is larger than San Francisco, they still refer to SF as "the city". I remember a friend who lived in CT. referring to New York City as "Manhattan".Is that wrong? When I lived in Pasadena, we only said we were going to the Westside, Santa Monica,Beverly Hills, downtown etc. I don't think any of us really knew where L.A. started or ended! In Chicago, I don't recall what we said.....anyone? Anyway, put aside the silliness and tell Jude that she'll be fine at the Columbus Motor Hotel and that she will enjoy shopping on Union and Fillmore Streets. And, as an aside, I believe that SFO, LAX and San Fran have been popularized by airline personnel for obvious reasons. Let's all get a grip!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:24 PM
dana

I had to laugh at that "Frisco" thing.
For some reason it always reminds me of
"Crisco" or that fine wine "Cisco."
And even my hair dresser in Concord still refers to it as "We're going to
Frisco." Aggggggh! And yes, all that aside, it is the CITY. Haven't even hear anyone say, "I'm going to San Francisco for dinner .... or whatever.
It's always, "I had to go to the City."
Now, as for that Frisco-pher Columbus place, I recall seeing it before, but can't quite recollect it. I've heard Cow Hollow Inn is pretty adequate. I think it's near Lombard or on Lombard, and my friend's relatives stayed there recently. I think they're reasonably priced suites. You might want to check into it.